Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

punk & fashion

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by punkerfucker, Nov 26, 2009.

1. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Who cares if some don't like it, do what makes you feel good...if that means liberty spikes and bondage gear so be it, if not wear what is good for you, but don't ever snob another punk for what they are or aren't wearing.... that's elitest at its worst.

2. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

indeed :p

3. FLAmoeba

FLAmoeba Active Member Forum Member

Jan 17, 2010

Ok so ive been listening to punk for acouple of years now just got my first mohawk a week or three ago I live in Tampa Bay Florida for those of you who dont know, some witty prick invinted the

"Rayhawk
    A short mohawk dyed bright blue named due to the popularity of the style among Tampa Bay Rays players. The style has later become popular with the fans also." -Wikipedia

talk about posers....most of the people I've met with mohawks that listen to punk care only about smoking drinking and thrash metal....what ever floats your boat just dont associate me with it

4. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

you dont have to be punk to have a mohawk

and fuck ya mn woo thrash hahaha but meh crossover thrash is where its at if ur gunna be liseng to shit like that

5. FLAmoeba

FLAmoeba Active Member Forum Member

Jan 17, 2010

You could be wearing more english cones and studs than leather waving a huge Anarchy flag and throwing molotov cocktails at cop cars and fast food joints....you'd get asked if you watched the last rays game....

thrash is cool but the "punk-kids" around my area are shitheads who could careless if society is getting screwed over they just want to play around in the woods park and mall. I could care less if you have long hair short hair a mohawk or no hair it's whats in your skull that matters

6. ILuvEire

ILuvEire Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 5, 2010

Couldn't agree more.

7. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    i just want to say that punk fashion isn't exactly shocking or scary to the mainstream world anymore. Those who think they are being rebellious by looking punk are misguided.

8. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I think fashion is pretty fun. I don't dress punk as fuck or anyhing but I do have a but of punk gear. A typical outfit for me lately would be a simple shirt, tight pants and my vegan vans (and if you catch me on a non school day, a black bandanna). Nothing special. I have a DIY hoody and a non-DIY vest. The hoody is covered in anarcho punk patches but all that's on the vest is an amebix backpatch a PE patch and some patch about globalization.. Hopefully I'll be crafting more clothes soo because I really enjoy it. I have dreadlocks and listen mostly to crust but I don't have dreadlocks because I listen to crust. I've wanted dreads my entire life (now if I cut my dreads into some semi-ironic rattail or mullet, THEN you can blame the crust :p). I don't have any thing against punk fashionistas but I don't like a lot of punk fashion. Boots have always looked stupid as fuck to me (except on my dad, since he works and needs them) and Mohawks and other super spikey haircuts have always been lame to me (don't ask me why or take offense! this is just my personal preference)I do however, like a good flathawk. I just ordered a bunch of band shirts with my birthday money and will probably by se patches too. I guess I'm a capitalist :p. My problem with fashion isn't the fashion itself but rather the elitism associated with it, rather that be pro-fashion or anti-fashion. Honestly, who cares?!?

9. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

Oh yeah and my opinion on socks...I WILL DIE before I wear the same color of socks every day. My socks must have somethig going for them or else I will drift into a depression when looking at them. Purple ones today :D argyle tommorow. Thats just how I roll.

10. joaquin666

joaquin666 Member Forum Member

Apr 5, 2010

Listen to this shit on here! I know im punk. I hate people acting or trying to look punk. Fuck, you guys need to realise. This is not a scene. This is not something you become. Its not the music you listen to. Its not the close you wear. Its not the friends you have. Its not any of this shit!
    Punk and Anarchy are ways of life. A spirituality of sorts. You cant just up and decide who is punk or what is punk based on what you think is punk, its exactlky what society does. Makes the judgment on what they think of it. Just practice your beliefs and make anarchy grow. UNITY!

11. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

well I think fashion is good as long as it is DIY and not overly.
    Im not dressing like punk and Im not trying to becouse of the stupid comments by everyone especially so called punks. i made myself a nice mohawk becouse I find it very interesting when its "up".

12. ILuvEire

ILuvEire Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 5, 2010

I couldn't agree more!

I think that fashion is something very personal for an individual person. There are so many different styles, why not just switch it up and be a different style every day! Fashion for me consists of the clothes that I like. I think that someone can wear argyle sweater vests, and be more of an anarchist than some dude with a pink mohawk and a studded leather jacket. Same thing for music, I listen to the music I like, and that consists of punk, but a lot of reggae too. I dress, simply, how I like. I have a few pairs of jeans and sweats that I wear to match the shirts I wear (which can range from political slogans, to simple white t-shirts).

Something that has always bothered me though, has been anti-fashion. It basically says that what is currently fashionable, do the opposite. I also don't understand people who just try to dress in the most interesting way possible. Who fucking cares? Wear what's comfortable, and what you think looks good. Grah.

13. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

Is anyone else noticing a contradiction here? :p

14. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

nice spot there...

15. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

lol ahahahahaha ahahha FAIL ahahhaha
    i was like that at one point

16. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

Says the guy who took the time to take a picture of himself doing the classic middle finger pose...The ironing is delicious.

17. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member Forum Member

Mar 21, 2010

its not what you wear but who you are that counts,
    saying that it cheers my up and makes my day when i see some young kid in full punk gear
    i wore all the punk fashions in the early 80,s then went crust now i am just a tramp (or so my wife says !), it sort of restores my faith in the younger generations if i see a studded jacket with a badly painted DISCHARGE on the back topped by mohawk.

18. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Oh fuck.... I usually do that too... but that's just 'cause I hate pictures being taken of me :p

19. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

yes I avoid that too. I have a lack of selfconifidence and I hate being photoed. And all those stupid comments on my picture...

20. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

I agreed with what you have said, and those lyrics are fairly spot on. The only ones that piss me off are the ones who know what punk is, know what it is about but dislike it. Yet they still take the identity that punk has created over the years because they think it makes them looker 'cooler'. Edit: I will add further, I personally like the identity we have even if it does not make you 'punk'. I like walking down the street being able to spot someone who has the same interests as me. We are not a majority obviously, but I like seeing others enjoying what I enjoy and it gives this great sense of a community. When that gets taken away, it starts becoming hard to tell who is actually wearing it for punk or just another fashion accessory with no meaning.