Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

punk band help:D

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Adam182, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Adam182

Adam182 Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 1, 2010

so within the next year i plan to to try to start a punk band im 15 and i write lyrics i dont have the best expiriance in writing lyrics i need like some examples and help to where it doesnt sound stupid and i can get my point accros:D the help would be very thankfull

2. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

keep it from the heart thats all that matters thats what i do

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    best advice for writing songs, read the lyrics of bands you like and get a sense for how they were written, but becareful not to rip them off. freewriting helps too, then you at least have an outline to start with.

4. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

It's great you write lyrics. I've been playing in bands for long and i've written many songs and i suck at lyrics. They always come afterwards, which sucks.

There fore, get some lyric - doesn't matter if it's not that melodic or complicated, just a simple outline on some sort of melody. They will be more and more melodic over time as you get the hang on it. Then, start playing some chords behind it, and then from there, start creating something more excited - put riffs on, breaks, etc.

The easiest way is to start with intro - verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus - outro. You can also put in a pre-chorus and such. Later on, you can experiment with more exciting ways of building up the songs.
    Lyrical, you might want to start with stuff that rhymes and is like 4-8 lines, and then a chorus that is simply yet catchy or something. That's easy to put some music under and build up.

All that said, it's easier said than done. I suck at lyrics, and i still practice a lot. I'm way better at just writing the music

The other way around - writing a song and then putting on a lyric - is way harder, and often ends up with boring less melodic vocals. But some prefer that. I do that mostly.

5. Adam182

Jun 1, 2010

there isnt many ideas floating around for lyrics withough someone ripping lyrics off i love to write them i read lyrics to bads all the time i listen to music for maily the lyrics :D ill keep it all in the heart and what i stand for :D

6. AtomicKhaos

AtomicKhaos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 16, 2009

just latch on to somthing that pisses you off. doesnt matter if it rhymes, just make sure someone hasnt already taken the verses you have written as Anxiety said.

but as Iggy Pop said: Write It

7. vinniefono

vinniefono Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2009
     United States
    Just do what feels right and say what you really wanna say.With time you will figure out whats best for you.
    Best of all it will be you.I'd say the most important thing is,there is no right or wrong way to do it.

8. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

doesn't matter if your lyrics are cliché or anything becouse it's not you or your lyrics that are cliché it's the world and the problems in it it's allways the same fucking problems so don't worry about that too mutch

9. Veganarchy

Veganarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 10, 2009

I agree with evereything written it this topic so far.

just write whatever pops in to your head, let it spin around while you sing it out loud, and go back to change some words later on, if you feel that something needs to be changed. Real music comes from the heart, and noboby but you knows what your heart feels.

Most punk and hardcore has a pretty short lyrical structure, so if you can only come up with one line that fits into your song, well, then just repeat it :lmao:

You can also try to brainstorm over some themes that you feel strongly about, and then try to write a song about theese themes.

Like said before, it doesn't matter if the lyrics are cliché, because punk rock and DIY is about doing it for yourself and your crew, not for money and prestige.

Good luck with your band, mayn! :thumbsup:

10. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    write about your countrys affairs,social problems,internet always is helpful for data and info.i m from croatia and my country need some lyrics like Aus Rotten,Crass,conflict and i do my best to put it on paper things that destroy this society

11. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

Adam your 15 right? so just write about bullying in schools or something like that....

EDIT: Do you play any instruments? just curious

12. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Apart from that, if you wish to make the music more exciting, you can try listening to a lot of different punk bands, also from genres that derived from punk. I take a great deal of inspiration from Post-Punk and Deathrock music. Of course, it depends on the kind of stuff you want to do, but taking elements from other genres of punk can really make it more interesting at times if you want a more unique sound or just want to try some different stuff.

13. Wooly

Wooly Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 24, 2010

There will always be something to write about, my biggest problem was that i would write a page of lyrics, then i would read it back and think "This sounds like the kind of song a whiny teenager would write", and then throw it out.

14. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Wooly:
    Lyrics alone often sound terrible without the music and the general impression you get from a good charismatic singer.

15. Adam182

Jun 1, 2010

ya im 15...theres not much bulling anymore beacuase every teenager thinks they are the shit so nobody ever takes shit from other people so yeah lol i guess i coulod write that shit down..
    no i dont play any instruments but i do know how to play a trombone so if i wanted a ska sound that would help lolz. i am a singer i smoke so my voice isnt as good as it could be but i say hey its a punk band my voice doesnt need to be perfect :D

16. AnarchoSyndacalist

AnarchoSyndacalist New Member New Member

Mar 29, 2010

sounds like me when i was 15 :D

my band had the same problem, so we ended up having like 3 songs where there were no set lyrics and our vocalist just ranted. it was pretty sick. so improv is a good way to start, but it only works smoothley if your lead 6string is as good as ours was.

oh yeah and if the "182" in your name has anything to do with blink 182, i will personally come to your house and kick your poser ass

17. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Wow, your 15 and u smoke? wtf is wrong with you? quit that shit, stop supporting the most capotalistic evil corporation, and destroying your body before you are fully debveloped, we need anarchists to live long healthy lives :ecouteurs:

18. Adam182

Jun 1, 2010

nah i used 182 in names before i knew about that shit band i used to listen to them but i found bands that make them totall and utter shit

19. Adam182

Jun 1, 2010

no i dont smoke ciggerets

20. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

lol ironic because Blink182 got famous because of a song called "Adam's Song"