Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Open moderation system : UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ungovernable, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Ok so a few months ago i proposed an open moderation system on Anarcho-Punk.net. This proposition was accepted by the community after a vote.

see here:
    viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3932

There was a problem with the system and it didn't work... until today... i *THINK* i have fixed the problem

So starting from today, all members who have 150 posts or more should automatically get access to the private moderation forum. This forum is used by moderators to make vote about the general management of the forum. Starting from now, all important issues should be debated only in this forum. This will avoid nasty debates that fill up the whole forum like it happenned with NGNM85 or Sludgefuck. It will also avoid abuse of the system (right now a user can register multiple account and vote many times on the same poll, the new system will prevent this form of abuse).

The "popular assembly" forum can be still used for minor issues of lesser importance.

The 150 posts requirement will ensure that no member can abuse the voting system, and i think it is normal that you must be involved in the website before taking part in the collective decisions. It will avoid that a member that just registered start voting to ban people when he have absolutly no idea of the story behind this ban. Anyway, it works the same in a shop, you must have worked some months before you take part in the syndicate.

The 150 posts requirement can be revoted at any time if you feel like it should be changed, but i know by experience that this is the best number. it will also help to let us time to get rid of the trolls before they can get 150 posts and access to the management section. We run two other anarchist forums that works exactly the same way (resistance.tk and pirate-punk.net), it has solved a lot of problem and avoided polemic debates to polluate the whole forum. But maybe we can lower the number to 125 since anarcho-punk.net doesn't have a lot of "big-posters"

- Next, we will have to make a vote to decide how long a vote to ban someone should last. Something between 3 to 5 days would be ideal. Must be not too short (to let the time to everyone to vote) and not too long (to avoid that the whole forum is saturated by fightings)
    - We also need to determine the minimum amount of votes needed for a ban. It wouldn't be fair to ban someone if only 2-3 people participated to the vote.
    - And more importantly, we need to determine how to take a decision (majority ? 60% of the votes ? etc..) This has already been debated here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1745

To avoid future confusions, we should also define what is a troll. A troll is automatically banned by the moderators without vote. But the term "troll" isn't precise, it can be a lot of things. Maybe we should define a rule like "over X posts, a member can't be considered as a troll and can't be banned without a vote"

2. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    If you have 150 posts and can't see the forum, post here or send me a PM, i need to know if there is a problem with the promotions

Also, the promotions aren't automatic, i need to enable it manually, so the promotions will be done ONCE PER MONTH, usually in the beginning of the month. So if you just got your 150th post, wait a little before reporting an error.

3. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I defined a quick set of rules to have somewhere to start. Here's what i posted in the mod forum:

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I just finished a script that will display the last topics and new replys from the mod forum to those who have access to it. It will ensure to have high participation to the issues.

I will also rename the forum something like "Collective management forum"

5. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Everything is looking good :)

6. DisorderlyCitizen

DisorderlyCitizen Active Member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2011

very good idea, and i think the 150 post minimum to post in the mod forum is totally fine, if you set it too low then users will start spamming the forum just to get into the mod section.

7. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    yep good point, that's why i will also try to set another requirement where you must have been registered for at least 3 months AND have 150 posts to get access to the mod forum

8. Random Person From There

Random Person From There Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 27, 2010

Finally, thank you, this should settle such things as a ban. But I do have a couple of questions, if for example the people decide that X should be banned, will X know beforehand that he may be banned? He may not be able to access the mod section. Secondly, will he be able to appeal and defend his position if he does not have over 150 posts?

9. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

I assume that people will only vote in favour of a ban where they think fair warning has been given. Unless it's the normal caveat of near-autoban for trolls that are capitalist and fascist in nature.

Whether they have 150 posts or not, will they be able to defend their position? I think this is an interesting question.

Generally, all sounds good and fair.

10. DisorderlyCitizen

DisorderlyCitizen Active Member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2011

i think if a member is about to be banned, he could be given temporary access to the voting thread only so he can defend himself? if he starts fights or just talks bullshit the mods can remove his temporary access

11. Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather

Vegan_Who_Wears_Leather Active Member Forum Member

Jun 16, 2010

Just a thought. Maybe a certain number of people who have access to the private moderation forum, say at least 3, should vouch for people who meet the requirements. What do you think?

12. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Not really, nothing is planned in this system for that, you must have at least 150 posts to access the private section... But like Caps said, we always give warning before starting a ban vote...

But someone can just contact them through PM and ask them to defend their position. It will also avoid that the topic turn into a fight between the people targeted by the band and the ones that want to see him banned.... See what happenned with Sludgefuck... He registered again, he defended his position with his first post, but all of his other posts were just attacks against other members and bullshit.

13. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

maybe we could have a multiple warning rule? after a set number of warnings then a vote to ban the person will take place....

14. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    No it always depends on the circumstances... Some things doesn't deserve a warning at all... For example if someone start promoting things that are against our charter... Some offenses deserve 1 warning, others deserve 2, etc...

Anyway, there's always a vote to ban people, so if the community think the user only deserve a warning they will vote against the ban....

15. KAAOS-82

KAAOS-82 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jul 13, 2010

I think the 150 posts method is good. separates the trolls from the genuine contributors. Cheers for sorting this out Ungov

16. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

obviously there is exceptions to rulez...
    We're all responsible enough to (generally) take care of these things appropriately....

what is a troll? what is genuine? what the fuck is existential nihilism? :p
    Are we not all discursive biopowers transgressing and regressing on the subjective terrain of the phallic Other?

PS Bring Rowland to the park friday or else.

17. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

well then i think we got this....good stuff ungov

18. PHOBIA

PHOBIA Member Forum Member

Jun 10, 2011

:D Great job ungov.

19. ViciousCesar!

ViciousCesar! Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 27, 2011

i guess i better pick up the pace, so i can be part of the 'in-group'. lol