Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

-ONE REPORTERS OPINION-

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by deancatlett, Feb 8, 2011.

1. deancatlett

deancatlett Member Forum Member

Jan 25, 2011

"the scene"... I hate that term. That shit is for dopey kids playing dress-up.
    That sort of thing is the reason punk rock is not taken seriously.

-MY OPINION-
    Punk is dead, but it's spirit lives on. It has evolved into something greater than it ever could have been before.

Punk rock in it's former state has been overrun with corporate vermin and mindless conformity.
    It is a farce that should be abandoned for the sake of a greater truth.
    This farce cannot and will not change the world. It never has and never will.
    Talk of unity and understanding is a cop-out for lazy and addicted youth. Youth who grow into lazy and dysfunctional adults.

The old ghosts still haunt some of us though. They have told me these things and I consider them facts.
    Let's just call THE WHOLE THING something else and move on.

Well, let the crucifixion begin. I'm open to rebuttal.

2. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

totally agree with you man you should seriously read that out loud and record it would make awesome song intro's :p

:ecouteurs: :beer:
    nutz!

3. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

My opinion: Punk isn't dead, it only smells (more or less) funny sometimes, I agree that much of the stuff many people regard as Punk in the last three decades has gone or goes sour because of the business - but there is the far greater part that never saw business and never will - and the scenes aren't the same everywhere too.
    many kids will achive something great for themselves and their mates - and you or me will never hear of it.
    I doubt that "Punk" was ever meant to change the world - it isn't the music but the people who will do that - Punks a fine tool of expression and communication, use it or not - it's up to you.
    I started very long ago as a kid, still feel good with what I am - despite this and that - one is never too old to change - but I just don't have a fucking reason - I feel alright... (The Damned)

4. deancatlett

Jan 25, 2011

First off, thank you for your replies...
    persona-non-grata, perhaps we can collaborate on a trans-atlantic musical project somehow, kind of a cool idea I think.

vAsSiLy77, thank you for your rebuttal, it's refreshing for me to talk about these things.
    I think we are both on the same page, more or less. Of course, I could never give up on punk. Not entirely anyhow. It's been a good 15 year run for me, and I can't think of a single greater influence on the various aspects of my life. It is out of my love of the whole experience I've had (for good or ill) that I wrote that blurb, and how it is genuinely painful to see something with such pure liberating creative potential be exploited (ha), commodified, packaged and sold by corporate whores. It has made me bitter and angry. Maybe I'm just getting a little older now.
    It's kind of like someone stole your car, crashed it into your living room, and blamed the whole thing on you.

5. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

I think it's just another perspective - my five cents of punk - so no rebuttal, just another side of punk.
    Saw some great liberating creative potential this evening: bunch of 15 year olds fooling around with the equipment in our basement - and for two hours I forgot the wreck in the living room - shit that they won't start a band...

6. deancatlett

Jan 25, 2011

HAHAHA!!
    I see what you mean. It's easy to get discouraged sometimes, but you are right. Somebody once said (I think) "so long there's youth and energy, rock n roll will be just fine".
    I'm sitting in a tiny apartment in the middle of Texas, talking to people on the other side of the world about punk rock. Perspectives change, energy doesn't.

7. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Once more it had that typical punk prelude today again, the kids use to hang out in the local park, but it's still cold around here, so they took residence in the tube station, sticking together, drinking a bit, talking - untill the cops...
    It's really a problem this winter, they keep the place clean, no trouble with the other people using the tube, just the fucking prohibitive signs everywhere, no loitering, no drinking, no smoking - one wall of our toilet is graced with the stuff we collected in the past, there are always enough of those signs...
    I don't know the kids that well, we see and nod at each other sometimes, I was on the way home from work and passing by when the situation became hot - well known shit we all... so it was:
    come on, no last stand here but a drink at my place... and off we took.
    I had to store some stuff in the basement and asked them to help me carry it down the stairs, they did, saw the equipment and asked if we still use it - we do and so the session started with everybody avaliable, my mates joined in, the kids called their guitar hero on the phone, we had some talk about bands they like, stuff they think about this and that - ok. they don't know what we know, but they'll learn their own thing - or not, but today it was fun and kinda proof again - it's not only the lack of reasons for not being a punk anymore - there's a biiiiiig reason to be what I am - and it's not because those signs only... :ecouteurs:

8. deancatlett

Jan 25, 2011

I remember the cool older people when I was a kid, the ones that bought us alcohol (drinking age is 21 here) and let us hang around. There weren't that many of them but they're like legends to us now. And now the next crop of kids are asking me to get them their booze. They'll remember us the same way we remember the ones that came before us. In that aspect, we will never die.

Your English is much better than my German! Shitty schools in Texas. I'm lucky I can tie my shoes.

You play in a band? What's the name?
    CHEERS :beer:

9. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

When Punk came up around here in bavaria we had only the media for the style and stuff, but we shared the same places with homeless people, except for very few youth centers and bars there was nowhere else to go.
    The homeless were our actual first generation - showing us how to deal with alcohol, keeping the place clean, sometimes teaching less social skills like shop lifting too - but the most important thing:
    Stick together, look after each other and be fair with the girl/guy beside you - great people - and lots of kids got the message.
    Yes, as long as we keep it that way, we'll never die, no matter what any other asshole ripps off for money.

Thanks for the English - I spend some time in Bonnie England and elsewhere after messing up things here, hope your schools aren't fucked up like the fatherland around here is...

We should have a band, lots of talented people, and one or the other writing the odd song lyrics - but I guess we didn't have the serious drive by now, so we have those sessions in the basement, maybe we play at some coming neighborhood festivals in spring and summer - not really Punk, but lots of Ska and ethnical music out of respect for the mixed audience - the actual favorite is a Skapunk version of "La Adelita"...

10. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

I would say at least 5 Anarcho-points lost for using the wrong expression - shoplifting is risky, but not "less social".

Apart from that:
    Nice statement and far more accurate than the last "scene"-documentation about the early Punks around here, it's definitely not "those were the days" and everything after that was shit - i'ts still the same story even if the scenery has changed and the back drops look different than then. :ecouteurs: