Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Obama administration moves forward with unique internet ID for all Americans, Commerce Department to head system up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Random Person From There, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Random Person From There

Random Person From There Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 27, 2010

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162- ... 01465.html

First it's internet censorship, now this. How lovely.

2. Bones Booking

Bones Booking Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 16, 2010

Great. :ecouteurs:

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Welcome to 1984...

4. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Don't despair my brethren for where there is advancement in security for big brother, there is an army of people with the will and knowledge to circumvent and sabotage such measures.... and in cyberspace these measures are virtually limitless (pun intended)

5. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

since november we have the credit card sized new ID in germany, with an integrated chip that allows internet business if a pin number is used. on demand the new card can be fitted with a signature-certificate too, making it possible to "sign" electronically and legally binding if you have business with authorities or conclusion of important contracts.
    unlike the old id-card for 8 euros, the new one will cost 28,80 euros - and everybody in germany is obligated to have an ID on her/himself all the time, holders of the old ID must take the new one when the period to extend the validity of the card runs out. it doesn't matter which version of the new card we choose, the price is 28,80 euros, with or without the signature certificate.
    the promised increase of security for internet buisness is already proved false, simple key loggers or trojans tracking the keyboard input make the misuse of card details and PIN number possible - so nothing new here.
    for big brothers the new card is a gift, and the discussion about secure/insecure internet shopping covered almost perfectly the main purpose of the launch of a chip-based identification - electronic tracking of the card holder, fast and almost effordless with a simple cardreader. civil war refugees or asylants in germany are oblieged via a special residence obligation to remain in a limited area - too bad if they leave it's limits and buy something outside it - red light on the card reader, the violation will be recorded, stored and - transmitted? authorities are oblieged to transmit violations of the law to the security and legal agencies, too bad that no one knows if there are any limitations in the developing network. nobody can be sure about what data is processed, stored and transmitted - the description of the technical details of the data retention some time ago were of a very similiar vagueness. once this controll system is installed, it's easily extended and refined.
    monday next week we get this fucking thing for our three young girls - and i'm still pissed that we can't get around this mess and almost had to pay a fee for keeping them "stateless" for almost two years.

6. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Yeah welcome to 1984....

I hope proxies can still bypass this crap....

But technology is complicated, i wonder what will happen if i just hack my neighboor wifi connexion (very easy) and then go online with his ID ?

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    theoretically you could get him in a shitload of trouble.....

8. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

It has already been tried with the new stuff inlcuding the electronic "signing" and was horribly successful - because it's a "trusted" identification the criminals who did it were able to do serious "transactions".
    But the more important dangers are the more effective opportunities for electronic tracking of individuals - the easier and more effordless the technology gets, the more people will be watched at the same time.
    I still wonder why the british abandoned their own plans, even the conservatives saw "eroding civil rights" - but I think they will follow sooner or later too.

9. Altruikus

Altruikus Member Forum Member

Oct 5, 2010

I have often pondered the future of anarchism as governments utilize technology to oppress the people... I really think cyberpunk has a future as reality.

10. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

I grew up with cyberpunk, the whole program from GregBearLuciusShepherdNormanSpinradWilliamGibsonBruce Sterling to Front Line AssemblyRevolting CocksSigue Sigue SputnikFear FactoryAngelspit and steampunkbiopunkCybercultureCyber subcultureCypherpunkSimulated realityTranshumanism - and after all those years I would say: catchy entertainment first, but soon limited down to a mere insider circle paralyzed by endless self-references, then pure fashion only.
    It was never meant to be realistic, it's postmodernist prose of nihilistic hopelessness is almost defaetist and agonising in the long run, at least with all those lone heroes fighting injustice into all eternity - for me by no means a future perspective I want to live in.

Nice piece to read, it's an almost 20 years old review from "wired", far from dealing with politix but with some insight on the genre and it's inner workings:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04 ... nk_pr.html

11. Altruikus

Altruikus Member Forum Member

Oct 5, 2010

Yeah I get what you are saying. Fuck the pop-culture that it evolved into; I was more using the term 'cyberpunk' to represent the dystopia that the oppression of the people via technology would bring about, and the underground resistance to the oppression by the people through such mediums as cyber resistance (ex. DDoS attacks) and here bypassing the internet ID aagenda altogether via proxies, etc.

12. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

yep, thats the realistic way, mass action via DDoS attacks and the development of a counter-culture in the web - funny thing coming in from some rss-feed:
    rapid increase of "underage"-accounts on internet sex sites via abuse of parental ID's in germany - not quite what we are talking about - but I guess alot about the "security" of "trustable" chips. Oh dear!

13. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

There is a german report about a series of security tests made by the chaos computer club and swiss officials - switzerland launched the crappy card already as "SuisseID" in may 2010 - proving practically the step backwards in matters of consumer security compared to the "old" ID. With simple maleware avaliable everywhere in the web the ID-check as well as the electronic signature were easily faked, leaving the official experts quite speechless.
    http://www.ccc.de/de/updates/2010/siche ... id-und-epa

Good news for the future german card holders: It will be without legal consequences to "deactivate" the chip - because the ID-document keeps it's validity even without a working chip! :ecouteurs:
    http://www.wdr.de/tv/markt/sendungsbeit ... eis_pr.jsp