Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Not a punk (:

Discussion in 'New members introductions' started by cupcaked, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cupcaked

cupcaked Member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

hi ^-^ i'm not a punk, and actually, you know, i have a few questions for all of you little leather bound spikey folkx. A good amount of my friends listen to and have you're fashion. I just wanted to know cos i always associate the punk fashion with a//politicals "rebels in sheeps clothing", I'm just curious why all punks look the same and why whenever you go to a show and are not abiding to that standard you're some kind of leper. I listen to a diverse amount of music and I guess i never understood why punks all do that. Or at least the ones I've met.

Anyway though! I'm from Chicago and Love Emma Goldman, disorder is my favorite of UK82 and ummm. I hate obama :)

<3

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    You think all punks looks the same? You haven't seen skinheads yet!

3. cupcaked

Oct 26, 2009

O shit, that screwdriver song is the only thing that comes to mind when a Skinhead is mentioned. Although, this one time at sum lil show there was a few of them running around singing it, it was ultra cute. Idk much about them, i wish i knew more about them cos most of them are super sexy, and i'd like to know if they really truly don't like other you know, races. Suspenders are a thing i admire in a dude... :)

4. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Most skins I know are far removed from any connection with any kind of fascism, racism or most other -isms actually.
    To see the other end of the spectrum, there's some interviews on YouTube with SHARP, whose chairman at the time was a Jew.
    Welcome, though

5. GFSM

GFSM Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 25, 2009

punks don't all look the same at all. there are scenes, with uniforms (they'd hate to admit it but it's true), and then there are many various and wonderful interpretations of what a punk is, and that's why i am part of the culture. i sometimes call myself a punk, sometimes not, i don't particularly care what people think about a culture they don't understand.

speaking of which, the first skinheads were black. they were rasta kids who rebelled against that religions orthodoxic tendencies (not all involved did this) to not allow people to cut their hair. thus they were being rude. "rude boys". much of this found it's way into england, and heavily influenced the two-tone musical movement, amongst others.

6. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

Yeah,I hit up a monthly club in the city Called "take it or leave it" which is Punk,Ska & 2-Tone and we have quite a variety of people show up,Street Punks thru to skins,rudes,Psychos,even the occasion tourist wanders in. May not all hold the same beliefs we all seem to enjoy the same music and never have any real problems there. And although we are all from different "sub-cultures",we seem to all stand under the same umbrella.

7. cupcaked

Oct 26, 2009

well, see, it's a good thing i decided i need that Annie Anxiety record because now i can learn all this shit.
    By the way, I wasn't trying to sound judgemental or anything, I apologize if i did...but thanks for letting me know :)
    There are too many good albums on this site, it is a beautiful thing :D

8. B@UGHIE

B@UGHIE Member Forum Member

Oct 11, 2009

nice response mate

when you get to a certain age you become a skinhead (oh the joys of life)

9. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Heh... I skipped skinhead... lol
    Got my mohawk a little over 1.5 years ago and that's when the interest in punk really kicked off... lol, I's a n00b :p

10. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

not all punx look the same , especially in differant areas ,

11. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    not really sure I'm a "punk" as the term is actually pretty archaic. if u saw me on the street you wouldn't know that i was into bands like peni, conflict, etc, in fact you'd probably make weird assumptions about me, as is human nature. As right as it is for punks to stand out and rebel, i have a respect for those who blend in. Those are probably the ones who are a bigger threat, because if no one suspects you, you can cause more damage. Also as I have aged, i have felt less importance on how one looks, and more on how one conducts themselves. There are always excepts however.

Just my 2 cents.

-the anxietist

12. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

I was never into "standard" pink fashion that much. It looks great on some people but silly on others, and some overdue it. Over the years I have kind of developed a bit of an exhibitionist trait, sometimes I like to dress just silly and out of the place and show up in a lab coat or combine a lot of colorful clothing to form some combos that are a bit on the unusual side.

It's better to go your own style than race-driver look. Although overdoing stuff is fun sometimes...

13. GFSM

GFSM Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 25, 2009

hahahaha. it appears we are very similar Bananaman. i love wearing "homey hardcore" shit at crust shows, or crusting up at tough guy gigs. or generally dressing like a homeboy. or in drag. life's a party. live it.

i particularly like that you wrote"pink".

14. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Ive never dyed my hair, no piercings, and only one tattoo that i gave myself. I've always just dressed the way i wanted with tight pants and one very un-studded jacket. The fashion is one of the things that originally turned me to punk, but some of my friends really try too hard and it kinda opened my eyes in the sense that i realized fashion isn't what makes anyone "punk". As for behavior its really just who you are, at least where i am. some kids like to be crazy n stupid, others dont. whatever is more fun for the individual. but you know thats just my view on the matter :ecouteurs:

15. Extinction

Extinction Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 1, 2009

It really all depends on what you like to look like. That's my favorite thing about punk you can dress however you want and (other than a few close minded idiots) will not get looked down on.

That being said, when I first got into punk about five years ago, I was a total fashion punk, didn't really know a lot about the music, just liked the style of the clothing. Then I talked to an elder crusty at a show and I didn't know anything about what he was saying. I said to myslef "You need to know this shit is you are going to be what you want to be." So I ditched the getup and started over. I began researching shit and started making my own shit, DIY, I made a vest and pants, patches, flyers the whole nine yards.

Now I know how closeminded I was back then. i would ahve never listened to crust or ska or industrial or noise, now I do, all because I talked to that one dude.

So sorry about being a motor mouth, but that's my story. You jut evolve into what you think is best and hold your ideals high! :rock:

16. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

i really like this topic.

17. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

being "punk" isnt about what you wear at all, to me anyways. The attitude of punk, you know.. rebellion, fighting racism... equal rights, shit like that, you can look however you want and believe all the same. Plus my sense of style comes out of a lack of money, strong spirit of D.I.Y. and artistic perception, not what others are wearing, or what "they" think is "cool".

To be honest, most skinheads around me are racist, pure unadultered racists. Or the ones that call themselves "SHARPS" are nothing more than backstabbers and douchebags themselves. But i have nothing really good to say about my area, thats why anyone here who considers themselves to be a "punk" leave this area as soon as possible.

18. Steve Contempt

Steve Contempt Member New Member

Oct 27, 2009

Interesting post, I wonder if all punks do look the same? Like all office workers, all chavs, all bikers etc. Let's face it though, there's a finite amount of "looks" you can go for, and whatever you choose, you're gonna look the same as someone else, so who cares? I dress like a punk but still look like a hippy thanks to me dreads! I dress like a punk because I do, no other reason I guess, not to "fit in" or "look cool", it's just cheap, old combats, swap band t shirts with other bands we play with etc. I realise I project an image by doing that, but at least it's the correct one. Everybody makes judgments when they meet someone, and the first thing they have to go on is how they look, and by looking like a punk, I find you can avoid talking to a lot of twats :) I've got lots of non punk friends, and listen to all sorts of music other than the accepted punk and ska, punk's just my first love, but I listen to pretty much anything other than pop and country and western. I'm an individual and proud of it, I just tend to have a lot of sympathy for the punk scene, lots of punk friends, anarchic philosophies, and like fast loud aggressive music that says stuff I can believe in, the rest is just a natural progression. Hope that makes sense, it's still a bit early in the day for me :D

19. Link K2B

Link K2B Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 27, 2009

I used to go totally in for the Punk as Fuck look, spiked hair, band shirt, leather jacket, patched and bleached jeans, boots, bum patch etc. But these days I mix it up quite a bit. Sometimes I wear this shit, like one or two things along with just regular jeans or a footie shirt or trainers or sumat. Just whatever's lyin on the floor init.

For me, standin out to make a statement is fun now and then but personally speakin, I'd rather my personality stood out more than my mode of dress. The man makes the clothes yknow.

20. thoreau_me_a_bone

thoreau_me_a_bone Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 29, 2009

I smell a troll....

Either way, punk fashion is pretty stupid for the most part. I went through my punk thing as a teenager, but decided wearing all black, nice clothes was actually a bigger rebellion. I like to fly under the radar you could say.

BUT, punks do look very different from scene to scene. For example Christian death are deathpunk, minor threat is hardcore punk, aus rotten is crust punk, cocksparrer are skinhead/oi, rites of spring is emo, the exploited are street punk/oi (later stuff was more metal), DRI is crossover/thrash...They all look very different from eachother. But as far as kids in highschool go, they usually follow eachother. It takes punk kids until theyre 20 or 21 to really find their own thang.