Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

My teachers = DUMBASSES!

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by trevor9849, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hailey Edge

Hailey Edge Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 7, 2011

Everyone is saying drop out of high school and it's making me a little bit upset because nobody knows what is best for poor Trevor here!! I myself had a great time in high school but it is all what you make out of it. In my 4 years there I managed to secretly start a few anarchist driven moments within the school, mind you they weren't blatantly labeled as such, but the opportunity being there helps people find a way into not only an anarchist specific view but a completely different wold view than that of the average high school attendee. Examples of things you could start in high school, Amnesty International, Food Not Bombs, Discussion groups regarding just about anything... You get my point. You can complain all day along about what a 'Dumbass' your teacher is, or you could simply take the time to sit down and help them learn about grassroots moments within a community. Complaining and dropping out gets the education system as a whole nowhere, but changing something from within it does.

Also, if you or anyone else reading this would like to talk about setting something up within your high school to become involved with please do get a hold of me. I don't have much knowledge about issues in places other than Canada but we can definitely go through something together and think of something crafty and revolutionary. : )

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

TBF, a number of folks seem to be offering poor trev alternatives to high school and college. Considering school can be shit, and often is; and, to my understanding, tertiary education costs a small fortune in the US then perhaps highlighting the fact that you can finish school and get a degree (this GED thing and community colleges, or whatever they're called) may actually provide people with more options than they were aware they had.

Personally, i had no problems at school, it was only studying Marx, et al., and other cool stuffz at uni that i hated and had to quit.

Now, referring to a rather old post:
    Paulo Friere's 'Pedagogy of the Oppressed' ;)

3. ChaosUK

ChaosUK Active Member Forum Member

Apr 9, 2011

Take AP Classes, you won't get fucking idiots for teachers
    NORMALLY the AP teachers aren't dumb as fucking shit and will question you with actual substance rather than shit they pulled out of the Tea Party Coloring Book.

4. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Fuck me! That may be a bit of a tough read. I read it a couple of years back when training to be a teacher and found it hard work, even though it is brief. One of the first anarchist texts I read was Kropotkin's 'An Appeal to the Young': http://flag.blackened.net/daver/anarchi ... /atty.html . Read that.

Also, in terms of education 'Teaching as a Subversive Activity' is worth a go.

5. danny_a

danny_a Member Forum Member

Mar 31, 2011

Although I have done most of my learning in libraries, skipping 90% of my university lectures to study on my own. I have definitely experienced some forward thinking professors. A political science professor I had would speak with anti-capitalist motives. He also played videos on third world oppression caused by capitalism and also about government censorship and control of the media in america. I also have had several professors that had very positive environmental messages underlying many of their lectures . One anthropology professor I had gave us an hour long lecture at the end of his course about how we the students are the future and how we must insist regime change if we are to live free and equal.

Not to defend the educational institutions, I have contempt for many aspects of our world's learning institutions However, progressive, open-minded people are slowly making their way into the education system, and it's great!

The more of us on the inside, the easier it is to bring about change.

6. Bentheanarchist

Bentheanarchist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

I got a 47 on a paper about Martin Luthers King Jr' s speech for putting anarchy is order, and peace; another day, I almost got arrested by the school pigs.

7. zee

zee New Member New Member

Aug 1, 2011
     Portugal
    Actually, it's all a question of how the student faces school, college, and all of the learning process.
    I mean... Since I live in Portugal, which is an undenyable catholic country (though the state and church are separate powers), most my teachers were old fanatic roman catholics twats until two years ago, and they would regularly force their political and religious beliefs on us youngsters. (Luckily today I study arts in a school of Fine Arts, so most my teachers graduated shortly after the fall of the Salazarist fascist period, and are libertarians, or left-winged, at the very least)
    You can either see school and all the educational system as a monstruous robot building factory, OR you can see it as a montruous robot bulding factory and take the best of it and silently sneak out the back door. You can take what you learn, and study it more deeply, and remove all the ideological trash your teachers forced you to swallow.
    And you can rant "omg wtf my teachers are asses" or "the education is broken and subdued to the powers of capitalism", OR you can join the Students' Association (or whatever the hell it's called, I literally translated it from the portuguese expression, tho I believe it is Students' Council) and make some change. I certainly made some.

You see, with the global economic and polithical chrisis, the Government surrended all of the public schools' facilites to a corporation called "Parque Escolar". This mega-corporation gets an ABSURD amount of money every month (and I mean like SERIOUSLY ABSURD) to maintain the schools. But what really happens is that the power of maintain the school's facilities has been taken from the hands of the Head Council, and thus, pieces of ceiling fall on students, lamps stop working and no-one can change them, and there are no consummables. All that because no-one can interfere with the school's fisical structure BUT Parque Escolar.
    These fuckers wanted to install CCTV cameras on our school, as a "test-pilot" for other schools, as our isn't slightly problematic.
    And the Student's Council took a stand, made a protest. And the CCTV cameras were not installed.

This is how it is done, my dear friends.

8. anthropophagus

anthropophagus Member Forum Member

Jul 31, 2011

I got lucky in high school, they were starting a completely new curriculum and we were encouraged to give a lot of input, but I was the only person who seemed to. Initially I was just sick of hearing 'anarchy is fighting and stupidity" and I ended up bringing a bit of material for the department heads. They actually did take the time to talk to me and let me work with them so it wasn't so biased.
    I know it sounds unlikely but I've spoken with my instructors since I graduated and they gave me some examples of how they're correcting the bias in the material. The province I live in is very conservative and they had to change the name of the textbook so it wouldn't offend non-liberals, but at least I know that one school, in one town was willing to hear out the students.

9. The Hat

The Hat Experienced Member Experienced member

May 29, 2019
    Illinois, United States  United States
    Ask your teacher if they ever heard of Mikhail Bakunin, Peter Kropotkin, or even good old lovable, huggable Emma Goldman. Read their works, debate the living hell out of your teacher, prove to them that you DIDN'T get your politics from a CRASS record, or C.D. and expose who the REAL ignoramus is!

Anarchists are terrorists? Maybe a few preferred armed resistance, and throwing a molotov cocktail or two, and those are usually put in the spotlight as the worst examples of an "Anarchist" or the practice of "Anarchy", but, from what I've been seeing lately, 99.9% of terrorists usually hold on to some form of religious faith that is out of step with the modern world, and would propose more of a theocracy than individual freedom and a life free of outside coercion. (But I could be wrong about such things)

I'm not familiar with anybody declaring war in the name of "Anarchy" but history bares out the fact that almost ALL wars were declared in the name of "God".