Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

my school is nuts

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by bennion, Nov 30, 2010.

1. bennion

bennion Active Member Forum Member

Mar 2, 2010

so my school in utah has blocked on google search anarchy or just about any anarchist realted topic and they are doing it saying that anarchy is terroism if you want a picture of the screen that comes up i will post it but i was wondering if you could call the school to ask them to unblock it or email them at least because its really really annoying and its blocking freedom of infomation
    Woods Cross High School Phone (801) 402-4500
    600 West 2200 South Fax: 402-4501
    Woods Cross, UT 84087 Attendance: 402-4506

or you can call here

Administration Building
    45 E State Street
    PO Box 588
    Farmington Ut 84025-0588

801-402-5261
    801-525-7000 (if calling from Ogden area)
    if you could it would be really helpful i already have a couple of people calling from californa
    thanks a ton :a:

2. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

Are you the only one in your school who feels strongly about this? If not, sounds like a good recipe to organize around.

3. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

Get yourself a copy of Alexander Berkman's The ABC of Anarchism, there is a fantastic couple of chapters in there that explains the reasons why Anarchism is not terrorism.

4. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    you should print out a bunch of leaflets or fliers with a definition of anarchy and hand them out to everyone in your school.

5. bennion

bennion Active Member Forum Member

Mar 2, 2010

oh i have already gotten in trouble for passing things out like i was passing out anti recurting flyers i even gave a couple to the recuirters themselves and the pirncipal got hold of a few and told me to stop

6. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

Here's a small portion of a great pamphlet called Anarchism: What it is & What it isn't
    heres the link-- http://www.seesharppress.com/anarchismwhatis.html

Anarchism is not terrorism--
    An overwhelming majority of anarchists have always rejected terrorism, because they've been intelligent enough to realize that means determine ends, that terrorism is inherently vanguardist, and that even when "successful" it almost always leads to bad results. The anonymous authors of You Can't Blow Up a Social Relationship: The Anarchist Case Against Terrorism put it like this:

You can't blow up a social relationship. The total collapse of this society would provide no guarantee about what replaced it. Unless a majority of people had the ideas and organization sufficient for the creation of an alternative society, we would see the old world reassert itself because it is what people would be used to, what they believed in, what existed unchallenged in their own personalities.

Proponents of terrorism and guerrillaism are to be opposed because their actions are vanguardist and authoritarian, because their ideas, to the extent that they are substantial, are wrong or unrelated to the results of their actions (especially when they call themselves libertarians or anarchists), because their killing cannot be justified, and finally because their actions produce either repression with nothing in return, or an authoritarian regime.

Decades of government and corporate slander cannot alter this reality: the overwhelming majority of anarchists reject terrorism for both practical and ethical reasons. In the late 1990s, Time magazine called Ted Kaczynski "the king of the anarchists"; but that doesn't make it so. Time's words are just another typical, perhaps deliberately dishonest, attempt to tar all anarchists with the terrorist brush.

This is not to say that armed resistance is never appropriate. Clearly there are situations in which one has little choice, as when facing a dictatorship that suppresses civil liberties and prevents one from acting openly, which has happened repeatedly in many countries. Even then, armed resistance should be undertaken reluctantly and as a last resort, because violence is inherently undesirable due to the suffering it causes; because it provides repressive regimes excuses for further repression; because it provides them with the opportunity to commit atrocities against civilians and to blame those atrocities on their "terrorist" opponents; and because, as history has shown, the chances of success are very low.

Even though armed resistance may sometimes be called for in repressive situations, it's a far different matter to succumb to the romance of the gun and to engage in urban guerrilla warfare in relatively open societies in which civil liberties are largely intact and in which one does not have mass popular support at the start of one's violent campaign. Violence in such situations does little but drive the public into the "protective" arms of the government; narrow political dialogue (tending to polarize the populace into pro- and anti-guerrilla factions); turn politics into a spectator sport for the vast majority of people3; provide the government with the excuse to suppress civil liberties; and induce the onset of repressive regimes "better" able to handle the "terrorist" problem than their more tolerant predecessors. It's also worth mentioning that the chances of success of such violent, vanguardist campaigns are microscopic. They are simply arrogant, ill-thought-out roads to disaster.

7. AtomicKhaos

AtomicKhaos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 16, 2009

If that's not proof that they try to stuff you into the box the "Man" wants you to be in, I don't know what is...