Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

MurdochSpace.

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Boomstick, Dec 26, 2009.

1. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

yeah but most damn web pages contain ads

2. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

this is so true {pleure}

but lets say for a minute that you had a choice. let's say that there was a site that was owned by a 25 billion dollar company...this same sites owner is a staunch supporter
    and financial contributor of the Republican Party...an owner with an EXTREMELY right wing agenda. let's pretend you have the choice of using this site (and therefor enabling this huge company to generate even more money for it's right wing causes) and the choice to NOT use this right wing, multibillion dollar company owned site (and therefore removing some of it's ability to generate more funds)...what would you choose to do?

also lets pretend for a minute that this SAME company works very closely with law enforcement, censors users' content, and 'keeps an eye' on any participants that have any sort of 'radical' viewpoints... would you still choose to use them?

is there a difference between an internet page that uses ad space to generate funds and one that is like the web site described above?

you DO have a choice. fuck myspace.

3. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

Ok people you spoke your minds about this, so now, how the hell do we explain to non-anarchist people that we support/use a free product that's owned by a major capitalist corporation? Doesn't that make us look like hypocrites?. How do we justify this? (we don't have to but surely we'll shitloads of credibility for it).

Honestly if someone asks me that question right now I wouldn't know what to answer...

4. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    OK Hex I read the web-zine and I Wholeheartedly agree with eveything it states, so what is my choice, where do I find anything similar? I just posted a twenty year old Demo that can be listened to without downloading and I would love to be able to share it on another site besides AP.net what do you suggest as a replacement site?

5. Hex

Sep 22, 2009

try a web search...fuck do i have to do everything?! start a blog, start you own site. .i don't USE any of these things cause i don't feel that they are necessary for existence, or resistance, or punk rock. is your only in need somewhere to post your music?
    here i did a search for your lazy asses.
    http://throughtheconcreterecords.com/aboutus
    someone has taken the DIY ethic and started something...it took me like 4 seconds to find this...it is small, but there must be others.

6. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Fuck no you don't have to do a motherfuckin' thing, and no my only need isn't to post my music, I stay in contact with friends around the world through this Fucked up Corporate whore site, Italy, Colombia. Brazil, Finland, Russia, Mexico, Ireland, before these putrid Fucks bought the site it was a very good thing and a shitload of my International Anarquista friends were on while I rotted away in Prison, and I happened to reconnect with them just recently. Myspace wasn't even on my radar so please don't take that condescending bullshit tone with me Hex, I simply asked because I thought you already had a good replacement in mind, and for the most part I respect your views, but as far as that site with three bands on it promoting and selling their 3 releases that you just recomended being a viable replacement...it isnt. But rest assured I'll take my "Lazy ass" around the net to look for a better site. Con su permiso su majestad ......

7. disfuck

Sep 11, 2009

you make some good points

8. disfuck

Sep 11, 2009

also there is a smaller myspace type deal called punkrockers.com burnt cross and other anarcho bands are on it , but im not srue if its 100% ad free and what not , it could be an alternative

9. Hex

Sep 22, 2009

i reacted in the way that i did because i read your original request for 'alternatives' as bating, you know the old 'if you offer no solutions/alternatives your assertions are invalid' posts that we have all come to love here on the interwebs. if that was not the case, then please forgive my tone.
    also, i didn't say it was a viable replacement, i included it because it seemed as though you could post music there (a DIY site which would grow if people used it) as per your original qualifier.

10. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Right on brother no love lost, and thank you for trying

11. Hex

Sep 22, 2009

12. Al-Sain

Al-Sain Member Forum Member

Dec 11, 2009
     United Kingdom
    It's a definite grey area.
    The traffic that DIY bands get wouldn't really be enough to justify huge amounts of advertising input. This advertising is there because of commercial music and will remain in place whether 'anarcho' bands use it or not, because of the huge attention that 'big bands' get.
    Small bands leaping on and utilising the tools to spread some sort of message does not contribute directly to Murdoch's revenue. The fact that they are there won't increase advertising and the fact that they aren't won't decrease it.
    At least if there are bands spreading counter-culture on it then there is some attempt at creating a counterpoise to all the other shite that goes on there. If just one person comes across viewpoints they had never considered before and it changes their life, politicising them, then surely it's worthwhile?

Dropping out of society has never changed it permanently and never will. If some people want to just play to the same converts in their own little ghetto then it's up to them- we're all responsible for our own political decisions. To me it smacks of being nothing more than sub-culture rock stars, though some people seem to see 'dropping out' as making them better than everyone else- maybe you get more 'anarcho-points' for it or something.
    Trying to force others to adopt your point of view with rallying calls to boycott active people on your own side is stupid, elitist and short-sighted, IMO. If we did this all the time then the powers that be could just leave us to destroy ourselves with stupid schisms, 'harder-core-than-thou' attitudes and politico-point scoring.

Anyhoo- use Punk Rockers.com if it bothers you, the more people who use it the more chance that the whole myspace debate will become null and void. Unless it turns out to be owned by some corporate cunts!

13. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

only retards post things that will get them in trouble on those websites

14. Hex

Sep 22, 2009

if only it was that simple. :/
    unfortunately, in these times, you don't even HAVE to post about illegal things to get 'watched' on these sites.
    your associations (friends), your viewpoints, SPEECH that has a radical flavor or divergence from the status quo ...can qualify you for special attention as far as they are concerned. try to remember that the extreme right are the ones who gave you such wonderful things as the 'Patriot Act'.

15. Hex

Sep 22, 2009

This is not exactly the case Al-Sain. here are a few snippets for a write up that addresses your statements:

"Again, to simply reiterate, by patronizing MySpace you are essentially propping up and giving your support to the Conservative Republican right wing.

Doesn’t sound very radical, does it? As extreme as that statement seems, there is no way around that fact.

Undoubtedly you’ve noticed that MySpace is a service that anyone can use free of charge. Well, no business is going to offer a service that it does not get paid for. As this is true, the way MySpace (The News Corporation, Rupert Murdoch, the Conservative Republican right) makes money from the website is through advertising. Advertising rates on MySpace are based on the amount of page hits, or the amount of people that it receives. The more page hits that MySpace takes, the higher the advertising rates are boosted, the more money The News Corporation makes. The more people click on MySpace.com, the more large amounts money will be funneled into the pockets of those we oppose and tirelessly work to remove from power."

"When making this argument in the past I have been told that it is better for people like us to work together toward our common cause than to nitpick and judge each other’s actions. I would agree with that statement applied to most other instances, but I do not believe in the least that that can be justified in this case.

As it is horrifyingly easy to see, The News Corporation has an intense strangle hold on the world and it’s free flow of information. With an influence as massive as News Corp.’s no one should be turning a cheek. Does it mean nothing when one single person controls nearly 50% of all television that is watched in the United States? Or what about when one single person has influence over more than half the entire planet?

This is NOT an issue that can be taken lightly, and, frankly, I am utterly and completely revolted by the increasing number of radical, and progressive individuals making use of The News Corporation’s facilities.

The good that may come from our common message reaching an extra few thousand people through MySpace is in no way at all a match against the fierce power and magnitude of The News Corporation. The politics of the plane on which News Corp. functions is something most of us can not even begin to comprehend. The power dynamics and influence within their system is not something most of us will ever understand.

Change in this case will never come from within. If we are determined to win this battle, and positively affect the rest of the world we must strike hard and precisely from the outside.

We’ve got work to do and it all begins right now with you."

the bold highlight is my own, for i feel it is the core of the argument here.

the full write up (which includes staggering facts about Murdoch and News Corp.) can be viewed in it's entirety here:
    http://throughtheconcreterecords.com/why-should-i-delete-my-myspace

16. punkerfucker

punkerfucker Active Member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2009

also there is a smaller myspace type deal called punkrockers.com burnt cross and other anarcho bands are on it , but im not srue if its 100% ad free and what not , it could be an alternative

i hv an acc there but not so many people or bands around...

but..lets give a try

17. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

This seems a bit... well, unlikely. But i can't help myself! From another space, a non-punk band... But it does belong in this topic, belive it or not! Check it out!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1UeT7PDDH0

18. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

The only way they profit from us is if we click on an ad... so just don't click on ads while you are on myspace, and inform others as well. The other way thy profit is by selling ads... so don't buy an ad on myspace for your band/product. I use myspace as a networking tool. I only use facebook as a way to connect with people I lost contact with in the past. Do that and only that just don't click on the ads. It is much easier for a band to get out to more people and a global audience through myspace, so I say use it.

19. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

Don't quote me on this cause I'm kinda out of it right now, but I'm pretty sure they have to pay just to get their ad onto myspace, and myspace gets more everytime they click...kinda like a bonus or something.

Can somebody smart put my thoughts into an actual mesage?

20. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Its retarded to think that if you dont use websites like facebook, myspace, yahoo, google, or even ap.net, your not going to be caught by law enforcement if they want you. If they want you, theyll get you, every single one of you. To think that your low-key in todays environment is just naive. Theyll trample over and break every law to get to you if they think your a "terrorist".

Have a social secruity? Theyll find you. Have an IP address? They'll find you... purchased something in the last week online? They'll find you. Hell, i can probably find out where some of you come from through simple websites on the internet.

P.S. There are bands that, if it werent for visiting their myspace, i probably wouldnt know who they are today. Dont act like you guys dont either because that is BULLSHIT. Another thing.... i hate assholes who complain about myspace being all corporate like (like buying computers and t-shirts and anything else is not) and say they dont like it but then encourage others to go visit their bands myspace page and check out their music! They do exist.