Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Most cliche bands?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by anthonyjosafiend, Jan 16, 2010.

1. anthonyjosafiend

anthonyjosafiend Member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Now, we all know that some of us love Discharge and some of us don't really think they're all that great, (I always liked them), but just out of currosity, what do you guys consider to be the most cliche bands out there? Past and present?

2. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Sex Pistols 100%

3. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Total Chaos, blech... so cheesy

4. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Guttermouth :p

5. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Cliche as fuck, SLAYER.

6. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

punk rock and other 'heavy' genres in the last 10 years, trying so hard or not at all they're worse than pol pot.

we need to lock them in a room listening to all kinds of differant music which they would consider 'gay' and then hand them a guitar and say get to work.

7. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Fail, again. The Sex Pistols were dramatically different from everything that existed at the time, therefore they cannot be cliche. Elements of their music and style could said to be cliche today, but only because of the thousands of bands that copied it from them.

8. SurgeryXdisaster

Oct 8, 2009

uhmm... there were hundreds of other punk bands that existed when and before the sex pistols did, they were not "dramatically different than everything else at the time"

I think they were still very cliche, because they were probably what everyone thought of when they heard the word "punk" back then... cartoon-like snobs.

I mean with all the media coverage that they got in the UK back then...

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    The Misfits! :ecouteurs:

10. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

ya only have to read the bibliogarphy of e'nglands dreaming', pretty comprehensive, worth a read too but read others as well

11. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Do you believe everything you read in books? I've been asking around to some of my friends that were around in '76 and they don't agree either (I thought it was just me that thinks this argument is full of shit) but suit yourself it's your reality

12. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

How about The Casualties?

13. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

Okay, I feel I must comment on this now... I agree that the Sex Pistols are a cliche band, they are what mainstream pictures punk to be. But, to look at it in perspective. When they came out there really wasn't anything quite like them before. A lot of better and more real punk bands came about within months of them but they really shook things up. Also consider the time period, the music business belonged to mega-rock stars, disco, and prog-rock... but the Sex Pistols came out playing simple music that everyone could enjoy, they challenged the Government openly and bluntly unlike very many bands before them. They also came about during a really bad economic recession in England at the time, and their music spoke to the kids who had nothing... kids could understand the feelings of "No Future".

An interview I did with Dick Lucas asking him his feelings about them said pretty much that they totally changed music at the time. Crass in interviews said that they heard "Anarchy In The UK" and the energy of the Pistols and strove to make real anarchy a reality. The Damned (the first UK punk band to release an album, first UK punk band to tour the States, and the first UK punk band to sign to a record label) were inspired to start after seeing the Pistols play their first show. Even their fashion (since they were the original fashion punks) kind of defined how many punks to follow would dress, and inspired a lot of the art-punk bands.

Sex Pistols a cliche... yes, but one must not disqualify their importance in the history of punk... were they the first punk band? No of course not... but they did however define what most future punks would look like and sound like. Love or hate them, they were an important band in founding what punk as we know it today is.

No in my opinion if we talk about cliche I would say everything on Punk Core Records it is just cookie cutter punk... it is a bunch of people trying to be the next Exploited (which are kind of cliches themselves).

Before you American loving punks attack me for this... Yes the Ramones were also important, but they in their own words were just trying to play bubble gum rock... but couldn't figure it out and by accident created pop-punk...but their impact on society, and their impact of punk was different, even though they and the New York Dolls are what inspired the creation of the Pistols...

14. SurgeryXdisaster

Oct 8, 2009

they may have been important, but were they also not the first punk rock stars?
    Richard Hell, kentucky born, inspired the pistols fashion: torn clothes, safety pins, etc.
    All the pistols did was let a money hungry douche (Mclaren) make their choices for them
    which led them to fame, and eventually sids death. They really started boy bands
    great punk rock didn't start til sid died

15. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    How dare you SX? How dare you challenge the golden calf? :ecouteurs:

16. SurgeryXdisaster

Oct 8, 2009

hahaha how did you get that little ass whipper?

I'm just saying, punk would have been just fine without the suck pistols

17. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    My point exactly, they were important, but they weren't crucial, and I honestly think we'd have been better off without them. And as far as California they were a very, very minimal influence. But enough of that band, at the bottom of the smilies there is a link to view more smilies....

18. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

I'm not saying they were the first or the best... but their timing was just right to make a huge impact. I am sure if you talk to any british punk that remembered before and after the Pistols they would agree. The pistols didn't mean shit to us americans, because things were different here at the time. Yes they were the first punk boy band... but it still doesn't mean that they didn't have an undeniable impact. And as far as McClearen goes he is a business genius (doesn't make him a good person), but he is definitely a business genius and was able to successfully capitalize on punk rock.

Sex Pistols were just in the right place at the right time, and because of it they will always be great in their own way.

19. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Metallica-ca :lmao:

20. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

so your saying those who find them important are pointless, yep lets rewrite history, cool, now did the american read the anarchist book or buy another hotdog, lets just target the chinese too.

your being a dick.