Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Leafleting

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by dwtcos, Mar 9, 2010.

1. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Alrighty
    I'll admit I'm not much of an activist (I haven't been an anarchist for long, but thats no excuse!)
    I'm mostly interested right now in leafleting since it's not quite as radical as some other forms of activism and because of that my parents are totally cool with the idea of it (I guess I'm not a punk since I like my parents enough to care about what they think of me :p) and because of the lack of any anarchist organizations (excluding the Denver anarchist black cross, who I've never worked with but will someday, and the Aurora Food Not Bombs chapter I plan on starting with the help of a few guys I barely know) I see it as a pretty easy thing to do alone or with a friend. SO my questions for you guys are: Where do you get your leaflets? Wher do you distribute them? How do you distribute them? What are some good topics for leafleting on (some obvious ones come to mind but events that people might not be informed of seem to work wonders on peoples opinions)? Thanks guys :D

2. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Well, not to sound too pesimistic but leafleting alone is more or less pointless. I've handed out my share of leaflets and looking back there were much better things I could have done. Leaflets are only useful as a part of some bigger action.

The real key to successful activizm is building a strong community. Try to find likeminded people and start your own food not bombs or something. It won't be easy, but if you put in an effort it will be much more rewarding than handing out leaflets.

Just to add, I\ve newer heard of people sending out leaflets. All the leaflets I ever handed out were DIY stuff. Sure there are some designs that are copied and some that are translated into various languages, but isn't the whole point of anarchism to make your own?

3. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I understand that I could make my own (in fact I very much enjoy the idea of that) but people could doubt the legitimacy of the statements I make in it if its not attached to some form of orginazation (which I guess would be an inherent problem in any form of activism). And forming a community sounds dandy on paper but in actuality where I live (Aurora, a suburb of Denver) is a city infested with apathy. The lower middle class-lower class denziens of my city are a thing of true sadness. Its a rarity to even see a smile on the faces of anyone walking on the street and more likely to see some form of hatred resonating from them. The truth is that people in my community are far to caught up in just trying to put food on the table to participate in any form of activism. But as an adolescent I'm supported by my parents and thats what gives me the time to do things like leafleting or starting a food not bombs chapter. I would love to go out in a large group of people and leaflet or be part of some other form of activism. But as far as I know there is only one other person in this damned city interested in radical politics, and he's my best friend >.<

4. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

good on ya dwtcos, grow some food and hand it out in ya hood as well(not for always but empower people) maybe, specially if peepz r struggling and hand out pamphlets if they want one, explaining how to grow, all that jazz, ask some of your peepz for info help, keep it simple and keep it luvin for the peepz

food makes peepz happy, hand out basic recipes and how to grow, seeds, pot plant plans and digging gardens, support, guerilla gardening

diy electricity etc etc, keep the cost down, don't be dreamy but keep it happy and realistic

5. statuliber

statuliber Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 13, 2009

I don't think leafleting is such a bad idea, go for it! But when you leaflet inform yourself more about the topic so u can give the people answers if they ask u.
    Knowledge and truth is our migthiest weapon...

6. Lunadimae

Lunadimae Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 1, 2010

You should go for it, but try adding some points that are affecting your community, not just information surrounding anarchy. Hell, it could be a simple text on an A4 paper if you want, you could then just stand at a cross-section and hand the out with an address or two to some websites.

7. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Personally, what I find very effective at least, is telling stories about certain things. This doesn't come off as giving people a lecture, which is WHY it makes them think.
    Try not to come off as too lecturing or all-knowing is my advice, other than that... list your sources, including more 'mainstream' ones as people usually seem to exclude 'conspiracy'-sources as a legitimate one.

8. miserablist

miserablist Experienced Member Experienced member

Feb 11, 2010