Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Labeling yourself

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by ihaateusernames, May 30, 2012.

1. ihaateusernames

ihaateusernames Member Forum Member

Jan 6, 2012

Over the years I have talked to many different people interested in the punk scene. Some hate labeling themselves do some highly approve of it and some really dont care what is everybody's view on it i would be interested?

2. anarchoskin69

anarchoskin69 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 14, 2010

I'm part of a subculture, and subscribe myself to anarchism, but i dont label myself. I think there's a difference.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 13, 2011
     Canada
    Labeling can serve a purpose, but often I find it unnecessary. But it really depends on the person and the intention.

Personally, I pretty much don't label myself anything at all. I don't explicitly call myself an anarchist, straight edge or even things like heterosexual. Putting labels on yourself (or especially accepting the ones imposed on us from society) only limits ourselves. In the case of sexuality, even though the majority of people are heterosexual, it's still a very limiting term. Human sexuality and gender is far more complicated then being heterosexual or homosexual or male or female, there are so many in-betweens. People should essentially do whatever feels right for them and nurture and support others to do the same also. Generally speaking, I just find it much better to be pragmatic. I'm just another unique person, as we all are.

I have no problem at all with people who want to label themselves though, as long as it's authentic (unlike newby punk kids who listen to Rise Against and start calling themselves anarchists or something, in which case the meaning and authenticity of anarchism just loses credibility and then looks stupid when the rest of the mainstream world see these stupid portrayals of a label/lifestyle/philosophy).

That all being said, there are times when labeling one's self or self-identifying are very important. Generally, this is best for people in marginalized communities, such as Indigenous people or people in the GLBTQ community. The reasons I personally don't self-identify and assert with my race, gender and sexuality is because I happen to be a privileged person in society (white, male, heterosexual). If indigenous people want to self-identify with their ethnicity and indigenous nationality, then that's great, especially when it comes to the issue of self-determination for their community. Similarly, if people in the GLBTQ community want to refer to themselves as Queer or anything else, that's also great. But even then, these individuals and communities don't have to self-identify in such a manner, it's up to the individuals!

4. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Labels, boxes, genres. Is all crap I think. Worst thing that ever happened to punk was when people started dividing it up and putting labels on it.

5. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Actually, no. Second worst. Worst thing is Greenday.

6. CrustAndSkin

CrustAndSkin Member Forum Member

May 30, 2012

It's bullshit. I have a lot of friends that label themselves as "punks" and everything they do like drinking,wearing old dirty clothes,acting stupid is because they think thats punk and in the end they kinda hate people that are not exactly the same as them and thats what makes them almost fascist. Thats why I hate labeling. When someone asks me what I am,I either have a sarcastic answer or I just say human,I don't want to say skinhead or punk or crustie because all of the stereotypes.Of course,you should be proud of what you are but labeling is kinda stupid.

7. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

word
    I hate that snotty attitude.

8. ihaateusernames

ihaateusernames Member Forum Member

Jan 6, 2012

I have met a lot of those people who like to define punk at a certain standard if you arent what they find punk as they describe you as punk. So really i dont like to set myself as a specific type of thing

9. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    Labels give security to the insecure, they act as a crutch. Identities are not given, they are defined by who a person is, how they live, where they come from. You may pick and choose a label, you may change a label by changing your clothes (usually the two are hand in hand).

You can not change your identity thought you may deny it. Cultural identities for example, you may have sepwepmec or mexican or german or italian or irish, et al heritage; where as 'black, white, hispanic, asian' are labels that generalize significantly different cultural identities in to simplistic catagories. I am a celt and about 50% of the time I wear a kilt, partly due to respect for my heritage, partly cause they are SOOO fucking comfortable, I am also learning some gaelic and through the adoption of the culture of my ancestors and emercing myself in the history of my people's experience in North America specifically Canada; I slowly unlearn being 'white'. Without knowing me, you may consider me 'white' but that is a label that negates the experience, persecution and cultural loss of my peoples through out history. As it also does to other cultures under the 'white' unbrella. Not to mention those classified as asians, negates the cultural significance of their korean, chinese, mongolian, veitnamese, et al identity. etc etc.

Punk is a form of music. For some the personification of that music through dress is important BUT way back in the day PUNK was about smashing codes and resisting the established norm. To me one of the greatest expressions of punk spirit today would be to challenge and smash the established PUNK norm. Being 'Punk' is a label, as such it is fairly insignificant as a means to identify yourself. Being an anarchist or another philosophical or religious means living by a system of conduct (identity) or merely calling yourself something (label). You may 'label' yourself an anarchist or through your life identify yourself as an anarchist. For the most part, society will identify you as an anarchist if you dress like a punk and smash shit which is unfortunate.

But I may just be talking our my arse.

10. Misledpunk

Misledpunk Member Forum Member

May 19, 2012

Labels are for clothing- not for people. Can't remember who said so :/ Have to add though, labels are not only for people but neither for animals or any conscious beings.

11. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.
    Navratilova, Martina

For a tennis player she has some pretty cool quotes.