Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Jello Biafra bucks international BDS call, will play show in Tel Aviv

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by punkmar77, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Reading this I struggle to understand why he's changed his mind or really what he really thinks of the issue. He talks about honesty and the seems to intentionally obfuscate the issue by talking about other issues and attacking his accusers. Yes, it's a complicated issue but the boycott is a simple way to express dissatisfaction and create disassociation with the regime. I really enjoyed the new GSOM EP but I'm getting pretty pissed off with Jello's continuing arrogance.

2. sputnik ludnik

sputnik ludnik Member Forum Member

May 15, 2011

now i m sure liebermann and ultra-orthodox zionists are really sad, the show is cancelled (irony off) - who really thought, jello biafra would have legitimized the israeli occupation?

yes, by visiting tel aviv you "normalize" and "acknowlegde" the existence of tel aviv - but who would not? it's there to stay, get used to it, and a lot of underground bands tour it. (the dicsussion if "western" punk bands playing in places like indonesia is just another form of adventure-tourism is another debate).

a boycott against israeli apartheid is rather effective if done by nation economies, not as a "private market decision". (there should be one, including settlement produce and fruits containing water taken from the west bank)

a cultural boycott of pop-icons might be of some effect - but hey, where was the uproar when Gogol Bordello played Tel Aviv three nights in a row in front of x000s? i have never heard them condemning israeli war/occupation politics.

the fact that jello biafra still raises controversy proves, he still is punk. (anyway, you can't go to palestine while boycotting israel)

and i think, a (free) jello biafra show each in israel and the west bank would have been the best, and achievable. palestinians are not from the medieval, anyone can understand irony/humor/punk rock.

3. Caps

Nov 3, 2010

Resurrect. Jello has written about his travels to Israel and Palestine. I haven't read the essay yet, just the first few paragraphs (it's a long bugger!). Already, some less than choice phrasing and resentment coming through eg:
    But I'd like to think his intentions are sincere.

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/pag ... llo_israel

Give it a read, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. I'll let you know mine when I'm done.

4. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Good read and plenty of startling revelations of the situation, at least he finally came to his senses that he was wrong in his initial stubbornness. On a personal note I finally came up with a killer middle eastern tinged riff for a d-beat song while reading the article...inspiration indeed.

5. cheyannepiacenza

cheyannepiacenza Experienced Member Experienced member

Jan 1, 2011

yea yea we can revoke his punk membership card
    :ecouteurs:

6. Caps

Nov 3, 2010

Was definitely a good read. I wish he had conceded a bit more rather than continuing to slag off those that had questioned his actions (though I readily concede that some people do cause greater problems with over-emotive 'OMG! YOU FUCKING ZIONIST BASTARD!' styled 'reasoning'). Considering that, by the end of the trip, he agreed that he would only do a show in direct support and solidarity for Palestinian rights and this WAS NOT what he was going to do, he should have admitted that he'd not reviewed the situation well-enough. Still, it's Jello and there is no denying he has an ego. I'd hope this would help raise a greater awareness of the situation.

Besides that, Mar, I heard some of the new track that Diatribe had put up. However, I'd issues with my internet and didn't get past the atmospheric intro. The minute or so I heard definitely got me interested and the production was sounding nice. I look forward to future efforts \m/ .

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Hey thanks Caps I was kinda bummed out I didn't think anyone bothered...

8. fubarista

fubarista Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 13, 2011

Long, but I got through it. Not sure why, just curiosity, I guess. What did I learn? That you can make waffles with Jello.