Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Jamie Reid 'God save the Queen'

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Vicky, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Vicky

VickyNew Member New Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Female
    England, United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, I'm currently doing a study into the artwork of Punk artists. Jamie Reid's work has become a very significant artist in my investigation. I visited the Strongroom where his work is up on display. I felt the Anarchic energy radiating from the walls. Obviously, the 'God save the Queen' piece is one of his most recognizable pieces and I was wondering the impact it still has on people identifying as Punk today. What do you think of it? What thoughts does it provoke?

Appreciate any replies
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. The Hat

The HatExperienced Member Experienced member

Back when the artwork first appeared on t-shirts, record sleeves, and adverts in the music papers when the single came out caused an uproar. I think people were even ARRESTED for wearing the shirt for a year or two, the reason being that the design/article of clothing was a "Breach of the peace" violation.

Nowadays, if I see somebody of my generation wear the shirt, I just think they were there back in the day, and when the new generation wears it, it just means they just discovered punk.