Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

International women's day

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Anom, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

March 8 is the international women's day, and this year it's 100 years ago it was first celebrated.
    Since then women has won many rights but we are still far from equal in society.
    The celebrating of IWD is not as simple as it might occur; to (as it is too often celebrated) congratulate women on the one day a year the opression of women is acknowledged, is beyond bizare. It can also give a sense of the rest of the year being international men's days. Exactly what we need...
    Easily forgotten is that the IWA is not only a day to acknowledge the opression of women but it is also a day for men to think about their roll in society. Equality between women and men are not only up to women to fight for, but also you men who are not believing patriarchal structures is a good thing.

Since this is a toipc that does not come up very frequently here, i think it is time for a discussion on the subject of what we are doing and what we can do to achive equality between women and men. Before jumping at me screaming i'm a crazy manhater, wich i am not, note the word EQUAL. The point is not to replace the patriarchy with matriarchy. I don't think we have patriarchal problems on here, even though a majority here seems to be male (where are the women?) but we have probably all been affected by it somewhere, somehow.