Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Illinois abolish death penalty

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by ungovernable, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Illinois Governor, Pat Quinn signed a law on Wednesday abolishing the death penalty in Illinois. Quinn talked about his struggle to decide whether to sign it or not.

It was a hard decision for him considering that there are people who agree abolishing the death penalty and people who are against. Both parts expressed strong opinions concerning this matter. When the law takes effect on July 1, Illinois will become the fourth state in the past two years to dispense with the death penalty after New York, New Jersey and New Mexico. Most nations, including virtually all of Europe, have abandoned the death penalty.

Among the 58 that still use it, according to Amnesty International, are the United States, China, Thailand, Egypt, Iran, Iraq and Japan.
    Until now in the history of justice, twenty people have been freed from death row after they proved to be innocent or had been convicted improperly.

“If the system can't be guaranteed 100 percent error-free, then we shouldn't have the system,” Quinn said. “It cannot stand.” He also believes that capital punishment was too abusive. He thinks for instance, that same crime in different countries can be judged in different ways. While one defendant can be punished to death, the other one can be life-time jailed, even if both did the same crime.

Another problem is that death sentences might be imposed on minorities and poor people more often than on wealthy, white defendants.
    Illinois State Senator William R. Haine, a Democrat and former prosecutor, said he was “disappointed” by Quinn's decision. To support his opinion he referred to mass murderers like John Wayne Gacy or Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh as deserving the death penalty. “We're removing from the people a remedy for great evil, whether it's an act of mass murder through terrorism or wanton cruelty, rape and murder of children, or butchery,” said Haine. “These crimes cry out for justice, and not vengeance. I'm talking about justice.” Robert Berlin, the state's attorney in DuPage County, west of Chicago, called it a “victory for murderers.” Also the relatives of crime victims disagree the governor decision. “The primitive emotion says an `eye for an eye,'”Mirabelli said. “But when you think about it, whether he dies or spends life in prison doesn't bring my cousin back.”

2. freemind

freemind New Member New Member

Mar 10, 2011

Justice in my opinion, for that kind of crimes is definetly dead penalty, there is no way a rapist or a killer can be part of ANY society.

If that person spend the rest of his life in prison he will have food and shelter because the same people that got harmed by his acts is the same people paying the taxes so he can spend his life in prison.

If he is dead, you can be 100% sure that chances on that person reoffending will always be zero, and nobody has to waste money and time caring about someone that will always be scum.

3. clawvsclaw

clawvsclaw Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 9, 2011

I'm so glad they are abolishing the death penalty. Hopefully other states will follow their lead. I can't believe Oregon is still participating in this.

4. Rich

Rich Member New Member

Mar 6, 2011

I don't have a problem with the death penalty its self, but the justice system that decides it. To many innocent people in jail period, not to just mention the innocennt men and women on death row. If guilt can not be assured, then no one has a right to claim you deserve to die.

5. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    There sure are a lot of new people around the forum lately that really don't have a clue what anarchism is all about. 100% against prisons, 100% against the laws that put people in prisons, 100% against the State, so by determined logic, 100% against the death penalty.

6. clawvsclaw

clawvsclaw Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 9, 2011

I've been confused by this too. I don't mind talking to people and telling people why I'm against the death penalty but I can't help but feel that they are on the wrong forum. I'm new to this message board so I don't have much of a clue as to what 'normal' is on this board.

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Well after you've been here a while longer you'll notice who has a clue and who needs to read a clue into their lives, then there are some who are beyond the capacity of ever having a clue. I try to be really patient with everyone but mostly the younger teens that might like the idea of 'Anarchy' but haven't really read much, or any, theory. Of course there are some very young people that really have their shit together and have made serious dents into the mountain of exceptional writing on Anarchism. In either case their are tons of links on this forum to point them in a healthy direction.

8. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

And then if he/she turns out to have been innocent all along (as has happened), but evidence doesn't come out until after the execution....then he/she is still 100% dead.

The core of the death penalty is that the state believes they own your life and can take it away as punishment. If you want to be someone's property, then fuck off with the other right-wing "scum" because you are the opposite of anarchist and don't belong here.

9. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Agreed. I can't believe that someone joins this forum to make their first post in favour of the death penalty. Not an inquiry, not a cautious 'in some circumstances' but clear advocation. Bizarre.

How many states still have capital punishment? Through its reputation, I imagine it will be a long, slow process of eliminating it in Texas.

10. hanarcho

hanarcho Active Member Forum Member

Sep 24, 2009

In Singapore drug traffickers are put on death row. If it's for murder, I understand what the families of murder victims feel...but drug offenders? Which is why I am against the Death Penalty. There's an ongoing "Abolish Mandatory Death Penalty" movement going on, however the government doesn't give a fuck. This guy named Alan Shadrake (a British guy) wrote a book about the death penalty in Singapore and was arrested soon after the book was released. Now he's in trial.

11. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

California still has it.