Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

How Do you find you Bands?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by Probe, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

Personally im not thekind of person who goes out to bars or wateva and find underground bands but i found mine through mass...mass...mass research on the internet. And i checked out bands that influenced other bands and bands that influenced those bands. How do you find yours?

2. codeygavein

codeygavein Member Forum Member

Feb 10, 2010

Pandora.com is a wonderful tool for finding bands similar to ones you like. The main downfall is a lot of the bands are generally well known and it focuses more on musical styling and overlooks important aspects (to me, and I'd imagine a lot of us) such as political standpoint and lyrical focus.
    I do attend a lot of shows and swap music collections with friends.
    Anytime I see anyone with a tee shirt of a band I like, I engage them in conversation and try to get some band names from them, and give them a looking into.
    Websites like this and rockbox are good for finding more obscure stuff, but sometimes you will have to randomly try stuff out to see if you like it.
    Zines are a wonderful tool, there are a lot available in print for a small fee (normally shipping), and a very large collection are now available for completely free via the Internet.

I feel that Internet research is the number one best way with probing like-minded people being the next.

I am very interested in hearing some other ways as well, though.

3. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

last.fm works pretty well too imo
    Also wikipedia has band-lists for most musical styles

4. we're_all_dead_anyway

we're_all_dead_anyway Active Member Forum Member

Oct 16, 2009

I hate to say it but myspace. I look at bands I already listen to and look at their favs and go from there. I also use last fm. Great way of finding bands with similar styles.

5. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

yeah me too , myspace is good for one thing :/

6. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

i only look up myspaz when i've found them in zines, radio shows, you don't go to shows, that is the scene, shakes head, yes i'm judging you

7. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

Yeah, why don't you go to shows? Everything else is just a copy, it can't compare, at all.

8. Scandinavian-Doorbreaker

Scandinavian-Doorbreaker Member New Member

Jan 29, 2010

Check the thank you lists on records you have bought in the past. There are usually many bands listed in there that either sound like the band you are into, or share the same mindset etc..

And yes, Myspace. Thats a good way to discover many bands in a short time, and preview songs/pics etc.

9. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

myspace and word of mouth
    GO TO SHOWS

10. jigsaw-youth

jigsaw-youth Member Forum Member

Jan 12, 2010

I got alot of music off some Livejournal communities. Just search for a particular genre of music, and theres generally a quite a few groups dedicated too it which means there will probably be groups for music swapping. People just post links to downloads on rapidshare or mediafire and if yr after something in particular you just put a post up and someone will generally link you to what you want.
    I got majority of my Riot Grrrl collection from a group called twee-grrrl-share and found so many new amazing bands that I wouldn't have found any other way. Theres a lot of crap stuff too, but its worth sifting through it all.

11. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

do share ;)

12. rg37

rg37 New Member New Member

Feb 9, 2010

Going to shows, from friends, internet, magazines, sometimes even stores.

13. rg37

rg37 New Member New Member

Feb 9, 2010

Going to shows, from friends, internet, magazines, sometimes even stores.

14. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

since I grew up in a small town in Iowa, and the internet only existed for those rich enough to afford a computer at the time, and no one around me even knew what a zine was. Well it was word of mouth really, or I would hear a band I liked find their album somehow, and then read the "thank you's" on the albums and find out what bands those bands were into, and it just grew from there. And later it was going to shows, and meeting new friends, and then computers got cheaper and myspace came about and things got much easier..... my main method thought was seeing what bands inspired bands that I liked, and what bands inspired those bands and so on so forth.

15. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
  16. SenI

SenI Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 4, 2009
     Russian Federation
    Most often, I find new bands or old bands, through myspase, zines and on punk-blogs in blogspot.com.

17. K-Townbootboy

K-Townbootboy Active Member Forum Member

Feb 24, 2010

Going to shows, talking with my friends, surfing the net and taking chances at distros or reasonly priced shops.

18. LucidStrike

LucidStrike Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 1, 2009

Shows and word of mouth account for some of it, but the vast majority of the 1100+ artists in my library were discovered through LastFM and blogs. .-.

Heads Up: BandCamp.com is already like the best online distributer I know of, and they just made it easier to discover new bands. Check 'em out. WAY better than MySpace and not associated with Rupert Murdoch.