Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

homelesness and helping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrNILEpat, Feb 14, 2013.

1. mrNILEpat

mrNILEpat Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 27, 2012

so im not exactly sure if i should be asking questions on the general discussion page but anyways... what do you think about helping the homeless? i think its really cool if you go out of your way to help the homeless help people in general, instead of just being selfish and living for yourself only. but ive come across arguments like "the communitys never done anything for me, why should i help it. and the homeless fucked up their own lives, its not my problem." this sounds very naive to me and i was wondering what your thoughts are about stuff like this. and how homeless people REALLY get homeless. cause im sure not all of them just fucked up their own lives on purpose.

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Mutual Aid is a core tenet of anarchism, it doesn't matter how they became homeless, it just matters that we're able to help in any way possible without any strings attached other than to ask them to possibly help others once their situation stabilizes, you will always have haters and detractors that have been infected with the virus of selfishness...fuck 'em.

3. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

People aren't usually homeless because they fucked up their lives on purpose. Sometimes you make a mistake and end up in a bad spot and sometimes you don't and life in a capitalist system just fucks you. Can happen to anyone. I don't know where you're referring to but in the US a lot are veterans who came back with PTSD and couldn't readjust. The US sends a lot of troops a lot of places but doesn't care about helping them emotionally readjust once they're back.
    Anyways yeah I try to help homeless folks when I can. I don't usually give them money but I've given them rides if I've had a vehicle or food, clothes in the winter. I've put them up a few times if I'm pretty sure they're not shady. Or just positive recognition I think makes a big difference in folk's morale because a lot of people look past them like they're not there. Just being nice to people never hurts, not to sound cheesy.

4. whizzkvydic

whizzkvydic Member New Member

Dec 8, 2012

I agree with this. And I would also like to point out that there are those who choose to live in on the outskirts and wouldn't change for the world. I'm suprised you've never met a punk squatter before... we're all over the country, hopping freights and traveling to wherever our whims and whiskey take us. After I got out of prison I decided to settle down and become more active in the community rather than live out of the dumpster. I still have plenty of good friends that do it,though, and it's definitely something you should look into. "Voluntary houselessness" as I've heard it called. I ended up on the streets as a result of fucked up circumstances, but it ended up being one of the most colorful and fruitful experiences of my life! So next time you see a "travelin' broke and hungry" sign kick 'em a doller or two, maybe buy them a tall boy.

5. aaronishappy

aaronishappy Member New Member

Feb 24, 2013

I do my best to help the homeless any chance I get. It doesn't matter if they're a junkie or a crusty or a scobey fellow, I've been homeless before and I know how much it fucking sucks. We're all humans in the end and we all have the same basic desires; shelter and food (and sex of course, but thats kinda hard when youre homeless!). Being handed even just a €1 coin means soooo much.

A lot of people are homeless for different reasons. I did it by choice for a while. To get away from everything, take a break from my life and just go traveling and hitch hiking and squatting around Europe. Since I was broke (funemployed, yay...) I didn't really have a choice but to go with no money rough it out on the streets. I've met other homeless people who were in the same position. Then there's some whose entire close family died. Then there's the alcoholics and drug addicts. Then there's the immigrants. Then there's the crusties and punks who don't want to live within the system. The reasons are endless and you can't judge someone's "homelessness", all you can do is help because at the end of the day they're on the streets without a bob and YOU are not!

6. mrNILEpat

mrNILEpat Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 27, 2012

Thats really cool :D
    and ya i liked what you said at the end "all you can do is help because at the end of the day they're on the streets without a job and YOU are not!" and i like the idea of mutual aid as well. and helping whoever, whatever their situation is, even if it isn't exactly beneficial to you. i just don't understand why someone wouldn't want to help someone on the streets even if they could. i think its a matter of looking from their point of view. being in their shoes. but thanks for the input definitely :thumbsup: