Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Help Destroy God

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by SurgeryXdisaster, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Did i say we have religion trouble? Think not. To celebrate christmas for the sake of jultomten and donald duck and not thinking too much about jesus doesn't make a person atheist though. And we are still getting tought to celebrate christmas due to jesus. Sweden is a country with christianity as official religion.
    And i would say marriage and anarchism doesn't really work all that well together honestly, marriages being a patriarchal controllsystem invented by the church and the state.
    The swedish protestant church has lately lost a lot of members but it's still the biggest form of religion in sweden. At the same time the smaller christian groups, like the 7 day evangelists, are growing.
    If by atheist you mean someone who doesn't go to church on a regular basis and that are celebrating christmas 'cos of donald duck and easter 'cos of the candy, then yes, most swedes would be atheists. Now that however is not really what an atheist is.

2. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

religion takes advantage of the weak and beatan, weak.

3. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Actually, yes.
    The financial crisis have been treating religion very well. Especially the smaller sect-like churches.

4. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

fire temples and the repercussions are another reason and an example 'religion' should be disapated and kept to oneself as 'others' will use it, against all, we all say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

New postby Anxiety69 on 28 Feb 2010, 23:58
    sorry i've never seen anything electrical give off spiritual power... not yet at least :lmao:

I don't know Anxiety, I have seen some vibrators come pretty close to giving off a spiritual experience....

ASA: You say that religion takes advantage of the weak....etc... you are generalizing here, there are thousands of different religions out there so it is ignorant for you to apply a generalization like that. And why is it that you assume that because a person believes in "God" that it is the Christian God. Look how many gods there are in the Norse religion, the Celts, the Greek and Roman religions, the Chinese, Japanese, Egyptians, etc... so why is it that you assume that a belief in God would mean Christianity.

Anxiety: I understand what you are saying about your belief... have you ever considered looking into religions like that of the Druids, or various pagan religions, I think you might find other people with similar ideas. My self I don't follow any particular relgion, I believe in the energy in the Earth and the sun, and that is what gives life and all.. call it what you want... to me Gods are personifications of forces of nature, and help us to focus on the energies of nature.

And one last thing:
    ASA: what exactly do you have personal against Anxiety? Anxiety seems like a genuinely good person, and I just don't understand why you act the way that you do towards him. Is it that you read English as bad as you type it and have misunderstood something that he said... or is it just something personal?

6. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

anxiety has been a bad mod and 'orrible toward's me, wat do they have against me, who cares and its all over red rover geez louise, call the general toot toot, i hope they're not feeling too anxious, i woudn't want that all

religion is shit, belief is diff, did u get that

it is an idea that is taken and used by pyschotics(leaders) for centuries who use it to usurp all good and it is then hard to budge, facist ideals aren't nazi by nature, they can also b human but if u take an idea and make it fundamentalist then you have danger danger liar liar pants on fire!!!!!!!! wat use it is then, so keep it ta yaself and its delusional to me but how many people fight 'their institutions, yea right

7. DrunkSquid

DrunkSquid Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 11, 2009

I think that religion needs to be depoliticized, particularly in the middle east and United States.

8. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    That is a great idea, it should be all through the world. One of the biggest contradictions in the USA is how we supposedly allow every religion freedom here, yet all our historic doctrines and policies are steeped in religious (mostly christian) dogma. I mean fuck, the pledge a lesion has god in it, even the boy scout oath. I god we trust? what of my so called religious freedom makes me choose athiesm? or taoism? America is such a contradiction.

9. Axehandle Mountain

Axehandle Mountain Active Member Forum Member

Feb 26, 2010

The problem isn't religion, it's greed that wears the guise of religion. Please, do not blame all spiritual and religious people for what has been done using Abrahamic religion as a scapegoat. It's not the philosophies, it's those who manipulate it to control people that cause oppression and genocide, typically in pursuit of wealth or military prowess.

10. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

your wrong, if kept to oneself it is fine but it trys to convert everyone then tells everyone else what to do, then being used by nutters who have been included in the fold and ff 'relgious' people don't do enough to change it, then i no sympathy for all the organisations that ruin the world hiding behind the guise of 'truth and enlightenment'.

11. Axehandle Mountain

Feb 26, 2010

That's silly. Why should all religion or philosophy be kept to the individual? It's something that should be open and shared to those interested, not oppressed. There are problems with some organizations and people choosing poor methods to promote their views, but that is not a product of religion, but the people involved, and it's common even in anarchism.

12. persona-non-grata

persona-non-grata Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 9, 2010

you know what it is there is nothing wrong with religion itself it's just te people that interpetate it the wrong way and fuck it up (I don't believe in god but i don't want to judge people that do)

13. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I disagree completel This is essentially the common response one hears from religious moderates when confronted with the horrible crimes associated with religion; that the perpetrators are deeply misguided and in no way representative of Islam, Christianity, etc. This is nonsense. I assure you Christians who burned heretics at the stake and inflicted virtually every horrific form of violence imagineable and the modern day abortion clinic bombers have read the bible back to front and can quote chapter and verse. The Osama Bin Laden's of the world know their faiths very well, and are perfectly capable of squaring all sorts of atrocities with said faiths. In fact, that's where they got the idea. This behavior was not based on a misinterpretation, there are large passages of the core texts of the Abrahamic faiths that are very obvious open exhortations to commit atrocious violence. That religious violence is no longer the norm in western culture has nothing to do with religion, itself, it's the product of centuries of secular culture. I think this is one of the main reasons why religious violence is so much greater in the middle east. Anyhow, as I was saying, violence and bigotry are hard-wired into religion, there's no seperating the two. People's beliefs fundamentally guide their actions, if one literally believes that heresy can result in an eternity of torment, that's going to inform their actions. Also religion promotes violence by eliminating the possibility for conversation. If the two of us believe two different books are the absolute, infallible word of god, we can't work that out, there's no way these things can be simultaneously true. This is the paucity of so-called religious tolerance. Don't gert me wrong, I think we'd be better off with more religious moderates. However, moderates only provide a veil of protection, and a veneer of legitimacy to those insane fundamentalists who are no less than the enemies of civilization. Religion is a primitive, archaic device that has long outlived it's usefulness. If the human race is going to move forward we're going to have to confront and overcome this insanity.

14. Atomic Kiss

Atomic Kiss New Member New Member

Mar 12, 2010

Yes, and no. Religion is sometimes used as a cover when people go to war, it sounds better to the masses then flat out saying we're going to war for land and resources. Religion is a greater cause for the average person. However there are radical religious groups that fight in various forms to just for their outdated beliefs. Be it in forms of physical fighting or in the form of brainwashing children, people of any religious faith will do something to damage the world around them. Look at the religious right in america, between their rejection of science , to their anti-feminist message, to believing in fictional writings and taking them seriously, its all outdated and unnecessary. Their beliefs affect us all, they put a holt to scientific advancement, hurt the rights of women, and help to create a bullshit status quo. This is why the problem is religious people because they help theses beliefs to live on and on and on, be that belief christian, judaic, muslim , etc.

15. Axehandle Mountain

Feb 26, 2010

So, you're blaming all religion for problems that you associate with Abrahamic faiths? That's absurd. You think these problems would just disappear if we could just abolish all religion, that humanity wouldn't just find another excuse to behave as greedy, irrational warmongers? Sorry, I just don't buy that. We're a horribly animalistic species despite our intelligence and ingenuity, and our problems stem from these primitive tendencies. I do agree that those particular faiths are an outdated, violent plague, but the problems are not arising from the base teachings, but from misinterpreation and tampering that have been done for reasons other than enlightenment and spirituality. We certainly shouldn't be blaiming all religion for these faults.

16. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

It's there whether I associate it or not. These texts include very blatant and clear exhortations to violence. Religion is also by it's nature divisive, and generally destructive to rational thought.

Would all of our problems disappear? No. However, young middle eastern men wouldn't be blowing themselves up, abortion providers wouldn't be shot or bombed, at least a third of us students would actually learn about evolution instead of primitive dogma, and gays would have the same rights as anybody else, for starters. It wouldn't fix everything, but we'd be much better off without it. Ultimately, we're going to have to do away with it anyhow, if the human race is going to move forward.

I almost completely disagree with this. This is also fundamentally at odds with Anarchism. This is actually the primary argument for authoritarianism. I would take the Anarchist view, because I think it's true, that the real problem is monolithic power structures and the degrading effects they have on human beings.

All religion is bad, but some are worse than others.

Not everything comes from the book, for example, the greed and corruption in the catholic church. However the violence, bigotry, and authoritarian outlook stem directly from the books. I mean, what do the books say about homosexuality? What do they say about religious tolerance? People like to invoke the golden rule, which isn't so bad, but then Jesus also had his bad days where he said things like (I might be getting a word wrong here.) 'He that doesn't believe in me, bring him before me and slay him before me.' The violent fundamentalists are just taking these books literally at their word. This is why religion is so destructive. The worst of it comes right out of the books.

As un-pc as it is to say such a thing, some religions are worse than others. Tibetan Buddhism in practice tends to be a lot less destructive and violent. However, all religion is fundamentally irrational. It's destructive effect on people's reason is more than enough reason to do away with it.

17. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I finally found something we completely agree on....who'd'a thunk? :lmao:

18. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    umm most church burnings are racially motivated, a way for racists to try to break spirits of black people. and usually burning down a church has the opposite effect and makes peoples spirits stronger. so you can see the logic in that???

19. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

:lmao:

20. A Better World

A Better World Experienced Member Experienced member

Feb 28, 2010

it actually breaks my heart to see so many "anarchists" so closed minded. There is nothing wrong with the belief in god, it is a persons choice. Now we are talkinga bout how do we get people to think like we do when that is the exact reason we are anarchists because all our lives weve had someone elses ideas forced down our throat. God is not the problem and there are many many conceptions of god. Religion being used as a tool for social control is a problem. The church is a hierarchy and all hierarchies lead to corruption. The church may be the worst because it threatens eternal punishment. We need to put our ideas out there and open up a way for people to have the freedom to choose. Im not going to say educate because i don not believe in a set code of right and wrong and im not going to say my way is the right answer. I will stand up against the murder and rape happening everyday in the name of religion. Dont forget religous organizations do help people too, even ones that dont believe in god, and sometimes they even do it without trying to sell you there religion. For years i belonged to a christian skate club and we would skate for two hours in this barn turned mini skate park then have a small bible study that we were free to leave and hang out in the parking lot for. the majority of us had no religous beliefs but staed out of respect for the guy who ran it becaus ehe was a great guy. We also went to the cit yin the winter and gave blankets to the homeless, not bibles, blankets. There are good parts to religion and bad parts. Fight the bad without demonizing the whole thing. This isnt a war, thats there job were moving towards a world without war, where conflicts can be resolved. I was reading a bible the other day because i live in a shelter and it happened to be around and most of what i heard made me sick (old testament lots of sexism and just plain brutality) but there was one thing that stuck out to me that i really liked. Paraphrased it says this "When sowing your fields leave the corners and fallen wheat, this is for travelers and the hungry" Nothing is black and white, ever.