Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Hello people...

Discussion in 'New members introductions' started by Boomstick, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

My name is Boomstick, I'm from Chile, 24 years old and I don't really have knowledge about anarchism and much less punk, but lately I've been interested in both subjects and have plenty of questions about them. Right now I'm just a freelancer english-spanish translator who recently worked on a religious text (not gonna say which religion, it's irrelevant), and though I'm an atheist... Does this mean I'm sort of "tainted"? That I can never relate to anarchism due to working for people whose ideal are opposite to mine?.

Do I have to go dumpster-diving for the rest of my life to be an anarchist?

Well I hope these questions do not come off as insulting for you guys, I'm just trying to make sense of this ideology, but so far I have the feeling anarchist care about people, and that's good.

2. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

Welcome and glad to see a new person come to the scene and not think its all about chaos and shit
    you know im to lazy to type but welcome ill come back and explain what anarchy is in my eyes later

3. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Well, considering what people told me about local punk scene in Chile it can be rely harsh and violent, which I guess could be a put off. All of us need air, food and water to survive, and unless you grow your own that means you need money. Which means a job, unless it's something like being a police officer I don't really think it's important.

4. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

YES DAMNIT DONT YOU KNOW THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO BE AN ANARCHIST!! :@

haha, nah, you dont even have to do that, its just an activity that is used amongst anarchists. Its all good :thumbsup:

5. Wonder138

Wonder138 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

lol it all falls into squatting

6. bletheringvegan

bletheringvegan Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 3, 2009

Welcome! I don't think that studying religion/working with religious groups makes you less of an atheist or anarchist. If anything it gives you a chance to enter dialogue with those whose views you don't agree with, and if you are lucky, and play your cards right, they might see that they are living life with a blindfold and decide to join the anarchist movement! :thumbsup:

Also, you don't have to dumpster dive etc - there is no set "anarchist" ideology as far as I'm aware, there are as many anarchisms as anarchists probably. I think what we all share though is getting away from the capitalist system and into a more participatory/communal system.

Books I'd recommend if you want to explore anarchist theory further:

Errico Malatesta - Anarchy
    Murray Bookchin - social anarchism or lifestyle anarchism
    Anything by Peter Kropotkin.

There are lots more, but I think this is a good start. There are also websites with full pieces of literature online. One off the top of my head is http://www.libcom.org.

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Bienvenido, si tienes curiosidad es porque tu mente y tu espiritu te estan pidiendo que encuentres otra forma de vivir, El Anarquismo tieno mucho que ofrecerte, es una hermandad internacional que suele tener miles de versiones diferentes. Investigalo y si deveras quieres cambiar las cosas de este planeta....unete con nosotros!

8. Jeff Bones

Jeff Bones Member Forum Member

Dec 10, 2009

Hey, I Understand Why You Would Have Question's About Anarchy in general but everyone has there own views on anarchism and those views would be what u believe in yourself.

Let me try To Explain
    Almost all Anarchists seek the rejection of the state (State meaning any authority or government), but also other systems which they perceive as authoritarian, which includes capitalism, capitalist markets, and title-based property ownership, Not Everyone that is an anarchist believes in the rejection of these other systems, which is what makes everyones veiw differently.

I Personally Seek not only a rejection of state, but capitalism in general I dont believe goods should be privately controlled by anyone.
    I Love Anarchism but i personally dont believe the world is quite ready for it yet.
    Hope this explains a little bit if not everything XD

9. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Thanks people for the welcome! :beers: I'm glad to see everyone has their own take on anarchism, and that there isn't a "manual" to become instantly an anarchist, someone in another thread mentioned that things are always shades of grey instead of white and black and I couldn't agree more. Sure, eating at a corporate fast food chain isn't gonna take away your anarcho-rep, and besides why would it be bad to eat at a McDonald's if you're going back home to play on your Xbox 360?. The way I see it, you have to try and "compensate" for the shit you do meaning, if you eat capitalist shit, then go some other day and help and distressed dog or something; if you video games, then give books or toys to children, I don't know, something like that. Thing is, always to try and keep a balance into things. I haven't been the nicest person when it comes to social interaction or animal treatment, but you have no idea how much I regret and seek to redeem myself from those deeds.

@bletheringvegan: I don't think I'd have been able to discuss religion with him, might have costed me the job, :lmao:, but anyway I don't like pushing my beliefs in others. Thanks for the links!

@punkmar77: Jajaja gracias por la bienvenida, pero recuerda que hay que hablar en inglés o nos cuecen vivos a los dos. Y la verdad si, después de pasar por muchos lugares y ambientes en mi vida siento la necesidad de hacer algo más relevante para la gente.

@Bananaman: Yes, it can be a HUGE put off. In fact to me there ARE NO real punks in Chile, just a bunch of assholes who can't think of anything more intelligent to do than to trash stuff, getting drunk, high and beating people up, and they see in "punk" the perfect justification to do all that. I'm pretty sure most of them who listen to The Exploited don't even understand their lyrics (then again not even english-speaking people do so...) and probably can't spell their own names right.

10. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Not to be holier than thou, but that sounds like a good start, mate :)
    Welcome aboard.

11. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

You dont have to be the nicest person when it comes to social interaction, i know i havent!

..And, dumpster diving is done by everyone. Not just anarchists.

12. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Thanks!, I hope I can overcome some of the craving I've been having for a long time though, no idea as to why I want to eat at McDonald's so much :/.

Yeah that about being nice to other people I can live without, however I do feel really shitty for mistreating animals...