Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

fur

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by ungovernable, Jul 27, 2010.

1. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

I'm a motorcycle rider. I have both leather and kevlar gear.
    Leather boots - they are far, far harder wearing than the non-leather substitutes and they stay waterproof longer. I have used both types and leather are definitely superior in the footwear department.
    I have leather pants (I've had cow hide and kangaroo leather in the past - kangaroo is stronger and lighter, believe it of not). My current pants are cow hide. They offer significant impact protection (they have armour in hips and knees), much more than the kevlar jeans. The leather pants are not waterproof as they have fabric inserts behind knees and in crotch to allow skin to breath and prevent overheating. The kevlar pants offer little to no impact resistance but offer significant slide resistance (once you are off a bike and sliding on bitumen, that is - trust me I can speak from experience). However, the problem with kevlar is when sliding on the ground it heats up significantly. When I came off my bike I got a third degree burn on my knee, where I slid along the road. This is where my knee touched the kevlar and not the road. The jeans have the kevlar in hips, buttocks and knees and they are a lot less bulky and it's easy to get waterproof pants over the top if need be.
    I have both leather and kevlar jackets. The leather jacket zips into the leather pants to form a one piece suit. Both the leather and kevlar jackets have armour in elbows, shoulders and back.