Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Freedom of Information Initiative

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rathryn, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

I've been thinking of this for a couple years now and I wonder if people here would be interested in setting this up.
    Basic info is simple, though I haven't completely figured out the rest yet.
    As the name implies the Freedom of Information Initiative would be a resource group for people with a need for information. Much like wikipedia in a way, but in human form. A collective that offers information* for free, in the form of text books or written accounts with sources.
    Personally I am always available for any kind of information, though I might not always have it.

* any information that is not (in)directly harmful to any other person or group, as this would make it very hard to find any judicial grounds for such a group.

2. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Could you expand a bit on the idea? It sounds like an interesting concept, but it doesn't really explain how it works. What kind of information, what is really expected of the people involved etc...

3. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I'm not sure wh you have in mind, but I think that's a greart objective. However, there are many institutions that offer vast amounts of information, free of charge. Local libraries, for example, in fact, many are networked, I can get books, films, or music from all over the state. There are also newspaper and magazine archives, some of which are availible online. There are online libraries full of books, mostly classics, and old books that aren't copyrighted, for example this site run by UPENN;http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/search.html You can find Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, etc. A number of universities offer their courses for free over the internet. You can't get credit, but you can get the information. here's a link to MIT's Open Courseware page, from the looks of it there are 1900 availible without registering. http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

4. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

fuckin grand, u have an open mind.

5. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

I was half-stoned when posting the idea, so to address some of the questions and comments:
    How it would work:
    The idea is to offer 'classes' if you will. The 'classes' can be as versatile in nature as teaching someone to write fiction, to teaching someone to weld. Both practical and theoretical classes should be addressed.
    Kind of information:
    Mostly skills and theoretical applications.
    Expectations of people involved:
    There are a few different jobs I can think of: an indexer (who makes indexes of the information and sources available), 'teacher' (who offers the information available, including expanding on them) and librarians (who find and store the information, in the form of textbooks, etc)
    Difference between FII and library/archive:
    The major difference between a library/archive and the idea I have is that people would actively be guided towards the information, instead of being set loose in a major collection of info. This would require a good index of the information available and where it is stored and people interested in helping others for no personal gain.

Hope this clears it up a bit. So basically I'm thinking of a cross-over between a library and a school, an institution for spreading knowledge, basically.
    Information, for me, is one of the major changes we can affect without using capitalist means.

6. Anom

Anom Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 21, 2009

Even if to me still a bit abstract, i really like the idea. :thumbsup: