Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Free Pussy Riot! SVBD PSRT

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by silkie45, Mar 12, 2012.

1. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    Pussy Riot's art or performances may not be my cup of mate...

[​IMG]

I think of girls n women who might be for the first time thinking of Anarcha Feminism, fuck that’s awesome.

I am quite trilled to see the words "Anarchists" and "Feminist" in news reports all over the world, let the conversations begin... :D

2. rabidpossum

rabidpossum Active Member Forum Member

Jun 9, 2012

i think it's sweet the shit they've done, no matter if i or you or any other authorities on what's okay think about it. the dead chicken thing is disgusting. counter-productive probably all day. but i love in your face fuck you shit. and i live in the U S of A where most of us think we've seen it all, and i think if it seems lame to a bunch of us anarchists on the internet, yet still has the world's attention, that's a double whammy in my book. heaven forbid anyone did anything knowing they were gonna go down for it.

3. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

What's wrong with an orgy in a museum?

Outside of that, yr masturbating with a dead chicken line is, from my understanding, slightly inaccurate:
    http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/review ... -29-11.asp
    besides, firstly, I think it happened after Nadezhda had split from Voina anyway.
    Secondly, it's better art than, say, one of numerous Jackson Pollock's or Dali's numerous masturbatory fantasies. Or Damien Hirst.
    Moreover, art wankers are going to be art wankers....

I think presently the bigger risk is recuperation. Sure, plagiarism may be necessary (like the idea for the church gig), but it seems necessary to get that copyright sorted out, and quick, lest they find themselves in a crass-esque charade:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/20 ... tion-video

4. Boomstick

Boomstick Experienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2009

I'm probably gonna regret this but... what do you people have against art? I happen to like Dali a lot...

5. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Whats the point of it ?

And a museum is a public area for the people, not a place for sex... Especially when there's probably children around... Also it's a fucking meaningless target, it's not like they would have done it in parlement or something like that...

I have something against retarded actions like a girl masterbating with a dead chicken when i go buy some food, or a bunch of idiots making an orgy around us when i go to the museum with my childrens

(no i don't have kids, it was just a scenario as exemple)

6. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

I'm probably gonna regret this even more but...

So masturbating with a dead chicken is retarded but burning a public bus is not?

7. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I don't see the link with the debate we're having. Pussy Riot burnt a bus ?

I'll say it again : Masturbating with a dead chicken is not a political act, nor is it helping the feminist cause. Then what is it ? Stupidity.

Burning a public bus COULD be considered as a political act, but it's still stupid (not a good target).

8. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

No they didn't, I was referring to three buses burnt this month here on Santiago, there's a thread about it here.

Ok then I thought you supported the burning of buses, my mistake I'm glad that you don't.

As to the chicken masturbation... to be honest right now I don't know how to feel about it. I know it's stupid but since it was harmless...

Who am I kidding, it is retarded, but since it wasn't pussy riot who did it there's not much point to debate about it, seems the people involved in those actions just want attention.

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Dali was massively pro-Franco..in case you didn't know....

10. Boomstick

Dec 10, 2009

Yes I do, still I love his art but the man... not so much.

11. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

I support them just because they are fighting Putin. Didn't know much about them, but I must admit I lost some respect when I heard what they did with the chicken. I also agree that orgy in museum is useles action, and it's just a show off. But I don't agree with :
    But it's ridiculous to give 2 yearz for that.

12. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

Just like everyone I suppose, I think the punishment is ridiculous and solidarity with them is necessary. However, it was obvious from day one that they were artists looking for shock value, "changing the world through performance art". I Understand what they are doing on an intellectual basis, but art students seldom do convincing politics but often dream of being persecuted by a regime (I'm not implying that Pussy Riots were intentionally looking for that much trouble though).

But what really pisses me off is that right now, big bloody artists like Madonna (I'll spare you the French ones) are saying they support jailed artists around the world and that art should be free and that Russia is evil and so on. There is nothing white liberals love more than a cause like this to defend. Nevermind the thousands of common people in prison in Russia or the murdered punks, that's not glamorous enough, but a bunch of feminists involved in a spectacular action against one of the liberals' favourite bad guy, now everyone is getting all excited and you have the cheesiest rants about free speech and art.

Pussy Riots are the new Tibet.

13. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

I think this is key. They may have done some foolish/controversial/post-modern(?) stuff in the past but key is this: a protest against an oppressive, unchallengeable leader has resulted in grossly unjust punishment. Support is a no-brainer. If it leads to even a moderation of the Putin regime then something good will have come from this. Ultimately, their ideas (political, artistic or otherwise) may not directly chime with yours or mine but they're fighting the 'good fight', so to speak.

This is too true, however. Fucking wankers who would never have the guts to criticise their own government will happily rally against obvious oppression from an obvious (and wholly un-'American', un-Westernised) oppressor.

14. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

I guess bottom line is, using art to promote your politics is fine, using politics to promote your art is shite.

But yeah, 2 years is well over the top.

15. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

I don't particularly mind Dali's paintings, but they are masturbatory fantasies.

As I stated above, the chicken thing was done by Voina, not Pussy Riot. From my understanding, only Nadezhda was a member of Voina, and had split from the group prior to this happening. So, regardless of whether you think this performance was horrid or whatever (which I kinda don't), its largely irrelevant to a discussion on Pussy Riot, and pretty unfair to present it as a Pussy Riot action. Moreover, describing the action as 'masturbating with a dead chicken' is, from my understanding, inaccurate (not a particularly important point, but one worth mentioning anyway).

As for the orgy in the museum, sure, we can debate the political effectiveness of this action (of which I'm rather unsure of, tbh); but do I find it, say, moral reprehensible or distasteful? No, not at all. Moreover, if some actions by some radical (or 'avant-garde', which is certainly not synonymous and for the lack of a better term) groups are perhaps a little bit shit, I don't think it necessarily follows that they then become 'stupid' and 'counter-productive'.

16. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    No, i don't support it.

Vegetarians will say it was a chicken killed for no reason that won't even be eaten now !

A supermarket isn't the biggest symbol of capitalism. Why didn't they do it in a bank, in a mcdonalds, a wal-mart, a government office, or something like that ?

Obviously.

But like i said, if some anarchists did the same thing as them in countries like USA, Canada, or France, they would still face the State's repression and nobody would support them. The media would stay quiet about it. But if it happens in Russia or China, everyone will jump on it.

Did you check the video ? ...

It's not counter-productive because the action is shit, but because the result of it is a regression of the feminist's cause.
    Feminists will complaint that the women's body is used by capitalists to sell products, but they use women's body and sex to sell an idea... Not better... But like i said, i still prefer what FEMEN are doing.
    I really don't think shocking people into disgust will convert them to our ideas...

17. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

No, the link appears to be broken. Doesn't particularly matter either way though.

18. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    Do you know if there were children around?
    They've got guts though, I'll give them that, doing that shit in Russia,(I'm referring to the gig in front of the cathedral) knowing what could happen to them. 2 years is a long time. Was it stupid? probably. Anyway, my heart goes out to them. \m/

19. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Link is still working:
    http://www.upvideo.nl/Node.aspx?id=d0rk&vid=W5-ZG1cC70mkncV-vVHWRA&sr=1

It's a museum.

If i'm willing to risk 2 years in jail, there's a long list of actions i would do before masterbating with a chicken, drawing penis on a bridge, fucking in a museum, and even doing a gig in front of a cathedral...

20. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

'How to shoplift a chicken'.

In my opinion, it's pathetic. Not only because I'm vegeterian, but because they achived nothing. It's pointless and rude.

And yes, what they achived is this :