Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Dumpster Diving

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by JesusCrust, Mar 1, 2011.

1. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Never gotten caught. I do it quite often, though not every night. My best personal score was about 30 bagels, and 5 bags of grapes. I only went out for about an hour that night. Fed me and some friends for about 3 days straight. Still have some left over. I know a guy through a guy who came up on 48 boxes of shelf stable soy milk at once, and about 100 apples.

As far as tips go, I'd say just don't be a dumbass, and always try to leave it cleaner than when you started.

2. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes, I found that bandana in the trash too, haha.

And with some of those vegetables I made Fried Zucchini Tofu "Parmesan."

[​IMG]

3. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    My first time dumpstering, my band was hanging out with our friend's band, and went over to the grocery store near where we were jamming. This was in the middle of the afternoon, so of course, by the time we load up our bags with various vegetables/fruit from the produce bins, one of the dudes working went out for a smoke break and started screaming at us for stealing from the dumpster. Then he started chasing us all around (there was about 10 of us), until we all made a mad dash for the cars. Got enough veggies, along with the rice noodles and peanut sauce we stole, to make stir-fry to feed us all, with leftovers.

I've gotten pretty lucky lately dumpstering from the health food stores/bakerys around where I live, but I've gotten lazy the last couple months 'cause of the damn cold (I usually go out around 10pm-midnight).

Between Waterloo and Guelph, there's a health food distributor warehouse called Pure Source, and it's one of the best places to dumpster I've ever been to. It's a bit a drive, so I only really go there if I'm on my way to/from Guelph, that and I don't drive. In one trip, I found 4 cases (12 cartons in each) of chocolate and unflavoured soy milk, 3 casses of tofu, some assorted fruit juice and a huge bag of pita bread. At food distro warehouses like that, if one carton/box/bag/whatever in a case breaks, they throw the whole thing out, so all you have to do is jump in the dumpster, fish out what you want, maybe rinse it off (if you're a clean freak :p ) and enjoy.
    Though with bread, if you dumpster it, it might not be a bad idea to store it in the freezer, unless you feel like eating it in the very near future. Found that one out the hard way...

4. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

goddamnit jesus i wanna dive wich you. hit me up one of these days and i'll bust my ass down to your end of town

5. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    depending on where u are diving, ALWAYS wear protective gloves. I have cut my hands on glass going through dumpsters more then once, and HAVE A GOOD STICK HANDY, preferably with a hook at the end of it, this will make it easier to shift things around, and fish things out of the bottom. Of course this wont likely help you with food, but when i was into diving, it was more for the treasure hunt.

6. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

I've never dumpster dived (there's always plenty of food my parents buy at my house, so until I'm on my own I'll leave the dumpsters for those who need 'em), though I really wonder why store owners give a shit if they've THROWN THE GODDAMN FOOD OUT ALREADY. What piece of shit excuse for a human being would rather something go to a fucking dump then into someone's stomach? Makes me fucking pissed :@ :ecouteurs:

7. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

It's fun cooking meals with dumpstered food, and serving it to friends/ family who are conditioned against the idea, then telling them after they're done that I got it out of the trash.

8. Veganarchy

Veganarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 10, 2009

Well, I guess this song could be the theme for at least 50% of my diet:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZCIlY8q4Dc&playnext=1&list=PL76847E2734A273D3[/video]

I'll write more about this topic soon, cause I've got a lot to say about it, but I'm too tied now :ecouteurs:

9. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

It pissed me off having to throw shit in the dumpster that could've been donated when I worked at this place in FL. There's a ton of homeless people in FL and they don't want anybody getting anything for free so bad they made us destroy shit before we threw it away. Had to rip up blankets and clothes, cut open food and pour shit on it, smash everything else that couldn't be returned to the vendor. As i worked in the back of the store, I was one of the people tasked with chasing off homeless and dumpster divers. Sometimes I would leave stuff in tact near the top of the dumpster and if i was working alone i'd turn a blind eye to people in the dumpster. I got busted doing that, luckily by one of the more lenient security guys and one of the managers that liked me and i got a verbal warning. I was told if I was caught again i'd be fired, and as I had a pregnant GF at home I stopped doing it. Shit sucks.

I've always wanted to dumpster dive, but hell i can't even find enough time to sleep half the time.

10. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    the food you get is at least wrapped up right? i mn it's not loose against the sides of the dumpster or touching other trash is it?

11. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Oh man I just laughed so hard Anx...how do you think we make Food Not Bombs?

12. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    go ahead and laugh, this is all new to me. When i used to do food not bombs we got donations from a group called the catholic worker, i've never heard of people using garbage food if it is loose...

13. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

I got really confused because the drop down box when you highlight the subject on the side said I started this thread, but then I saw that OP got b& or something.

But no, typically the stuff I get isn't packaged. I just grab any vegan food that still looks edible and not absolutely gross.

14. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

from personal experience, sometimes its better to hit up the supermarkets and stuff in the rich areas (obviously this can be a bit hard, traveling long distances late-ish, when public transport and shit is finishing up). Less security, better stuff thrown out etc. Often is the case that in the 'activist-y' areas here, folks get in before you do, and staff are more clued up to dumpster divers, which can be good or bad, sometimes security is stepped up, sometimes the staff leave shit out or at the top for divers. The tendency to lock up supermarket dumpsters has been growing here, but someone you know can always get a set of their dumpster keys cut for you. ;)

Medium sized chain stores can be good, less tendency to lock up dumpsters, etc, bakeries especially (breadtop and bakers delight over here are generally awesome). Also dumpster for non-edible stuff, I decked out me old man's caravan with mugs, glasses and cutlery dumpstered from Target (like Walmart), we also found an inflatable jumping castle once...

Returning to my first point, I'll tell a short amusing story from dumpstering in a rich area. I use to go to the dumspters out the back of a supermarket in Toorak, next to said dumpsters was the entrance to a very trendy nightclub (in Melbourne, the more obscure the entrance, the more trendy the venue...). Early in the week no-one was around, but I went there one friday night and there was this huge queue out the front of the club. I had just finished going through the dumpsters next to a large group of Mercedes driving wankers. They were looking at me funny, and I looked at them in their $200 t-shirts and $500 skimpy dresses (it was winter too), and we kinda shared this mutual look of 'i have absolutely nothing in common with you' for a bit. I found it a bit surreal and kinda amusing.

15. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

It's strange, I was going to post about freeganism and dumpster-diving today. Anyway, I haven't done it before, don't really have anyone to go with nor the knowledge to go out by myself but I'm tempted to give it a try. My question was actually relating it to veganism. First, do those of you that go and are vegan, do you leave meat that still appears perfectly edible (apart from the unappealing factor that it is flesh)? Or, if not, do you consume it or what? Also, its argued people could easily totally sustain themselves through freeganism and so, I was wondering, do people consider it more ethical than veganism (though, through other factors, perhaps still not better)? Thoughts, please.

16. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

i'll leave the moral arguments for the vegans...
    however, eating dumpstered meat can be dodgy at the best of times.
    Veges are much easier to tell whether they're edible or not.

17. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Dude...that would make my fucking YEAR

18. moose

moose Active Member Forum Member

Jan 14, 2011

Not to mention one hell of a fucking few minutes jumping around.

19. butcher

Sep 8, 2009

we lacked an air compressor, or the desire to blow it up.. it went to a nearby op shop

coulda posted it to you a year or so ago... :ecouteurs:

20. JesusCrust

Apr 17, 2010

Same that'd be too awesome.
    What dumpster was that in?