Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Dreads: Cultural Appropriation?

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by RXIl, Dec 16, 2017.

1. RXIl

RXIlNew Member New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Male
    California, United States United States
    I was thinking of getting dreads, but every one's saying that it's offensive because I'm not black? I'm not mocking anybody... I just want them because I'm tired of fucking combing my hair.
    If anyone can explain this whole concept or whatever to me, I'd appreciate it.

2. ungovernable

ungovernableAutonome Staff Member Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male, 31 years old
    Canada Canada
    This whole Identity Politics thing is getting out of hand. The Haircut Police also accused punks with mohawks of cultural appropriation against indigenous people. If it was so much of a big deal why didn't this debate come out before today? Punks have been having mohawks since 1977, and dreads since even longer. But people are only upset against it now, wtf? After the debate about cultural appropriation, radicals wanted to ban anarchists with dreads from entering the Montreal Anarchist Bookfair around 3 years ago. They even hanged flyers next to the public seats stating "NO WHITE DREADS ALLOWED". I truly understand the importance of the cultural appropriation problem in the society in general, but those marginalizing people already over-marginalized by the society is fucking stupid. Get dreads if you want them, but be ready to deal with Identity Politics thugs once in a while.

Pats likes this.
  3. LIVE_FREE

LIVE_FREEActive Member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Male
    Ontario, Canada Canada
    Those people are closed minded idiots. Tell them to fuck off and wear your hair how you want. I have dreads in the back of my mohawk because of my pillow. Is my pillow racist?

363, ungovernable and Pats like this.
  4. LIVE_FREE

LIVE_FREEActive Member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Male
    Ontario, Canada Canada
    How racist is that right? "NO WHITE DREADS ALLOWED". Is it around the corner from the blacks only water fountain? These PC SJW retards make me sick. Im native i would NEVER bitch a someone for sporting a hawk. Simple as that.

ungovernable likes this.
  5. elahrairah

elahrairahMember New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Female, 18 years old
    Turkey Turkey
    keeping alive someone's values.. i think its not bad at all

6. anarchowitch

anarchowitchMember New Member

I guess my only argument against dreads isn't a political one or about identity politics. But as someone that's done dreads on someone else's head I can tell you that it destroys the hair when done on white hair. White hair doesn't dread as it can't make the proper curl pattern so instead it gets matted not unlike the hairs by a dog's belly. All you can do with it if you want to get rid of them is cut them out. All the back combing destroys the cuticle layer of the hair which is what keeps the nutrients in. Speaking as a stylist of 4 years btw.

detached805 likes this.
  7. 363

363Active Member Forum Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Male
     United States
    As I've read years ago, the significance of the hairstyle had to do with Rastafari making an outward commitment of their religious devotion, something that could not be undone without cutting the hair.

Many religious traditions adopt the hairstyle including Sadhus of India and sects of Tibetan Buddhism.

The earliest historical reference to dreadlocks comes from ancient Greece. Another comes from a Cree chief.

Hippies wore them. Punks wear them.

Who are the victims being hurt by this? Must one prove ancestry when questioned to avoid the charge of cultural appropriation?

LIVE_FREE likes this.

14 members have read this thread this month

1. ungovernable
  2. elahrairah
  3. punkmar77
  4. LIVE_FREE
  5. THEBLACKNOVA
  6. Pats
  7. ScottO
  8. anarchowitch
  9. LazyFuck
  10. squalorvagabond