Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Anxiety69, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    I am curious what is thought of him from an Anarchist perspective, and also from people outside the USA if they are familiar with him.

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Aside from his obvious religious ties and plagiarist discrepancies, a very courageous man that knew he would be killed and continued his fight.

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Im not sure what you mean by this, please elaborate :)

4. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    He is widely believed to have plagiarized some of his college papers including some of his thesis, however it has not been conclusively proven. The writings involved are close enough to each other to make it questionable.....but so what? In my eyes it doesn't negate any of his later life's accomplishments, not by a long-shot.

5. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

yeah he did alot for peace and anti racism...but his words are used by the state, church and other racist and violent authorities. that's why there's malcom x to balance his words out. too bad nothings changed since his time except the laws and the white nationalists' balls....well the tea party contradicts that a bit.

6. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Yeah, I've heard the plagarism rumors, the rumors that he wasn't really a reverend or that he never received his doctorate and a bunch of other shit. Whether they're true or racist propaganda I really don't care enough to go research it.

I'm not knocking his work, but he wasn't the only civil rights activist to die, just the only one to get his own "day". I think the government just uses his image and words as well as the holiday to say "See, we're not racist...AND you get the day off work/school. Uncle Sam loves you all equally" as well as to promote the false notion that the civil rights struggle is over and everyone is equal. When it comes down to it I'd rather have a holiday to commemorate the civil rights movement (even though it's not over) as a whole, instead of focusing on one person who was involved.

7. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    They weren't rumors Jack, he really did write some questionable papers, but in the grand scheme of things it didn't matter at all. MLK is the symbolic embodiment of all the people killed in the quest for equal rights in the U.S.. Of course many, many others, who were of many different ethnicity's also lost their lives and continue to lose their lives, the list is a long, sad, and pathetic one.

8. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

MLK Jr. and Gandhi are interchangeable in my avatar, dare I call them martyrs?

They both were able to inspire masses of people to unify and practice civil disobedience and non-violent resistance,
    that earns you an A in my book no matter what your religious affiliation is

9. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

And I was successful in doing so