Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

D.O.A

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by luca89, Dec 27, 2011.

1. luca89

luca89 Active Member Forum Member

Dec 27, 2011

Hi everybody..
    I like very much the punk band D.O.A that keeps alive the diy and anarchist attitude..(so I thought)
    but I have known that the singer joe shithead has partecipated to the elections with the green party..
    this thing has shocked me..
    moreover DOA were in the compilation ROCK AGAINST BUSH..that "pro-Obama" shit!!!
    what happened to the anarchist D.O.A??
    please reply!!

2. elshano

elshano Member New Member

Dec 28, 2011

Being of Joe S's age, I can't say that a lot of good things happen to us during the aging process, living in this thing called a world.
    I can't speak for his, or the 'stance' of anyone else in D.O.A., but I still like them for what they are, not what they're not.

3. luca89

Dec 27, 2011

Thanks but I am still trying to Understand who really they are..I don't want accuse nobody but there's something that doesn’t quite fit..
    Because I have always known that they were anarchist,but I have seen that joe was in the "green party" and it's not thing that a true anarchist would do..
    I am wondering about their ideals because you can't support anarchy and a political party..it is an oxymoron..
    I'm not criticizing them,I'am only trying to understand

4. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Joey Shithead is all about bringing people together and getting them all riled up. He's been doing that with D.O.A. for 30+ years, and his running with the Green party is just an extension of that.

5. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    On a side note, D.O.A. are more widely known as an "activist" punk band, rather than a strictly "anarchist" band.

6. luca89

Dec 27, 2011

if you look the cover of TALK- ACTION=0 there is a circle A..if they're not anarchist you should not find a thing like this on a DOA album..

7. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

Unfortunately, the presence of a circle A in their artwork says nothing of their personal philosophy. Is there a song on the album that espouse an anarchist sentiment?

8. luca89

Dec 27, 2011

Not, but it should be..because if I'm not an anarchist i dont show the circle A on my cd,this can cheat the kids who see it..
    I have read that joe says that anarchy can be a costructive thing,but maybe he's not anarchist because he supported the green party..
    I have just wondered because things don't quite fit to me..I were just curious..far away from me the intent to criticize
    \m/

9. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

Trust your instincts, I say. If it smells like it's only slightly-radical, then it probably is only slightly-radical. But hey, it's always best to give some time and patience to music that endorses some of your ideas, even if it's by people who wouldn't agree with all of them. Affter all, they make better allies than people who think you're wrong on every point!

10. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    Why does running for the BC Green Party immediately eliminate your anarchist credentials? I completely disagree. Do any of the posters on this site actually know anything about our provincial green party? have you ever had a conversation with Joe?

Over the years D.O.A. has performed TONS of free shows for Anarchists groups and are WELL known in BC for being supportive of the Anarchist community. Are you being critical because his life doesn't reflect your shoe box view of Anarchism? Or because you're too pathetic to get off your ass and actually create positive change.

Voting and participating in our political process, as an anarchist, is a personal choice. I have and will again run as a candidate for our regional district (municipal type government for unincorporated areas of BC's rural population), if that immediately removes my Anarchist credentials in your mind then FUCK YOU. I work wherever I can to achieve whatever successes I can and I do so without illusion towards the political process or wearing a dogmatic blindfold. How do you think anything would get done in a 'anarchist' society' or are you just using the idea of anarchism as an excuse complain and do nothing?

The people I have been able to work with, though fearful of anything packaged as 'Anarchism' are VERY open to subtle persuasion around community development, direct democratic participation and public consultation. Our regional district just began structuring an agricultural advisory panel to create a local food security plan, should I refuse to participate then be suprised when Monsanto's GM's are scattered throughout my area? I am under NO illusion that I can change the overall direction of society through my community work but I do it in concert with other work, such as living in an intential community, farming organically, and tranforming my families farm into a worker run and owned cooperative.

What have you done?

...and if you are doing more than the average, this isn't directed at you but your probably aware of that already.

11. luca89

Dec 27, 2011

if you disagree i can understand,but if you say fuck you to me and are so aggressive,the constructive dialogue ends here

12. Danarchy

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    I appreciate that you took the tone of the post personally, I did not say 'Fuck You' to you personally. I intentionally avoided quoting people because it was not directed at anyone inparticular rather those who deem it appropriate to control what others do. If you are saying I am not an Anarchist because I am not behaving the way you do or use tatics that are not on your 'approved list', I would say 'Fuck You'. If you told me to my face that my mainstream activism/ political participation removed my 'Anarchist' credentials, I would say 'Fuck You' or more likely who cares what you think. You would have already ended constructive discussion by telling me what I could or couldn't do.

Who are you to judge anothers beliefs just because you don't agree with their tactics? You do not know me, nor do you, by posting this thread, know Joe. The man has far more depth to his ideas and tactics than what has simply been written by a few ancient authors or armchair anarchist activists or Black Block protestors. My opinion, as uninformed as it is, is that he is an Anarchist in the way Noam Chomsky was an Anarchist 10 years ago, in private. Joe, Chomsky and I understand that once the label 'Anarchy' is brought up it is loaded with so much misinformation in the general public that it stifles discussion. Many Anarchists, even those that listen to anarcho-punk, do not wear their politics on their sleeves believing in subtle persuasion rather than 'in your face' protesting.

As far as I am concerned Anarchism is, as Joe say's, the beginning of a conversation. It accepts a multitude of solutions rather than imposing a programme or manifesto. It is a way of making decisions rather than imposing prescribed solutions. Within our Cooperative we are open about our belief in Anarchism. We operate as a commune but hold personal property/ possessions and private residence, our daily activities are governed by syndicalist principles and we deal with the general public, suppliers and sales within the existing system of commerce as well as barter and trade. We hold individual equality, direct worker control and community ownership of production and products as sacrosanct but anything else is openly debated. We may not be 'pure' anarchists in the eyes of others but we are not interested in others imposing their values or ideas on us. Our attitude is, come work with us and participate or keep your puritan attitudes to yourself. Under an 'Anarchist system', you would be hard pressed to find anything that you might imagine as an 'Anarchist' model, rather you would find a multitude of models each reflecting the interests of that particular community/ industry while participating with the over all society in a multitude of ways.

What we need, as Anarchists, is not the criticism of one individual who is not here to defend themself but the development of constructive systems and alternatives to move ourselves out of obscurity and the predominant economic systems; to experiment; emulate the beliefs we say we hold. Unless we can build an alternative model to the mainstream then we will remain irrelevant to the mainstream. Enable and empower others to create change rather than criticize the lack of perfection of others.

My intent was not a personal attack rather an attack on an attitude of social conformity. If you took it personally then I would assume that you hold the attitude that I/ Joe/ everyone must conform to your standards of approved tactics in order to be an Anarchist therefore my hostility was not misplaced. I do not suffer the authority of others lightly be they self described capitalist, communist or 'anarchist'.

13. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Danarchy I can appreciate everything you posted and agree with almost all of it, minus a point or two, however please remember that our forum is international and all ages so many times we are dealing with forum members who are:

A. Sometimes very new to anarchism
    B. Sometimes very young
    C. Sometimes struggle with what we take for granted...the English language

Please try to refrain from an aggressive stance unless the person is being abusive/combative themselves. We have many members that have been with us for a while and have learned a lot from our little corner of the web, others not so much, but my point is we should try to nurture further understanding in those of us that are not quite clear what it all means, and from what you've posted so far I think you have a lot to offer. Hung out with Mr. Shithead a couple months ago and had a great time, I personally think DOA's track record speaks for itself and also being in a band I know for a fact that it is virtually impossible to have 100% consensus in anarchist ideology and/or radical participation among band members.

14. luca89

Dec 27, 2011

The only thing that i wanted to do was to understand,not to criticise what you do...
    you surely are more informed than me..and that's the reason why I joined this website..I'd like to speak with people from other countries..
    i was confused about DOA's attitude and i wanted that someone would explain his point of view,nothin more..
    I dont wanna say to none what he should do
    everyone of us has his belief

15. Danarchy

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada

In retrospect, you are right, I was unfortunately aggressive and demonstrated a significant lack of composure. In my defense, I have received 'the judgement' regarding political participation from Anarchists on numerous, uncountable times that the issue has become 'too personal' for me. We, as Anarchists, need people like Joe in politics.

I will, try to, tone myself down in the future.

16. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Well all right, thank you both... <3

17. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

Maybe Joe Shithead is an anarchist at heart but wouldn't mind actually seeing some positive changes in society during his lifetime, instead of just dreaming. What a sad state of affairs when 'anarcho punks' have nothing better to do than to try to discredit their own allies.