Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Crass: Capitalist traitors using copyright laws against Anarcho-Punk.Net - 3000 albums deleted because of these greedy selfish sellout bastards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anarcho-Punk.net, Jul 18, 2012.

1. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Yeah but wasn`t the whole deal that they don`t live up to what they preach? I mean them criticizing the `77 bands when they in fact were no better. Or maybe I got it wrong? Anyway.

Theres nothing wrong with making money, but they should understand that the world has changed since the 80`s. They will never be able to stop people from downloading their music, so all artists need to find new ways to make money. I don`t collect records or anything, when I buy music I thrift. If I really like a band, I go see them.
    That sounds all fine and dandy but to what extent should you give up the opposition? It would be disastrous if they actually started buying into the system, like many do(not just talking about bands here). To be accepted by more people you have to kinda start selling yourself to the masses, and that means taking part in the system you were originally against. That might have sounded really far out but I hope you get the point.
    Its kinda like saying you`ll fight the system from "the inside"=mopping floors on McDonalds to sabotage the company. Get it?

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Ok, right, it was a godwin point, but if you think the only grudge i have against Crass is about the mediafire story then you understood nothing about this thread and i suggest you read again everything that has been said about Crass, Southern, Steve and Penny on this forum.

My point is that wearing a Crass patch for what it used to stand for is pretty much useless.... Just like it would be stupid to wear Anti-Flag stuff for what it used to stand for when everyone knows they became sellout... Or wearing Chumbawamba merch because they used to be anti-commercial

This reminds of people wearing USSR symbolic because they think the soviet councils idea was great while ignoring what it became in the end...

Yes, since the Megaupload story Mediafire turned crazy. They have suspended our accounts on Pirate-Punk and QuebecUnderground also... For no reason.

But I can confirm that they suspended APN account because Crass filed a complain. I received an email from Mediafire explaining that. When they suspend your account without receiving a complaint you dont receive emails like this one... I know it because it happenned with my other accounts

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    For example... ?

But hey, McDonalds donate money to poor children.

Maybe, but let's just stop calling them anti-capitalist.

4. xXZenyattaXx

xXZenyattaXx Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 29, 2012

put a few coppers into the slot.....

5. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Man, I've been inactive here for too long, can't really be bothered reading all 14 pages, but what I have read really hurts!

Maybe it's just the people at Southern Records, maybe it's Crass themselves who should fight against this, no matter what, it hurts to see.

I can't find it in my initial search through this thread - how does the economy of the site look, and are you still needing 200 dollars a month?

6. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 28, 2010

yeah, all this copyright story is shit, I know. true, but they still have to get it (the new ways) or leave it as it happened here, what is shit. but - it's obvious that they sold out, isn't it? so, where's the big deal? it happens, it's shit, but i don't want to cry about it for months. i want to get on with it. and, after all, it's everyone's personal choice how to deal with it. rip the patch off, keep it for the message that it used to deliver, crying for months. okay, do it, i just say it won't be really useful to do so. its, like, not THAT important, ya know?

I'm not saying "we may have to change our minds 180 degree someday", but if they want to spread awareness on topics (like real/false democrazy, the ezln, anti-militarism and whatnot), they may need to step out of the small scene. hell, yes, it's not anti-capitalist anymore, but, like, there are capitalists WAY WORSE than anti-flag, sure? and even if it isn't anti-capitalist anymore, it doesn't mean you are forbidden to speak out critic on capitalism. of course, it means softening to a certain extend, but it's a compromise between keeping the fight going on AND letting it step higher on the ladder of public consciousness.
    btw., while mopping the mcdonalds floors, you can also steal some screws and nuts... :ecouteurs:

militaryfreezone.com ?
    plus, raising peoples awareness has worth in itself, it's not money, but something different valuable. or is it only money that counts as value?

seriously? kay, i'm off to get my burger... :lmao:
    of course, greenwashing anyone?

word.

thats it. they stop being anti-capitalist, but they are still critics on the modern way of life and economics. this is called compromise and of course, its not like flushing all your ideals down the toilet.
    what i notice often on here is some kind of painting things black & white (not only your clothes, comrades :D ).
    but truth is, they are NOT only black & white. there are some shades of grey (and a lot of colours, too) in between.

7. nclpw

May 25, 2012

Yeah, I can get that. But this really is kinda funny, its hard to let go of it. Oh sure, I`ve never liked the band myself so I guess I don`t know how this would affect someone that has the crass logo tattooed on their forehead. I don`t care if anyone still listens to them or buys their music, but what they did was really shitty.

But okay, just to blow this totally out of proportions; Just look at world politics today. There are very few real radicals that can get ahead in politics because they refuse to change. Which is good! You shouldn`t compromise over things like these, you`ll just end up like another mid-left party that has bought into neo-liberalism and is practically no different from any other party in the political spectrum. I think the reason anarchist parties even exist is that people don`t see them as a threat to society(not talking about anarchist activists, but "green parties" and the likes). Also calling yourself a communist would be considered ridiculous today, seeing that everyone thinks the word communist is synonymous with soviet, china or north-korea.
    But of course, if your point was being friendly to/not spitting at people that don`t look like you I agree. But punks starting to take showers and looking representable? I`d cry.
    I still get scared every time I hear talk about "softening" or toning down. Thats just conforming, and while you`re gaining support in the masses you lose support from the subculture. There don`t seem to be many bands that can pull off both, if any.
    Haha yes, but still you`re just another faceless idiot on McDonalds that no one will listen to.

8. AgentOrange

Sep 28, 2010

Well, what I'm trying to say is this:
    I consider anarchists being part of this current so-called "social movement".
    And what i see is this movement has a variety to approach the current problems on earth, be it economic overdrive, destruction of ecosystems, food and land UNsovereignty, and what the fuck not.
    there are activists.
    there are kind of researchers.
    there are academics.
    there are farmers and peasants.
    there are like politicians, too. people in charge. stuff like that. (not THAT many, of course...)
    and, and, and...

now, what i've seen all time over the past few years (since i'm into all this stuff) is people of one part of this movement fucking up people of another part, mostly for their approach to the protests, campaigns, whatever. there are the pacifists, crying about the rather violent black bloc. there are anarchists crying about evil communists and partys'n'politics at all. there are even the "older", experienced people crying about the "youngsters".

and all this is not really helping the whole thing, at all. so, my opinion is that whatever strategy works and can be supported, should be supported. there are people who want to smash the banks. let them do it! there are people who want to sit down and block streets or shops. let them do it! there are people trying to fight their fight on a political (this means governmental) level, being it the peasants organizations or people INSIDE the EU-parliament/bueraucratic beast. let them do it! theres not only one way to change the world!
    and together, all this strategies are indeed more effective than being applied seperately (the Castor-transports in germany being the perfect example for how this multiple-strategy-ehm... strategy works fucking great!!!).

and i don't think constant shitfights and hyper-sensitive critics are useful to this, IF they bind people on the discussion level of action, for without action - theres nothing happening.

now, all this does - in my opinion - happen on a far too BIG scale even inside the anarchist movement. neither am i saying that we should stop criticising our selves, nor other people/parts of our (sub-)culture/parts of this "social movement"! i'm just saying, let's get on and leave the useless fights aside, say the things that are fucked up, ofc even: take action against things that are fucked up (inside and outside). just, while a topic is on, keep asking: is it really useful/needed to discuss this further? i there a progress in discussion? or is it standing still/just moving around one point?
    because all this energy we invest in discussing (while it's very important too, to connect us people and keeping us moving forward/learning) can also be invested in things that can -maybe- help our dream in a more efficient way (sorry for all this capitalist/productivist language, but seriously, they are working with the same focus against us...).

and finally: it's up to everyone to say: i'm going into compromise OR: fuck it! i stay straight to it!
    what's important, in my opinion, is what comes out of it. if crass (aka steve and southern and whoever sold out) are doing nothing more than earning money with the "revolution", SHIT! but it's not always like this. as i said, there's no black, theres no white, and it's not that important what's being said, but what happens.

so, I will keep fighting and DREAMING for a better world! \m/

9. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    I was never that fanatical about them that I'd get the logo tattooed on my forehead :p but I do have the symbol on my arm and I'm not about to get my arm amputated because some of crass sold out. I think, although people identify the symbol with crass (one could even argue that it's in fact not just a symbol but a logo), it can stand on its own and its meaning cannot be tarnished (I know someone may bring up the argument of the swastika at this point but I really don't think we can compare the two). And the legacy of crass is more important than the band members' current endeavors. Even they cannot change their legacy.
    Yeah, this sure would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious.

10. nclpw

May 25, 2012

Well I can get the frustration over the fact that we are only discussing, but this is a forum. We can`t actually do anything here but to discuss and share music. I`m pretty sure a lot of the people on the forum do more than just sit in front of their laptops though.
    And sure, the movement would benefit from organizing in a better way, but then again a lot of people have some very fundamental differences and therefore they can`t be in "the same group". I would never tolerate being associated to or having to work with, say an anarcho-capitalist, just because we might agree on one point. That would be Occupy all over again, just a huge aimless protest.

Well no, haha. No one is asking you to amputate your arm. And yes, what happened to crass is hardly comparable to ww2. I doubt you`re gonna get shit for that tattoo.

11. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    crustybeckham wanted to. :ecouteurs:

12. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    ahahahhahahaa I love it!!!

13. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

My axe has been sharpened. Don't be such a cry-baby. Be a man for fuck's sake! You can"t possibly have a Crass tattoo now that they are capitalist traitors. And you're lucky you don't have a Chumba tattoo on the leg.

:ecouteurs:

14. AgentOrange

Sep 28, 2010

or elsewhere... :ecouteurs:

15. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Oh shit, I didn't even think of that one haha.

16. nclpw

May 25, 2012

yes yes relax, it`ll only hurt a bit!

17. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Well I could always get a prosthesis substitute from a sex shop. The only problem is I'd be walking around with a permanent hard-on :lmao:

18. nclpw

May 25, 2012

haha walking aorund with a strap on at all times. hm. i guess you`d freak out a lot of people. you could could save it for special occasions, like when you`re wearing shorts in the subway, preferably after eleven.

19. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    I wonder if he sold out 2???

[​IMG]

20. Spike one of many

Aug 14, 2012
    Haha is that you?

21 members have read this thread this month

1. JonY
  2. Erroristic-Subculture.com
  3. dirtymind
  4. Noktuurn161
  5. VeganStill
  6. Starfighter
  7. greenman-23
  8. Max Genius