Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Copwatch

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by ungovernable, May 20, 2010.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    [video]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2914699985460241537&hl=en#[/video]

The Streets are Watching is a 50 minute video that takes a fresh look at police accountability through the eyes of three communities; Denver, Cincinnati and Berkeley. Independent filmmaker, Jacob Crawford, weaves three cities responses to police brutality into a single tale of community empowerment and direct action. Within an amazing collection of footage that portrays police conduct and misconduct, the film conveys basic legal concepts that can provide practical help to groups and individuals seeking a clearer understanding of their rights when dealing with police. The film is divided into sections that explain our basic rights, tactics for documenting police activity and ideas for further action and organizing. BerkeleyCopwatch.org Jacobsladderproduction.com

Torrent:
    http://onebigtorrent.org/torrents/1278/ ... e-Watching

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Re: Copwatch : These Streets Are Watching

why are you treating me like this? :'( ....Waaaaaahhhhhh

3. rude-boy

rude-boy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 12, 2010

hmm a few yars ago on my grad night (even though i did not graduate) 2 of my friends were having an argument outside a bar. they were dating and just having a loud argument. 2 cop cars came rolling in. and they got all in the situation not knowing what was going on. they then grabbed my friend jake threw him on the floor and cuffed him saying he was dangours. they then brought him into the ally beside the bar while bringing the girl. angela. to a cop car.

angela was talking to a few cop. they were trying to get her to say that jake beat her and were trying to force it in her mind pretty ,much that he was abusive. even though he never laid a hand on her they were even asking her to write a statement saying he punched her and threw her on the ground.

while that was going on my girl friend and i were at the allyway with jake and the cops. my girl friemnd was filming on her cell phone. the cops were trying to tell jake how he broke they law by yellking and kept calling him a woman beater. eventualy it started to piss him off so he started getting angry and loud. but he stood there against the wallnot doing anything threataning or illigal. then after saying the cop was a fucking asshole the cop smashed the back of his head 3 times into the wall he was standing against in cuffs. he dropped to the ground yelling in pain. they then dragged him to the cop car and drove away. my girlfriend zahra then followed the head smasher cop trying to get his badge numnber. the cop was saying we could not record and thretand to arrest my girlfriend. she refused to put the phone away to the cop grabbed the phone from her hand busted it in half then dropped it in my other friends drink. completly ruining the camera and film.

she tried to file a complante. she called the police office asking for the right people to contact and they gave her fake information. by the time she realised that it was the next day,. she tried calling again to complain and the police said it never happend and she was la lier and nothing was done. in the end jake needed 6 stitches in the back of his head and was relesed from the police 3 hours after the everything went down. no charges or anything, they had nothing on him and they just smashed his head because they did not like what he said.

im glad for this video because since then i was not sure what my rights to film cops were but npow i know and now i want a camera pretty bad. the things i could have recorded in my few years could have helped...but now i know and hopfully i can put it tpo use because i reallllly liked the idea and what it can do. and the looks of being norvous on the cops faces is great because they know if they fuck around they are the ones braking the laws.

4. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

Just remember Rude Boy these fuckers are criminals with badges and they have friends who are criminals with prosecutorial rights and friends who are criminals on the bench....piss a cop off bad enough and you will find yourself behind bars. That said, if you follow the advice in this video you should for the most part be o.k.

5. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

ya gotta make sure to remind them that you have rights or they take advantage of you. i have the right to observe you. but is that so in canada? any idea?

6. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

Why don't you contact copwatch online and they can maybe refer you to a local chapter near you? I know that different areas of the U.S. base their laws on different philosophy, like the State of Louisiana bases theirs on Napoleonic Law etc., so find out first.

7. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada

There should be a copwatch chapter in montreal. Cops abuse their power very often over there, especially the assholes from the Poste 21 they are well known for beating peoples (even in the police office, i know someone who used to live next to the police post and she saw a couple of time peoples being trained outside the post office in the back court and being beaten by polices)... If i recall correctly its also the asme assholes from the same post who killed Freddy Villanueva... And worst of all is that they are protected by the state and by the other policemen, you can't do anything against them and the pursuits always fail.... I could also tell you a couple of stories with where i was a victim of cops abusing their powers or stories from friends, there are so much to tell about those assholes... fuck them.... but seriously someone should start a cop watch chapter in montreal.... Back in the days Gadget from homeless nation was doing some copwatching but he was alone and i think he stopped

8. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

its tough though..you gotta be where things are going down. maybe they have police scanners goin to find out where things are goin down. once i get a phone i will record cop ecounters all the time...just need filming devise

9. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

10. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

of course leave it to the State to make it illegal to safeguard citizens against the State.....but hey we could always throw flowers at them and see if that works right? But on the other hand the State has every legal right to install millions upon millions of cameras and film us with no consent whatsoever in order to keep us 'safe', DISGUSTING.

11. rude-boy

Mar 12, 2010

aww punkmar u beat me to talking about big brother poppin up all around. if they said anythign while recording tell them to get over them selfs your not recording them your recording the ant that happend to be walking past the arrest hahaha

12. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

:lmao: good one

13. j3zrahhh

j3zrahhh Experienced Member Experienced member

May 25, 2010

man i wish we had cop watch here in oz...and i wish they were watching when i was arrested for "trespassing" the other day. i have bruises and all kinds of scratches and cuts, and i did everything they ordered me to do.

14. ghoul

ghoul Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

Start one.

15. DZA

DZA Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 30, 2010

Are there any videos like this which are relevant to English law?

16. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
  17. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Fuck.... That was disturbing. What was with the camera zooming away when the cop started beating him on the ground? Disgraceful.

18. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

I think it was probably a police operator not knowing what to do.....or a security guard, notice the pool of blood in the street when he yanks him up...

19. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

SPLC Files Suit Against Georgia Police Officers Who Beat Latino Man

The Southern Poverty Law Center, the National Immigration Project and civil rights attorney Brian Spears filed a federal civil rights lawsuit today against two Cobb County police officers over the stop, arrest and beating of an unarmed Latino man. They also joined the Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights (GLAHR) to call on the federal government to terminate the county's 287(g) agreement due to the civil rights abuses perpetuated by the program.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Angel Francisco Castro Torres, who was riding his bicycle in Smyrna when he was stopped by Cobb County police officers Jeremiah M. Lignitz and Brian J. Walraven. According to their own account, the officers, who are the named defendants in the complaint, stopped him after observing his race. The officers immediately demanded Castro's identification and questioned his immigration status. He was also beaten, resulting in a broken nose and eye socket, and arrested.

"This case is just the latest in a string that demonstrate that racial profiling is the standard mode of operation in Cobb County, Georgia," said Sam Brooke an attorney for the Southern Poverty Law Center. "The federal government must put an immediate stop to these civil rights abuses by ending this program."

The officers attempted to cover up the attack by transporting Castro to the Cobb County Jail, which has a 287(g) agreement that feeds arrested individuals into the federal immigration system.

Since July 2007, Cobb County has participated in the Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) 287(g) program, which authorizes local law enforcement to enforce federal immigration law.

In the first two years of implementing the program, nearly 6,500 suspected undocumented immigrants have been detained.

"The 287(g) program is a national disgrace," said Paromita Shah, associate director of the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild. "It is incomprehensible why the Obama administration continues to support and expand this fatally flawed program when dozens of reports demonstrate that the program creates a culture of unchecked police power that fosters discrimination and abuse."

Despite DHS's attempts to modify the program's guidelines last year in an "effort" to reduce racial profiling, a report released by the department's inspector general identified ongoing, alarming problems including, lack of communications, inadequate training and supervising of the local law enforcement members and few protections against racial profiling and other civil rights abuses.

After being held for four months, Castro was released last week when the two officers named in the lawsuit failed to appear at a hearing regarding the charges they brought against him. He required surgery to repair the damage to his eye.

"The discrimination and abuse that Mr. Castro suffered is far too common in Cobb and other 287(g) counties in the Atlanta area," said Adelina Nicholls, executive director of GLAHR. "We hear about and document similar abuses every day, but today is different, because we are standing with Mr. Castro and with SPLC and NIPNLG to fight back. We must end these abuses by ending this program."

In 2008, SPLC published a report, Under Siege: Life for Low-Income Latinos in the South, which documents systemic discrimination against Latinos in the region that constitutes a civil rights crisis that must be addressed. One of the examples of the injustices that confront Latino immigrants as they struggle to gain a foothold in the South is the use of these programs that cause widespread fear of the police by all immigrants and Latinos regardless of status.

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

20. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwWWgGjClw[/video]

See what I'm sayin'!

Follow this link back to youtube for countless other videos of police criminality.