Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Confess your consumerist ways...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SurgeryXdisaster, Dec 10, 2009.

1. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

hmm...let's see

- parents pay rent, utilities, and buy the majority of the food i consume....they're willing, so fuck it
    - i pay for school (government loans cover tuition..never gonna pay those motherfuckers back) including books, paper, writing utensils, food stuffs (mainly coffee and candy bars on campus)
    - bike, including complex repairs (truing wheels and such), new inertubes, greasing chains, etc.
    - wipe my ass with toilet paper...blow my nose with paper towel (i have bad sinuses....toilet paper doesn't cut it)
    - wear vans shoes...combat boots...levi jeans...random $5 shirts from cheap stores...other clothing from goodwill/thrift stores or stolen from random places
    - video games from Steam or gog.com (pc only, fuck console)
    - vinyl and CD's from momma-papa record stores, usually used...also buy at shows (along with pins, shirts, and patches)
    - eat out at resturants....i almost never eat fast food (sometimes i have no choice, considering i know nothing on dumpster diving)
    - cigarettes...i don't know about your areas, but in the OC Bugler's are only like $4...i suppose that's cheap for grits
    - lots of booze
    - bus and metrolink (when i don't feel like biking...it's hard on the crown jewels)
    - soap...even crusties need this once in a while

so as you can read, i'm punk as fuck (sarcasm)

2. lefthandyouth

lefthandyouth Member New Member

Dec 10, 2010

good thread, like a cleansing.

alot of my money goes to skateboarding shit. decks, wheels, bearings and grit. skating fucks up my shoes but a pretty strong adhesive and worn'd soles keep me in check. also beans and rice, flour, assorted veggies and fruits, inner tubes, lighters/matches, fucking water and toothpaste. i dont think buying weed counts as contributing to capitalism cuz most of the people i buy from rely on weed money to feed their family, even if the buds commuted from mexico or wherever.

3. BreNoxious

BreNoxious Member New Member

Dec 27, 2010

Most of my money is spent by the time I get it. It doesn't bother me though cause I pay for what I need don't need extra cash.

- diapers
    - baby clothes
    - milk, formula baby food
    - cigs ( rollies they taste better too less perservatives)
    -gas for my 1990 Toyota tercel. Don't spend more then 40 dollars in gas a month
    - veg food
    - storage unit cause until we move back to Florida we are stuck in a small bedroom with me Jack and the baby.
    - and if I can some beer and spice.
    - and more baby stuff lol

4. BreNoxious

BreNoxious Member New Member

Dec 27, 2010

I would like to add that pretty much everything I own for myself has either been given to me as a gift or retreived by the trash can.

- iPhone- a gift from my mother was referbished and there was an upgrade so it was sooper cheap. It's all cracked up now but I don't need to pay to get it fixed it still works fine.
    - tv, dock, cd player- Christmas, birthdays etcetera and nothing fancy
    - most clothes I have had for years and the newer ones gifts or hand-me-downs.

From my bed down to my alarm clock I am proud to say unless I absolutely need something I don't have it. I hold onto everything and take good care of what I do have. That's the key i think. Taking care of your things.

5. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I don't really buy much, food, music (records/cds/shows), movie rentals, booze and school.
    I work in a shitty corporate grocery store (stealing as much as I possibly can), but I buy the vast majority of my food from one of the two smaller indie grocery stores in town (that get most of their stock from local, indie companies/farmers) or from one of the 3 farmers' markets in the area. The music I get is either directly from the bands themselves, or from one of the 2 indie music stores in town (one of which, I help out at a couple times a week), and the movies I rent are from the indie video store I also work at (which is closing in 2 months. Fuuuuck Netflix), and the booze I get is from the indie brewery 10 minutes from my house.
    I've kinda lucked out, the city is actually 2 towns separated by 1 street, so there's 2 of pretty much everything.

I confess, occasionally, I'll buy something from a shit corporate department store, or the shithole I work in.

6. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

DirtyRottenThrashPunk Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2010

Well, since I still live with my parents, most of my money goes to stuff from crustpunks.com and AYP (shirts, patches, etc), but I also buy a fair amount of cheap coffee and potato chips from Cumberland Farms....yeah, kinda bad, but at least it isn't Hess or anything, and I buy store brand chips not Lays or whatever. I also (indirectly) buy stuff like booze and tobacco sometimes, when I hit 18 I'll probably end up smoking a shitload of Black & Milds and Shisha, and if I end up with a consistent source of booze before 21 (and certainly when I'm 21 myself) I'll probably end up drinking waaay too much, but, as I do now, I'll avoid the really big brands and shit...

7. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

parents pay for utilities because i still live at home

being vegetarian i pay for my own food, get some good deals from hole in the wall vegan grocery shops

i use my clothes for very long periods of time, meaning i don't spent much on clothes, i use to buy shirts from shows, but Ive started making my own using freezer paper stencils.

Dont smoke, Dont Drink, so that cuts costs :lmao: although im not down with the crew, dont claim edge

The only thing i do buy is art supplies, paints, papers, brushes.....that cost some money

ummm sometimes gasoline if i use the car, although i bike locally

and i was a gamer, so years ago id spent some heavy cash on video games :ecouteurs:

but i realized what a waste of hard earned cash that was!

of course music, although i go to underground distros, Mass Media Records!!! in costa mesa is awesome!

8. fuck_stupid_names

fuck_stupid_names New Member New Member

Jan 4, 2011

i just wandered on here, while i was downloading shit for my computer..and it seems that most of you are still in high school, or mom and dad are supporting you. please don't take offense, i mean if anyone knows about stupid life choices and ways to fuck up it's me. i mean, 23 nearly 24 and just finished my aa in poli sci. but if mom and dad support you, then gov'ment loans are unavailable, trust me...our house is being foreclosed on and i'm still "too well off" because of inheritance. but yeah, um...maybe i'm just jealous cause my 'rents have no cash to support me and i've been working since i was 15, and two jobs plus school since i was 18 to pay for college. oh and just so you high schoolers know....any "private" university that says "here's a scholarship for being intelligent and keeping your eye on the ball" or in my case graduating at 15, is lying. they did that to me and now i'm in debt 20 K to NSU..bastards. oh and travel while your young. that's why it took so long for my degree, cause i was in cali, michigan, nc, germany, belgium, denmark, france, and now miami, this was all before i was 21. i get bored easily. as you can see from this post, i have a.d.d., haha partly from lack of smoke and partly from my scrip for oxy's. oh and if you're abusing pain meds, you might actually be physically hurt...cause i went to rehab and the methadone clinic for bootin up...and then finally a doc got some m.r.i.'s and i'm not an addict, i really did hurt myself he-he. so yeah get checked, cause skankin and circle pits can fuck your ass up...i guess it's probably cause i'm so damn little, 5'4 96lbs. oh well, done ranting.
    the point of this is....go out and do something, i'm taking a bus to ny to see the adicts for my b-day...be spontaneous, reckless, impulsive. and also, money you realize how evil and fucked up everything is, when you actually have to go out and work for it...which f-in sucks by the way.
    stop having mommy and daddy support you, and pave your own way. make your life grand by doing what ever it is that you want.
    except if your gonna be a doctor or a lawyer, don't take advantage of people like those damn pill-pusher "pain" clinics, or public defenders and district attorneys. do something worthwhile, that you love, and that you feel will help to make a difference..
    oh and as a girl i can say this with no remorse, girl's have no sense of direction and are easily distracted by shiny rocks.....that's why most of us are dumb as dirt. if a girl is mad at you, give her a shiny rock or sequence or glittery shit and she'll be happy again. trust me, try it. that's why women like diamonds *most women, that is*, smart ones will hold out for electronics he-he...but dumb ones want rocks...shiny freakin rocks...
    oh well, i guess my sex is just doomed...
    peace
    Jes

9. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Nothing. I'm so anarchist, I defy the laws of gravity :)

But really, I can't think of much.

I still live with parents, but I try not to cost them that much money.
    I pay for school, that is, when I actually go.
    I think what I probably spend the most on is vegan food, when I'm too lazy to cook it myself.
    Beer is probably my biggest downfall, and cigarettes, but I'm quiting that shit soon.

10. Caps

Caps Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

Booze is definitely my worst point. I reckon at least half the money I spend is on getting wasted. I just have piss-poor self-control. Still, being hospital-bound at the moment has seriously slowed me from pissing my cash up the wall. Besides that, I buy a lot of books and a fair few CDs. My main source is amazon, I'm ashamed to say. Should start going directly through the labels. Only other guilty consumer good is my laptop. It was a gift but it's still a big, gratuitously expensive fucker.

Threads like this really make me feel dirty. New year resolution: consume less, consume better? Sounds good to me.

11. (Filipe)

(Filipe) Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 4, 2010

lol , this topic look like a religious thing , like confess your sins now and you will be forgiven!

anyways , i have:

-laptop
    -Creative (mp3)
    -eastpak bag (xmas present)

I don't have a cellphone! :D

And i think that's all

12. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

:ecouteurs:

13. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

Nov 11, 2010

Oh and I also have a iPod, laptop, and computer, but I didn't/don't pay for them..

14. lefthandyouth

lefthandyouth Member New Member

Dec 10, 2010

haha, its funny cuz its true

15. fuck_stupid_names

Jan 4, 2011

Honestly, I think everyone, no matter where you go is a consumer of something. you can't escape it. you can do what my dad did and live on a commune, but even then they still bought booze. oh and there was a dude that was in charge, who was there form of a charismatic leader. but yeah, unless you delete your electronic foot print and drop off the grid completely, i don't think you will be able to escape commercial consumer products. but hey, living in the woods off the land is fun. and you can't get in trouble for growing and doing drugs unless infra-red helicopters find you..but there's so much land here and in canada that it's probability of likeliness goes way down statistically speaking.

16. fuck_stupid_names

Jan 4, 2011

oh and did some guy seriously quote my whole first rant and then give a "thumbs down" smile thingy? um...use your inner jiminy cricket and come up with opinions of your own...don't just "quote" someone and say you disagree with it, without explaining why you feel the need to differ from their thoughts. it's like saying "cops suck" without elaborating. how do you know they suck? cause someone told you they do? or because you have had personal experiences with their abuse of power and douche-baggery? come on now..open up your eyes and expand your mind..don't just say "um..no...but i don't know why" no offense but that seems like a super stupid thing to do. anyway...the adolescents are coming and so are the queers! i'm stoked! and kinda stoned...heh
    oh and everyone should try and download some "so fla..so good..so what" compilations. we've had and have some good bands in miami! except that folky shit band that fruit-boots (i mean roller blades) around gainesville. can't remember their name but i know they suck. fuck folk punk..damn hippies ruin everything (oh and i know this cause my parents are damn hippies and they have grabby hands and sticky fingers when it comes my shit, like cd's, drugs, and clothes i've made).
    peace
    jes

17. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Is this your version of a homophobic colloquialism?

Way to enter a forum whose members you know nothing about, keep it going you're doing great so far.

:lmao:

18. DimKnight

DimKnight New Member New Member

Jan 5, 2011

I omly read the first page, not going through four or more.
    Nothing wrong with using tech in an anarchist world.
    I dont believe in anarchy, but I dont believe in govermentatl society either.
    I am a punk, a goth, a rebel, and at the same time, I am none of that.
    Anarchy started as a punk movement, rebeling against the mainstream that determines who is an outsider.
    Punk in now mainstream, there is nor more underground.
    It is popular to be a rebelo, bu honestly who gives a shit.
    Those that are "rebels" dont care if there are poser, and rebles dont care, be cuase thats what they are.
    But Im gettinf off topic.
    Anarchy isnt against technology or consumerism.
    Even before goverments there where merchants that sold goods for a cow or pig or women.
    Even the punk that spawned the anrchist subcluture spawned another that is based of recycling tech.
    Steampunk, and yet another based on advecning tech, Cyberpunk.
    So you prblem isnt that you buy things, its that you feel buy things helps the goverment, that you rebel agaisnt.
    But it only helps those that produce the stuff oyu buy, only a marginal amount that is the taxes goes to the goverment which is then put into the system for road repairs construction charities, homless shelter, etc. so thusly supporting the goverment is supporting the ways of free living or living with the trivialities that oyu feel guilty about buying.
    I live free, always have from place to place shelter to shelter, and not buy choice.
    The goverment helps me, so I dont mind helping it, this anti goverment idealiism is good for goverments that suppress your right to be mainstream or not.
    When we rebelled agaisnt the english we where outcasts, but where able to decide our own fate, that is still this country, we decide how or where we want to live, who we want to be, and what we are. that is the essence of anarchy no?
    To be free, your are free, so choose to be free instead of rebelling agaisnt oyur freedom in the name of freedom.

Sorry, havent been on a forum in a long time, guess I needed to rant.
    Thanks for hearing me out, and now to the replies/insultations.
    At least make them somewhat intelligent.

19. DirtyRottenThrashPunk

Nov 11, 2010

A lot was wrong in your post (as well as plenty of stuff I agree with), but these two are the worst. Anarchy is a lot older than Punk, and yeah, there's a lot of mainstream, fake Punk, but there's still a goddamn underground, shit entire sungenres of Punk remain pretty underground...

20. JackNegativity

JackNegativity Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 9, 2010

Well, I figured it was better to :ecouteurs: than waste the energy that it takes to point out everything retarded (no offence to the legit mentally challenged out there) about your post.

Here's a few key points. I'll keep it simple so you can follow:

1. Fuck you and your high horse. Maybe some pople's parents actually like them.
    2. Way to be a complete fucking sexist--ON AN ANARCHIST MESSAGE BOARD! Got any racial jokes to throw at us next?
    3. Nice homophobia in your next post, re-read #2.
    4. Defend the cops. Awesome.
    5. Second post, as rambling and full of utter nonsense as the first. 2 for 2.
    6. Hippies don't ruin evrything, people like you do. Why are you here when, as you said, you could be off playing with some shiny rocks or some shit.

Welcome to APN. Either get smart or bounce.