Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Black Friday A Perfect Example Of Consumerism In The United States!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlos, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

So today is Black Friday, a day in which people wait in the freezing cold, outside of stores in order to be the first ones through the door at 3am!
    There was even a Wal-Mart employ who was trampled to death during last years shopping extravaganza :(
    This just makes me sick, when i hear about those people who camp out in front of stores to save some money on a fancy t.v.

Black Friday is Consumerism at its worse.

good thing theres still some sane people.. hahah..Buy Nothing Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day

2. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

black flag friday...burn down a walmart...

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
  4. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    two years ago:

5. Pseudo_Minds

Pseudo_Minds Member Forum Member

Apr 16, 2010

Not only is it a a perfect example of consumerism but also a perfect example of how "hype" is one of the main forces behind much consumerism

6. Carlos

Carlos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 1, 2010

and thats all it is "hype"...
    i mean ive never gone shopping on black friday, so im not sure if they really are giving away cheap stuff, but i doubt it. Its a bunch of bull

7. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

Can somebody please explain what Black Friday is? Not familiar with that name.

8. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

I get sick everytime I read about that worker getting trampled, and I've read about it about twice by now. Fucking disgusting.

And yeah, at least there's Buy Nothing day.

On the bright side though, there's probably no better time to completely demolish a place like Walmart than during Black Friday. I mean, can you think of any easier way to send a throng of people into a fanatical state than riling up a crowd of shoppers at 5 in the morning? Perhaps dressed as Walmart employees or something to announce that the first 25 people get a free "X"? Can you imagine the effect of just one molotov cocktail inside about 15 seconds after the doors open at 6am? And the risk of getting caught is practically non-existent.
    I can't think it would take that much effort to turn Black Friday into a catastrophe on at least some level.

9. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in America when stores lower their prices to a super low level so everyone goes out and shops with inhuman ferver. People camp outside stores in the freezing cold in the wee hours of the morning, shoppers and workers alike are crushed against floors, walls, each other. It's basically the embodiment of consumerism.

10. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

Ahh this is just like the Boxing day and New Years sales in Australia. Everything is lowered in price and people think they are getting a bargin, forget the fact that they've been getting ripped off at 600% mark-up for the rest of the year!

11. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Ahh yes, the Boxing day sales. People get injured all the time with that shit, I remember hearing on the news someone lost a finger a couple of years ago. That Wal-Mart story of the guy trampled to death is just sickening. Who the fuck would run over some guy to get a fucking discount off something? Fucking disgusting. So much anger right now, fucking hell. I hope anyone who was directly a part of that mans death received nothing but misery after that event.

12. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

Thank Punk for my humble and safe 2nd hand- and fleamarket existance...
    Reading the reports I somehow can't believe it - stampede means the brainless flight of herding mammals? :ecouteurs:
    I'm sure living in this kind of desperation must be hell each day.

13. Protspecd

Protspecd Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 3, 2010

Good call!

14. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

But his poor old mom is really distressed by his heavenly flea market looks... :o

But serious: Even if german sale-battles are still much more civilized and disciplined I am really happy that we completely boycott the rip off department store chains - this manipulation of the braindeath is more than disgusting. :ecouteurs:

15. Ferago

Ferago Active Member Forum Member

Feb 15, 2010

Black Friday is such a revolting spectacle, I'm glad it hasn't caught on here yet. I can't imagine a sadder death than being trampled to death at a walmart fighting over a cheap dvd player.

So did anyone get killed this year? All I heard about was some family that started camping out in front of best buy a week in advance...For fucks sake, surely a day or two would have sufficed, why a whole week??

16. Corporate Deathburger

Corporate Deathburger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 29, 2010

People care less and less about the gift of life each day. Wether it be through animal consumption or murder for a higher stake in society's rankings in the goal for material wealth.

What a shame. Discounts mean more than life.