Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Betrayal - A Critical Analysis of Rape Culture in Anarchist Subcultures

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by SurgeryXdisaster, Feb 19, 2013.

1. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I've returned to share one of the most important zines I've ever read

[​IMG]

You can read it in pdf. format here:
    zinelibrary.info/betrayal-critical-analysis-rape-culture-anarchist-subcultures

"It would seem that throughout the anarchist milieu,
    wherever you turn, there is a community being ravaged by rape, by sexual
    assault, and by abuse. These cycles are neither new nor unique to anarchists.
    At first glance it seems surprising that our communities find themselves at
    least as vulnerable as any other to interpersonal violence. After all, don’t we
    begin from the starting point of opposition to domination, without which
    interpersonal violence could not exist? And yet, the one thing that ties these
    communities together, a supposed shared politics or political analysis, is
    often the weakest point in anarchist responses to interpersonal violence.
    Despite being a community which is explicitly political in nature, anarchists
    often depoliticize interpersonal violence and divorce it from its roots in
    systemic power. For instance, the need for good consent practices becomes
    confused with the belief that informing people about consent will transform
    our communities, as though rape were the result of ignorance and
    misinformation, rather than deeply entrenched structures of power.
    Strategies that anarchists have adopted, such as the accountability
    process, more often than not fail to a address the interpersonal violence in
    our midst."

2. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

"The obvious apologists, the goons who say “slut” like it’s a bad
    thing and think the perpetrator is the victim, don’t do nearly as much to
    further normalization as their more subtle accomplices, the ones who
    maintain complete silence on the subject."

This.

3. Harrison

Nov 11, 2009

Also thank you for posting. This zine is awesome.

4. Harrison

Nov 11, 2009

I wish this was discussed more. I know it's super taboo to talk about and I've really only known a few anarchists who've gone out of their way to address it. But it's a huge issue. I reckon people don't often think about how "avoiding drama" or thinking that one isn't in a place to say something builds rape culture. And how subtle avoidance of empowers perpetrators just as much as blaming the survivor.

5. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Yes. This. ^^^

The fact that it is "taboo" is a crying shame, especially within the anarchist culture. I posted this here in hopes of opening a discussion about this issue... In the Chicago punk scene I've known of people who have claimed to be anarchist, but the fucking scum throw away all they may think they now about equality and rape women. If i knew their names I would share, but there seems to be a dividing line between people who call them out and the people who say; "I don't want to be THAT GUY who brings up the fact that this "punk" raped someone."

IT IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

It's also bullshit how it's "ok" for people to make rape jokes, but when I tell people I'm a feminist I am alienated from these so called punks.

Freedom of speech my ass. Making rape jokes that could trigger PTSD or calling someone a faggot for being gay (that is, if they don't self-identify that way) IS NOT A HUMAN FUCKING RIGHT.

6. Harrison

Nov 11, 2009

Totally. I remember Jezebel ran an article a while ago actually saying it was ok for Tosh to tell rape jokes on tv. That's about when I decided Jezebel is actually just full of shit mostly. I don't associate with people that make rape jokes. Any punk who does or blatantly perpetuates rape culture needs to be stomped IMO.

Also I think we should totally share the names of 'anarchist' rapists and be vigilant in exposing them. I don't think I know any, or perhaps I do but don't know it. But if I find out that I do I will most assuredly post their name and location, which I think anyone should do.

7. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico