Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Best Books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dwtcos, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Oh, and re-reading Web of Hate by Warren Kinsella. A book about white power (*spits on the floor*) groups in Canada.
    Kind of unsettling how many times he mentions Kitchener, the town where I live..

2. SenI

SenI Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 4, 2009
     Russian Federation
    Well, something many people this a the topic and not responded and advised to me on my question. OK, hell with you.

Last time I reading the novel "Watership Down" by Richard Adams. Very great and interesting book.

3. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

You are officially my favorite.

I'm about a third of the way through this myself, but I got sidetracked by Operation Bite Back, a new biography about Rod Coronado.

4. xOutspokenx

xOutspokenx Active Member Forum Member

Mar 7, 2010

Have to read "Christ stopped at Eboli" by Carlo Levi for university, but at the local anarchist bookshop I volounteer in they have this book "Sober living for the revolution: Hardcore punk, Straight Edge and radical politics" by Gabriel Kuhn so I read that when I am there.

Once I am done with both I'll start reading "Trapped in a scene" by Ian Glasper.

5. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Today I decided to go all environmental and spent 50$ of my birthday money on the books: Walden and Other Writings, Ishmael, Watership Down, and The Plague Dogs. Once I'm done reading The Plague Dogs I'm going to write an anti-animal "research" sonnet for my humanities class that I'll probably post up here.

6. CrustyElmo666

CrustyElmo666 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Oct 12, 2009

That is a nice list right there dwtcos!

Right now i'm in the middle of reading Watchmen, not knowing a thing about it me not being into comic books whatsoever and after having it recommended to me from all sides finally getting a borrowed copy from my cousins who are really deep in to that whole comic book thing the same weekend I went with them to San Francisco Wonder Comic Con (my first ...now that's a wholenuther story) And well I guess it has the potential to be a pretty nifty medium but what always seems to get me is all the pro-americanism that always seems so prevalent, and i'm sure there's lots of worthwhile stuff out there... Like this one, i'm only half way through but what I realy love is how textured the writing is and how objective a look at humanity the storytelling seems to be shooting for, I'm not sure where it's gonna go yet, but so far it seems like a denunciation of the myth of the superhero, a dissection of the institution albeit fictional , but comparable in many ways to government... I hope thats the direction it continues in. The writer Alan Moore I think Is an Anarchist isn't he? also wrote V For Vendetta which I will most likely read next....

7. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Just finished reading Benjamin Franks' 'Rebel Alliances: The means and ends of Contemporary British Anarchism', it is seriously the best thing I've read in years. A methodical study of Class Struggle Anarchism (its so sad one has to identify as a Class Struggle Anarchist, rather than just a Anarchist, no class analysis= not an Anarchist).

Also rereading 'The Beast Reawakens' by Martin Lee, a study of the fallout of the Nazi party, how de-nazification never took place, instead many high ranking third reich officials got new jobs in the US and USSR secret service, etc, etc, in essence leaving the room for the resurgence in neo-Nazi organising post-Cold War. Great Read.

Just started 'What is Communism' by JA Andrews, fantastic from my perspective, as is an 1889 text written by an early member of the Melbourne (Australia) Anarchist Club, of which i'm currently a member.

'Black Flame' also fucking rules

8. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

I haven't stopped reading Ishmael all day, even for food or urination, and I can already say in confidence that this is one of the best books I've read in my admittedly short and unimportant existence. NGNM85 needs to read it if he hasn't.

9. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I started to read it in high school, never finished it, I had too much else on my plate. Might've been during my Nietzsche phase. I'll get back to it, eventually.

10. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

You really should. I don't have anything against you or something like that and in fact find most of every thing you say to be a healthy dose of opposing viewpoints (which I always like). I just feel like it would be a healthy dose of biocentrism for you is all :D

11. lax_punk_sneakz

lax_punk_sneakz Active Member Forum Member

Sep 21, 2009

I am reading 'lies my teacher told me' by james w. loewen... everything my american history textbook got wrong.
    so far, so good...

12. ILuvEire

ILuvEire Experienced Member Experienced member

Apr 5, 2010

I'm reading "The Rights of Man" by Thomas Paine. I bought it in a set, with "Reflections on the Revolution in France" by Edmund Burke. Burke criticizes the revolution, then Paine goes through and takes his argument apart point by point, then talks about how men have intrinsic rights that no government should ever be able to touch.

I adore the French Revolution, and Thomas Paine has a very anarchist view on the whole thing. SUPER interesting, plus historically relevant.

13. nodz

nodz Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 4, 2010

What are you currently reading?

What are you currently reading/re-reading.

I have several books on the go at any one time, I pick them up and read a chapter and then move onto something else. Current books on the go are:
    1) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K.Rowling
    2) Anarchism and Other Essays - Emma Goldman
    3) A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    4) Mythic Astrology - Ariel Guttman

Just finshed
    1) At the Cafe - Errico Malatesta
    2) The Anarchist Revolution - Errico Malatesta

Just Received a copy in the post of
    1) God and the State - Mikhail Bakunin

14. Libero-mente

Libero-mente Active Member Forum Member

Dec 24, 2009

Re: What are you currently reading?

Why a Harry Potter book may I ask, alittle bit of light reading?

15. j3zrahhh

j3zrahhh Experienced Member Experienced member

May 25, 2010

I just finished reading The Catcher In The Rye (i'm still confused on how that book was tied to the assassination of John Lennon or the attempted assassination of Reagen) and last week i finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird. I've started reading Harp In The South or some shit by an Australian author. i'm sure at one point or another everyone was forced to read these at school...but managed to find away to complete the assignments without having to read the book....classics, excellent now i'm out of highschool.

16. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

Sorry guys but this thread already exists.....it does so I merged it.

Currently reading: Bury my heart at wounded knee

17. metalpunx

metalpunx Active Member Forum Member

May 26, 2010

Re: What are you reading or what books would you recommend?

Last thing I read was "The Undiscovered Self" by Carl Jung. Real nice little book.

18. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I read that book, i was kind of forced to at first but it grew on me

19. ghoul

ghoul Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A Salvatore. For being complete nerd shit it is surprisingly good. It has a lot to do with racism and going against the group when it is the right thing to do, even if you will be persecuted for it.

20. kaoskat

kaoskat Active Member Forum Member

Nov 16, 2009

The User's Guide to the Universe by Dave Goldberg and Jeff Blomquist, yes, it's a physics book, yes I'm saying read it anyway, you won't be sorry.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, which I've been meaning to read forever. It's a geographic-based view of the development of civilizations.

I've finished Destiny Disrupted, by Tamim Ansary. I got taught world history (the little of it we get taught, anyway) thru a Western mindset, with all it's ideas, its racist/classist/sexist/pro-colonist viewpoints. there's the Eastern view, this is the Middle World (Islamic) view, because these things are important to know. It's a good book actually, very readable, very wry; the writer is very aware of the shortcomings and there's a lot of stuff in there's that's genuinely heart-breaking and wince-worthy, and I followed that up with The Taqwacores, which is the book accused of kicking off the Muslim punk scene. Not my thing, 'cause I'm not a Muslim, but it's a good book, it asks a lot of questions. It's pretty fucking intense.

And I'm re-reading my Kropotkin, because I like re-visting stuff. Some Goodman, too. Okay, actually I'm supposed to be writing, and I went to look up a quote online to make sure I got it right, and now I'm just procrastinating. :D But re-visting is good.