Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Arrest at Anti-NATO protest in Belgrade

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by JoeyV, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JoeyV

JoeyV Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 23, 2010

Protest name: Anti – NATO campaign
    Location: Belgrade, Sava Centar, conference and cultural center
    Date and Start Time: 12th June at 18 p.m.
    Fight against: The biggest strategic NATO Conference planned to be held in Belgrade; from 13th June till 15th June.

Protest was peaceful, with two hundred of Belgrade citizens where present. Protesters were surrounded with several hundred police officers.

For now we can announce for sure that at least seven, peaceful and nonviolent demonstrators were arrested. As far as we know two of them are being held in police station “29. November” (street address Despota Stefana 29), rest of them are at New Belgrade (Novi Beograd) police station.

Police department refuse to give us any kind of information about the arrested, the only information have been provided by lawyer – State and police intend to go for an instant judge and to accuse them for “Obstruction of an official in discharge of duties” and for “Disturbing public order and safety”. Which would mean that arrested would not have even opportunity to have fair trial, they won’t be able to show any evidence material in their defense. In other words any video footage and photos of arrest on which it is very clear that there was no interference in duties of members of police order and any kind of violent behavior. As situation can’t be much worse than this; They even won’t be able to call witnesses to make a statement in their defense, who would clearly state that their were not any violent or aggressive behavior.

To have a view on a protest photos please visit following link:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ne%C4%87e ... 09448222...

Less than 30 minutes ago parents and friends of the arrested visited building of television station B92, as next logical solution in a search for any information about their childes and beloved ones. They hoped to get same info or even made announcement for the press, but their were just ejected from the building by police; not security; and police forces told them that they have nothing to do hear and anything to ask for.

When we have new information we will notify you,
    In the meantime, we invite you to help us by informing international the media, or by helping in some other way.

Regards,
    Anti-NATO campaign

2. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Saw that. The thing you didn't mention is that NATO bombarded Belgrade in 1999. and now they are accepting Serbia as their new member. Funny how things change. Anyway, most of the Serbs are against NATO becouse of the bombings, and there will be ( I hope ) a stronger resistence to the membership of NATO. As one guy said in the video on the site mention above, NATO is nothing else but modern-facism.

3. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

I just returned home, got rejected at the border - undesirable foreigner they called me - along with ten others from germuney and austria, seems like the serbic cops were serious about it...
    From the more liberal news:
    http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article ... ato-summit

And some of our less inspired "comrades":
    http://www.newser.com/article/d9nqvl0o0 ... grade.html

So it wasn't that bad at all, guess we missed the "good" protesters...

4. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Funny how most of the protests seem to be coming from the most fascistic ultra-nationalists in Serbia.

5. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

There is still a strong pan-slavistic tendency, especially within the nationalist movement, more orientated at russia and the tradition of mutual support between russia and serbia - and with poland and croatia already nato-members it's getting a bit too tight too much for the russian security interests, it's a bit like Mexico becoming "red" - front gardens are always strange places...
    If serbia joins the nato instead remaining neutral it could be seen as a further destabilisation of the weak relaxation process between east and west europe, the russians won't like it, especially not if they have to deal with their ongoing inner crisis at the same time they can't hold their old allies in line.
    After poland joined, putin "continued" some ICBM-programs just for propaganda of a "strong" russia - I wonder what they will come up with if the serbs get caught too...

6. Pankucnik

Pankucnik Experienced Member Experienced member

Jun 4, 2010

Because our entire left-wing is full of movements caring only about self-promotion, and following their ideology blindly, rather than being united, and doing something useful. If one movement starts a project, all the others will rush to claim it as their own, and if they don't succeed, they will do whatever they can to disrupt it. And even if we manage to do something, it is ignored by the media, since it does not involve trashing half of the city.

So while we are at it, I seek advice. What can one do, in a city without a valid movement I could be a part of, knowing that even if I start something out, some communists or something will come and claim it for themselves? On the positive side, at least I often meet individuals who are positive and possible to cooperate with...

7. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Pissed with the actual circumstances around here - green "party" idiots singing the praises of the "next" date (2022) for the germun nuclear withdrawal but keeping their big mouths sewn shut about the next food-production scandal (36 people in northern germuney died because EHEC-infection spread by a eco-farming-company) I think that thats the best way to achieve something:
    Gather Individuals, evade professional big mouths and career junkies, try to deal with local issues people can identify with and draw a serious personal connection to. Evade party-like structures - no chairmen, no charta - and don't forget about the social aspects of soccer-/football playing, neighborhood fests and other opportunities to bring people together - you never have to be part of a movement, as long as you're moving yourself...

8. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

Do you think you can make a difference without others ?

9. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

I didn't mean "without others" - but if a movement means that you have to play the games of greedy and fame-/powerhungry individuals taking over your energy and using it for themselves, something quite different is necessary. Again, I think this
    may make a good start for something like a movement without the teething illnesses of parties and "movements" as we know them. If many move at the same time...