Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Arming yourself for the Zombie Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by butcher, Jun 1, 2010.

1. ghoul

ghoul Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2010

You are partially right here. Fortresses for the most part are shit. Once they notice you they will not leave. It will be like a castle siege from the old days. You will be trapped and you will run out of food and water. They can wait you out, they don't need food or water.

You are right that they will, given enough time, break any barricade you set up. This includes basement doors. If they get in you have no way out. Instead if you must hide out in a house choose an attic. Preferable one with a pull down access. Zombies are not smart enough to use a ladder. You also can break out through the roof if necessary. This is precisely what people did during Katrina.

2. Wooly

Wooly Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 24, 2010

Definitely with you on the face protection, and ill go back on my point on Biker leathers. Those things are designed to be incredibly hard to tear, so if you were wearing leather pants and jacket, combined with possibly a motorbike helmet, or even a gas mask (I have me one of those). One drawback with leather is that is can be restrictive, and it does not breathe at all. Perhaps Kevlar jeans (Also designed for bikers) would breathe better?

3. ghoul

May 16, 2010

The only reason you'd want armor is if you are going up against humans. Then kevlar is the way to go. Against Z's stick with mobility.

A martial art would be more useful I think. Something that focuses on throws and breaking grapples. Krav Maga, Judo, or the martial art I learned Taijutsu. Krav Maga is grreat for dealing with multiple opponents and Judo is best for countering grapples. I learned Taijutsu because it is one of the best all around forms. It relies more on foot work and body movement/positioning. Not a bad thing to learn for every day self defense and it's great exercise. Avoid Karate and Tae Kwon Do as these are purely for sport and are not actual combat systems.

4. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

Ghoul:
    You might be right on the basement - once you're out of ammo you're screwed.

But martial arts? I've done quite a lot of Jiu-Jitsu myself, but i doubt i'll work. I mean, how are you gonna lock a zombies, that doesn't feel pain? It will continue, even if you have it's arm locked.
    Also, if you try throwing it - sure, it might fall down, but without the pain and the locks, i'll get back up. would only work on really rotten zombies.
    It's good exercise, great for learning to get away, but many things, like parkour or kung fu can be used for that too

5. ghoul

May 16, 2010

The martial arts is only (against zombies) for escape. You are exactly right that locks will do nothing. It is only good for escaping their grasp. That is why I do not suggest other forms that focus on striking. This will do nothing against zombies.
    More important than ammo is food and water.

6. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    i cant believe this stupid topic has 23 posts already :p

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I can, par for the course........

8. ghoul

May 16, 2010

Yeah it's stupid but it's amusing.

9. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Whatever, just don't come crying to my anarchist militia for help when the zombie apocalypse comes.

10. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

Ghoul:
    I was thinking in the event of an attack - once you've fired all your shots, where are you gonna run?

And well... Topics like this prevents it from becoming too serious :) I like it.

11. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

What good would punching a zombie do? It's already dead so it won't feel pain. Now using a camel clutch on a zombie is the way to go...

12. ghoul

May 16, 2010

I'd head out well before I fired my last shot. I'd to toward the mountains. I've got a good deal of experience in wilderness survival and would do ok there. If they are the shambling variety I think that type of terrain would be ideal. I think they would have difficulties climbing.

Overall your best bet is to leave population centers. On foot or a bike. Cars will get caught up in traffic jams and eventually will run out of fuel.

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/
    also check out "The Zombie Survival Guide" hilarious and informative. World War Z is good too, especially the audio book version. It has a full cast including people like Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins, and Alan Alda. Really well done.

13. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

I'd just choose pikachu, and the job would be done. Zombies aint got shit on pokemon.

14. ghoul

May 16, 2010

Squirtle FTW!!!

15. Shuei

Jan 19, 2010

I should get to read world war Z, i've heard it should be good :p

16. Seamus

Seamus New Member New Member

Jun 4, 2010

What a load of rubbish! Bladed weapons may be quick, but there's a really good chance they'll get stuck in a zombie, leaving you defenseless. You need something heavy and blunt to smash the skull. Rathryn raises an interesting idea with an axe, as it has many uses in a survival situation. But a hatchet is too short, and there's always the blade issue. I'll go with a sledgehammer.

It was ghoul who suggested the use of a hatchet, and further evidence leads me to believe he won't last long.

Some good escape tactics here, but not a thorough evaluation of defense. A good fortress, aggressively and confidently defended, is impervious to any attacker. It generally only succumbs to disease (good quarantine practices needed during the zombie apocalypse) or hunger, as you point out. But hunger is no reason to avoid fortifying. If you have sufficient supplies for a long siege and have some expectation that relief is on the way (though the records tell us it is usually by the forces of state and hierarchy!) a fortress is the best place to be. In an extreme disaster, a fortress makes a good base of operation for training, stockpiling supplies (can't do this if you're on the move) or launching raids. There is no hard and fast rule about whether you should fortify: material conditions!

Regarding firearms, it again depends on circumstances. In tight quarters, a shotgun. If you have a decent position and plenty of space, any decent hunting rifle. But if you've prepared a defensive position, then a heavy machine gun (.50 calibre, thank you!) can cut down swathes of zombies. You can also adopt U.S. military doctrine in using machine guns to create "dead zones" (no puns intended), sheepherding the enemy into a tight corridor of advance which you can hit with molotovs.

Really, before we can innovate a truly effective p.a.z. we have to nail down what we mean by zombie apocalypse. We cannot discuss these issues in the abstract. Are we talking about a localised disturbance, which will only last a few days before it is quarantined (night of the living dead)? Or are we talking about an international systemic meltdown (28 weeks later)? In the case of the first, our real enemy isn't the zombies, but the forces of the state that will attempt to impose law and order after the disturbance. In the latter, then we have to start thinking about post-apocalyptic living, which extends to far more than how to survive a short firefight or melee.

Amateurs.

17. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Kyokushin and Ashira, mate... seriously do your homework... I hate remarks like that.
    Also Tang Soo Do (on which TKD is based) is far more 'effective' in fights. Another good option would be a GOOD JKD instructor, CQB or even Muay Boran (old-school Muay Thai, including joint manipulation and 'death strikes').

@Seamus: small rocks with water in a cloth can sharpen a blade pretty effectively. Get a small rock and a 'hammer' rock, with which to smash the small rock to itsy bitsy pieces (almost to a watery paste). The grit in the paste will then 'eat' away at the edge until it is sharp again. Sledgehammers are hard to handle, as they are designed to STOP at impact. However they are NOT designed to be used for moving targets, also the weight is an issue, I suggest a quarterstaff type weapon with leather wraps fastened for added 'traction'.

@Whoever mentioned later NOT breathing: leather actually DOES breath and thin leather gloves (which are still pretty tear resistant, usually the seams give way) do NOT require manual dexterity too much. The problem is that the thickness of the leather can decrease the 'air flow' or 'breathing' ability of the leather. Also a good idea would be to use army surplus material (which should be readily available, everyone knows the army will get its ass kicked).

@Martial arts for incapacitating zombies: I would say you'd WANT striking arts over grappling arts. Grappling arts mean you need to get in close... like close enough to be BITTEN. Instead focus on strikes that immediately destroy joints etc. Safety boots with iron in the soles is a good bet, steel-toed boots will also get the job done. For extra damage you could also just add another layer of metal on the OUTSIDE with duct-tape or something similar. Disabling joints WILL incapacitate zombies for the simple reason that the joints does NOT function anymore.

@Hatchet being too short: this actually makes it easier to handle, the longer the handle the harder it is to stop or redirect the attack once you've committed to it, not a good thing with moving targets.

@swords and blunting: katanas are over-rated. A good WWII bayonet will set you back about 50 Euro's over here (which should be about the same in US$), sharpening it can be done with the above method. And bayonets have already proven their usefullness.

@Martial arts skills: you do NOT have to have any martial arts experience to destroy a body. All you need is some basic biomechanical and anatomical knowledge (the working of joints and attachments of muscles and tendons for example). What also would help is knowing the location of chi-points, these are often associated with large nerve clusters (which would be useless against zombies) OR with weaknesses of the human body (i.e. just above the ribcage and just below the throat is a point where there is NO muscle, it's a slight dip; kicking hard just above the knee will basically make it bend the wrong way). Remember that to break a joint you need 2 things: 1 point of fixation to make sure the joint doesn't move around too much and 2 sufficient force in a direction to overextend it.

There... any other fighting tips you people need? :p

18. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

I enjoy this thread, but non of this information should be taken for granted as a lot is just wrong. I say a good shovel is the way to go...

19. ghoul

May 16, 2010

I guess I was only speaking for the US. Tae Kwon Do and Karate here are for kids. As for the grappling styles of martial arts I only suggest these as a defensive measure and not offense. This is merely to help escape a zombie if it happens to grab you. For the most part martial art will not be effective against the living dead as they will not feel pain and cannot be rendered unconscious. It may be useful against other unfriendly survivors though. (These may actually pose a much bigger risk than the zombies themselves)

As for axes your best bet for one that leans more toward offensive capability is the Tomahawk. Modern versions for these are actually used by US special forces.

20. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Lol. if at any one point, I have been wrong, please point it out. As I do believe most of the information I have given is at least pretty decent.