Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Arizona Rep. Giffords Shot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JesusCrust, Jan 8, 2011.

1. JesusCrust

JesusCrust Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 17, 2010

Arizona Rep. Giffords Shot At Public Event In Tucson

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367 ... in-arizona

A gunman opened fire Saturday onto a crowd at a public event held by Rep. Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson, Ariz., critically injuring the congresswoman and killing at least five people.

The dead included U.S. District Judge John Roll and a 9-year-old girl, President Obama said in a brief statement Saturday. Giffords, who was shot in the head, was among at least 13 people injured, according to the Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office.

"Gabby Giffords was a friend of mine. She is not only an extraordinary public servant, but she is also someone who is warm and caring. She is well-liked by her colleagues and well-liked by her constituents," Obama said.

"I know Gabby is as tough as they come and I am hopeful that she is going to pull through," he said.

NPR and other news organizations reported earlier Saturday that Giffords had died. NPR member station KJZZ in Phoenix reported the congresswoman and six others had been killed by the gunman.

Drew Angerer/AP
    Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was re-elected to a third term in November.
    Giffords, who was re-elected to a third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

The suspect fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said. A congressional official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the gunman was using an automatic weapon.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s. Federal, state and local law enforcement authorities in Arizona are investigating the shooting.

The congresswoman was transported to University Medical Center in Tucson.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events, which she holds regularly, allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

Giffords' Tucson office was one of three damaged last March by vandals who targeted Democrats in advance of the U.S. House vote on the controversial health care legislation. A glass panel at her office was shattered, and at the time her staff said that it appeared the window had been damaged by a pellet gun.

Giffords is married to astronaut Mark E. Kelly, who has piloted space shuttles Endeavour and Discovery. The two met in China in 2003 while they were serving on a committee there, and were married in January 2007.

About Gabrielle Giffords
    Personal

Born: June 8, 1970, in Tucson
    Family: Married to Mark Kelly, a Navy pilot and astronaut with NASA; two children
    Home: Tucson, Ariz.
    Religion: Jewish
    Career

U.S. House Representative, elected 2006
    State senator, Arizona 2002-05
    State representative, Arizona 2000-02
    CEO El Campo Tire 1997-00
    Price Waterhouse Coopers 1996-97
    Education

Scripps College, BA, 1993
    Cornell University, MS, 1996
    Fulbright Scholar in Mexico, 1996
    House Speaker John Boehner condemned the attack.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve," he said in a statement. "Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society."

Her fellow Arizona congressman, Republican Jeff Flake, reached Saturday on his way to the hospital recalled that he had last spoken with Giffords on the House floor during this week's swearing-in ceremony.

"We have a fairly small delegation and we've met often," he said of Giffords, who in November beat back a tough challenge from a Tea Party-endorsed opponent.

"She got re-elected because she's tenacious," Flake said. "There was a very strong headwind against all Democrats and people did not expect her to come back to Congress.

"But she was tireless," he said. "Others may have held back after things happen — like the damage to her office. She was fearless."

Flake said emotions have been running high in Arizona over issues, including immigration.

"That's obviously an issue that is a very passionate one for a lot of people," he said.

Three hours after the shooting, the L-shaped shopping center in Tucson was blocked off by police and had fire trucks and other vehicles in its parking lot that blocked the view of the store's front door. No shell casing could be seen from the area 500 yards from the store where reporters and photographers were kept.

Outside Giffords' office on Capitol Hill, a handful of congressional staffers could be seen walking into her office without comment, some with roller bags and one who was in tears. About a half dozen yellow flowers, placed by one mourner, sat outside the door.

2. Random Person From There

Random Person From There Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 27, 2010

He shot a fucking 9 year old? Oh my fucking god.

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    if only more politicians would get shot or better killed...

4. Random Person From There

Aug 27, 2010

Oh yes, they would be replaced by other candidates that enforce stricter laws, tighten the noose, and an eventual police state. It is arguable about having a police state currently enforced and to what extent, but that's besides the point. Assassinating politicians would give them more than enough reasons to crackdown on Anarchists and all opposition in the name of justice and social security.

5. (Filipe)

(Filipe) Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 4, 2010

If you read it , it seems like obama gets killed too :lmao: (would be good)
    :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: kill a 9 year-old girl... i would ... :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: :ecouteurs: that guy

6. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    I don't agree with that, if anything history has shown in this country that when politicians are assassinated they are typically replaced by someone who was not prepared for that responsibility, (of the 4 US presidents assassinated, only Theodore Roosevelt was a replacement who was more impactful then who he replaced.) Also My thought s are if enough politicians are assassinated, as well as their replacements, as well as any other high ranking people of power, that you cripple the power by having them worried about constantly looking over their backs. I don't see a better way to get people to stop wanting to be in power other then a constant threat to their life. I am curious what others think are better alternatives. Again I don't believe anarchy can be achieved without violence against the state.

I mean hypothetically what would happen if everyone who became president was assassinated?

7. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

this shooting is a good reason why i believe in peacful means for a revolution. just sucks that the media won't talk about the other deaths around the world because of the United States and other governments...well the major media that is

8. Random Person From There

Aug 27, 2010

Violence against the state, now no one was arguing with that in general but assassination in particular. If everyone who became president was assassinated then marshal law would be in effect, a police state, a state run by the military that would crackdown on all opposition as I had said, leaving us in a shit hole worse than before. Those are 4 cases out of hundreds, if not thousands of world Presidents. Also, who will replace them is not up to prediction, we cannot know who will or what will his intentions and effects be it be better or worse and that proves nothing. Take the multiple assassination of parliamentary members and presidents in Lebanon, what did that achieve? Nothing except a crooked and flawed system that is worse off than before and going downhill by the day. What replaced them were more strict, determined, corrupt, and "iron-handed" politicians. And that, that is a negative result for the public as a whole, the state's still there but with more severe consequences. A revolution should be spontaneous to work, an economical crisis, a large scandal, and the like.

Oh yes, we'll just kindly ask the bourgeois to give us the assets, money, and rule they've taken from us and they'll most certainly oblige and then we can all live happily ever after.

9. sludgefuck

sludgefuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2010

That's not what would happen at all. If a president was assassinated today, it would be sticking an industrial sized syringe full of steroids into national security. We're reaching unprecedented levels of mass hysteria, they would use it as an excuse to secure a complete police state. It seems like nowadays they just need one instance of something happening to justify tightening the noose around our freedom. It would make the ruling powers even more alien. A better alternative would be to start a motion to drastically cut politician's pay. No one is going to do insane amounts of work, have everyone hate them, AND be a broke motherfucker too without actually caring about bettering the situation.

10. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

lol what do you even expect me to say to this? do you really think i'm that delusional? i'm just saying there's means of change other than violence....

11. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

like what then?

12. ZmobieBoy

ZmobieBoy Active Member Forum Member

Oct 15, 2010

She was probably the only sane politician in the entire state of Arizona..

13. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

a very detailed article i found on the online site of the austrian newspaper "der standard" states, that the shooter is the 22 years old jared l. who left a "bye, my friends" on his myspace-page on saturday. a few weeks ago he uploaded a video clip to youtube, in which he described "the invention of a new american currency". he also critisized the high rate of analphabets in giffords congressional district and stated, "that most of the people who aren't clearly informed about a new currency, didn't know about the methods of thought-control and brainwashing too".

the article says that gifford is jewish and supports embryonic stem cell research. in march last year her bureau in tucson was devastated hours after the House of Representatives voted for the health reforms. gifford was "targetted" by tea-party sarah palin during the campaign for the Midterm-Elections. palin declared giffords mandate as one of the most important targets because of the democrats support for the healt reforms. republican palin had called to win 20 seats from the democrats and was keeping a graphic showing gifford and 19 other democrats "under cross hairs" on a map of the u.s. this graphic on her web site is already removed - "der standard" quotes giffords reaction in an interview with MSNBC:
    griffords said then, that palin had put her district "into the crosshairs" - if people do such things, they have to realize that such a behavior has consequences." gifford won the election against another tea party member.
    [​IMG]

14. sludgefuck

Oct 18, 2010

Look on the brightside, at least sarah pallin will never be president now

15. Altruikus

Altruikus Member Forum Member

Oct 5, 2010

I understand what your saying... if every president were to be assassinated, then obviously the position would be unappealing. However, the act of assassinating an (albeit) 'elected' official would be authoritarian. It would piss off more people worldwide then it would please. Against this though, how much support can you expect from a brainwashed society? I mean does a brainwashed people really know what's right or good for them? I think that people have to stop wanting power over others rather than be scared off by assassination. And when McKinly was assassinated, it really hurt the anarchist movement.

16. Random Person From There

Aug 27, 2010

Such as Reformism? Or a protest that will bring down the system? Do you really think the rich would just acceptably give up their profit-making assets to the masses with no fight or resistance whatsoever? I'd like to see that happen. Violence is the only way to change this system and to keep the following Anarchist society. Pacifists just make me wonder some times, now I'm just making assumptions since I don't exactly know your views/beliefs/positions, but if you are a Pacifist and think that there would be no counter-revolution, no bourgeois uprising or resistance, and no military forcing its way down our throats as soon as the state is challenged then yes, you are delusional. If you're a supporter of non-violence, then I'm all for that. A person of non-violence only responds to violence with violence, and as we all know, the state is not Pacifist, and there you go.

17. Random Person From There

Aug 27, 2010

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/08/ari ... tml?hpt=T1

Was the shooter an Anarchist?

This says otherwise:

18. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

yes, 100% agreed - and after reading my favorite apples post about her findings about the shooter and the history of the electoral campaign, I wouldn't be surprised if they finally find out that this jared l. guy is a rightwing weirdo - "invention of a new us-currency" smells like conspicrazy stuff to me and the fbi is searching for a second suspect too.
    But giffords positions on gun control and immigration/border protection... I think she'll now regret at least the first one...

19. snookams

Feb 7, 2010

well i respect whatever it is you think. i don't want to get into this if you don't mind. i just think this incident in Tucson is an example of how violence destroys everything. a 9 year old girl was shot and she made no laws. i fear violence or violent means of revolution or change because of this reason and many others.

20. vAsSiLy77

Jun 21, 2010

Jared Lee Loughner
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jared Lee Loughner
    Born September 1988(1988-09-00) (age 22)
    Nationality United States
    Other names Classitup10
    Known for 2011 Tucson shooting

Jared Lee Loughner (born September 1988) is the suspected gunman involved in the 2011 Tucson shooting, which killed 6 people and wounded U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ), and thirteen other people.

Loughner was born on September 18,1988. He lived in Tucson, Arizona and attended Thornydale Elementary, Tortolita Middle School, Mountain View High School, Northwest Aztec Middle College, and Pima Community College.

His classmates noted that he disrupted class frequently with nonsensical outbursts, would talk about how he liked smoking marijuana, and did not seem to care what people thought of him. Others claimed that he seemed like a normal kid. He also played saxophone in his school's jazz program and is reported to be a fan of heavy metal music.

From February to September 2010, Loughner had five contacts with Pima Community College police for classroom and library disruptions. On September 29, 2010, college police discovered a Loughner-filmed YouTube video in which he claimed that the college was illegal according to the United States Constitution. The college told Loughner that if he wanted to come back to school, he needed to resolve his Code of Conduct violations and obtain a mental health clearance indicating, in the opinion of a mental health professional, that his presence did not constitute a danger to himself or others. Instead he withdrew from Pima.

According to court records, Loughner had two previous offenses, one of which was for drug possession. In October 2007, Loughner was cited in Pima County for possession of drug paraphernalia, which was dismissed after he completed a diversion program, according to online records. A year later he was charged with an unknown "local charge" in Marana near Tucson. That charge was also dismissed following the completion of a diversion program in March 2009, the Daily Star reported.

The U.S. Army confirmed that Loughner had been rejected as "unqualified" from the service in 2008 for failing a drug screening.

Caiti Parker, who claims she knew the suspect in high school four years ago, described him as a "political radical". Classmates noted that Loughner was critical of religion.

He held a YouTube account under the name "ClassItUp10". Loughner's YouTube profile stated among other things that some of his favorite books were Mein Kampf, We the Living, Plato's Republic and the Communist Manifesto; one video told viewers that they "don't have to accept the federalist laws", called for a return to the gold standard, and accused the government of mind-controlling and brainwashing the citizenry.

On December 15, 2010, he posted a video consisting of a series of text statements which read:

* "My favorite activity is conscience dreaming."

* "Firstly, the current government officials are in power for their currency, but I'm informing you for your new currency".

* "My hope is for you to be literate. If you're literate in English grammar then you comprehend English grammar. The majority of people who reside in District 8 are illiterate. Hilarious."

* "If I have my civil rights then this message wouldn't have happen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lee_Loughner
    * "In conclusion, my ambition is for informing literate dreamers about a new currency... in a few days, you'll know I'm conscience dreaming."

In a Myspace post left the morning of the shooting, he wrote "Goodbye friends. Please don't be mad at me. The literacy rate is below 5%. I haven't talked to one person who is literate. I want to make it out alive. The longest war in the history of the United States. Goodbye. I'm saddened with the current currency and job employment. I had a bully at school. Thank you. P.S. --plead the fifth!"

Loughner was taken into custody on January 8, 2011 after the mass-shooting in Tucson, Arizona. He was charged with 5 Federal charges, including attempting to assassinate a member of Congress.