Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Are all businesses bad?

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by Unite&Resist36, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Unite&Resist36

Unite&Resist36 Member Forum Member

Mar 15, 2011

I know this is kind of a dumb question, but what are your guys' opinions? Should anarchists be opposed to all companies and stores? I mean, you can't apply DIY ethic to everything...

2. Derek Danger

Derek Danger Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 29, 2010

As long as capitalism still exists, you're not being a bad person by participating in it as a consumer. It's pretty unavoidable. However, people who could do things to limit their involvement in the structure, or help others to limit theirs but don't, ought to be trying harder to live less corporate.

3. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    anarchists aren't against commerce, they are against capitalism and bosses. Problem is not selling something, but how and by who it was made, in what conditions, how much they were paid, how the shop is managed, the impact on health and environment, etc...

4. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Are all businesses bad? Yes.

5. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

Oh yeah, OP asked a question. Whoops, I feel pretty dumb.

6. Unite&Resist36

Mar 15, 2011

I suppose I worded this poorly... What I meant was businesses/companies in current society, as opposed to in anarchism. Like, would it be counter-revolutionary to buy something from small to medium sized store?

7. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

No.

8. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

What you mean by business? Trading? Is ok if nobody gets ripped off, I guess.

9. Derek Danger

Jan 29, 2010

It really wouldn't be counter-revolutionary to buy something anywhere, as long as you need it and you're not conning yourself into thinking "some" capitalists are "better" than others.

I buy my food (when I pay for it at all) from international chain stores with prices I can afford, because I'm not gonna give somebody twice the going rate for a can of beans just because they live around the corner from me. So happens that they live in a fucking mansion and I live in a flat with mouldy ceilings. I'd say it would be counter-revolutionary of me to part with more of my money for a reason that makes no sense and only helps the rich on my doorstep stay richer.

10. Unite&Resist36

Mar 15, 2011

I mostly mean buying regular stuff like food or clothes, like if i was grocery shopping, cuz i would probably be supporting big capitalist chains.

11. Danarchy

Danarchy Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 16, 2012
     Canada
    There is a fundimental difference between capitalism and commerce. Capitalism is a system of trade that ensure the greatest profit possible (simplistic) whereas commerce can be any system of trade, including barter.

As for supporting a 'business'...

I am a resident and member of a certified organic farm community that is also a worker run cooperative (open membership). We operate from retail farm market stalls, an on-farm nursery and wholesale to restaurants and stores. We are a community but also a business.

Is buying from us different than buying imported produce from a mutinational corporate chain?

Yes, for one, you do not support the oppression of our third world brothers and sisters and unsustainable agricultural practices by opting into the global food system, two, you support local families, and three, you support a group of individuals that are dedicated to democratizing food production.

Are we perfect, NO, are we everywhere, NO, but I try to ensure that if I must buy, what I buy does not support exploitative economic systems. We buy our coffee beans and grains directly from independant organic farmers, for example, and we support alternative economics first; used (does your item REALLY need to be new?) or barter and, particularily with food, shop directly with the producer at farmers markets and TALK to us. Within our operation we have many opportunities for individuals to support us (and join us) beyond economics and are quite willing to provide groups with our wholesale rates rather than 'forcing' people to pay retail.