Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Any Guitarists?

Discussion in 'Band promotion & new album releases' started by Probe, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Probe

Probe Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 30, 2010

hey i just wanna know if you play guitar, your skill level and where you get your tabs and notes from....and if you can give some tips to a person starting to play some hard scaling stuff (me)

2. punkgirl04

punkgirl04 Member Forum Member

Jan 17, 2010

Hey, I ' m a Guitarrist and i'm a +\- ''begginer'', I oolny play since last month xD

3. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I've been playing the same Fender Squier since I was in 4th grade and haven't gotten any better since the day I got it q:

4. Shuei

Shuei Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 19, 2010

I've been playing for many years, even though i'm definately not a pro. I get most of my tabs from Ultimate-Guitar, and when i can't find it there, i'll usually just write "[bandname] tabs" on a search engine and it will show. I found tabs for everything from Bauhaus to discharge that way.

But today i rarely use tabs actually. I use my ear, or writes my own stuff. I'm getting better as a songwriter, but í don't get better at all the techniques that way.

5. Senri

Senri Member Forum Member

Feb 4, 2010

Mediocre guitarist here.
    I only play acoustic, so I don't know if I can help.
    What are you into? Acoustic/folk punk? Or electric style?

6. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    One trick I highly recomend to beginners is to start playing Bass guitar first, it strengthens your fret hand tremendously and trains your eye/hand coordination and your ear. At the start it is more important to learn notes than chords. If you play bass for about a year first then switch to guitar it will make much more sense to you in the long run. I started out this way and have been playing Guitar and Bass for 32 years and it really worked out well for me.

Dwtcos: don't despair just keep at it and one day you'll look back and laugh at your struggles with your six string....I promise

7. Probe

Jan 30, 2010

i consider myself intermediate i can play some fast solos but i also have alot to learn
    i went from acoustic to electric last christmas

8. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    what type of music?

9. Connorkillschildren

Connorkillschildren Active Member Forum Member

Dec 31, 2009

I play an Epiphone Les Paul and I've been playing for a year. I usually use Ultimant Guitar, but I tweak the tabs by ear. And Jack.. Shut up and buy a bass. Haha

10. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Connor I believe youe forgotten that some of us have to work hard for or conspicuous amount of one dollar bills q:

11. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

I played for about 30 yr, though I don't think I got any better during last 25. Mostly by ear unless I need something quick, as people mentioned, ultimate good for tabs. Scales, just practice them all the time, while you watching tv, etc.

12. Probe

Jan 30, 2010

hm..mostly ramones and stuff like that but i play mostly...green day....coz their riffs are easy and stuff
    also i enjoy playing AFI stuff

13. Bakica

Bakica Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 21, 2010

one question: i started playing guitar a couple of weeks ago and i have clasical guitar so i wanted to ask should I buy myself a cheap electic guitar or should I learn how to play on this one?

14. Ivanovich

Ivanovich Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 31, 2010

If thats what you want to play, yeah.

15. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

Electric is quite different from acoustic, so if you want to learn electric type stuff, I'd recommend getting an electric

16. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    Com on man you just easily can play crass then fucking GREEN DAY(in my opinion easier than ramones or most bands),circle jerks,minor threat,operation ivy(easiest songs to play)-but i m not a fan of ska,if you wanna be a killer with guitar try to imitate Gregg Ginn(Fucking god in punk scene)and also Dr.Know(Bad Brains)try to play Pay to cum if ya can.all rights reserved by Bleiburg Kids

17. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
    You should start playing on acoustic for a year or two.you got to put a "muscles"on your fingers-it is harder to play acoustic guitar than electric.for me it has worked.

18. Ring Of Truth

Ring Of Truth Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Dec 28, 2009

I have been playing on and off since seventh grade (I am 28 now). I play electric and acoustic, I can also play bass. I would recommend to a beginner to go to as many shows as possible, and instead of slamming in the pit, just focus on the guitar player, and what he/she does with their fingers. I caution you though if you decide to learn other people's songs, that you try your best not to sound exactly like that band when you write your own songs. Get ideas from other bands, but create your own sound, try your own things. The Ramones really didn't know what they were doing at first, they were trying to play 60's bubble gum rock and accidently created pop-punk, and Crass... they created their own noise which is pretty much different from anything ever before them... what I am saying is learn to make a power chord and just fucking do it.

Someone said that electric and acoustic are totally different, which is true, but I a lot of punk songs sound great on acoustic. Though if you play acoustic I urge you to learn real chords rather than just power chords it just sounds better.

19. Probe

Jan 30, 2010

yea thats what i did
    my dad made me play acoustic first then electric...now im starting to work on my soloing and stuff
    also i cant really figure out song chords and stuff myself (i dont have the perfect ear) so i have to go online and stuff and since these bands were underground i cant find tabs anywhere.
    unless you know a place...?

20. LucidStrike

LucidStrike Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 1, 2009

Been playin' only since December, and I'm 19. I'm pretty adept, but I don't see myself becoming too technically skilled in the next year or so. That said, I think I'll do fine as rhythm guitar in a band, given a few more months.

Haven't yet bothered learnin' songs yet. Just noodlin' around, figurin' out what sounds good, becomin' acquainted with the fretboard. =/