Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Any folk, gypsy, kind of styles???

Discussion in 'REQUESTS' started by suns0ut, Nov 23, 2009.

1. suns0ut

suns0ut New Member New Member

Nov 23, 2009

Yeah I'm really into Mischief Brew and I love their all over the place style, and their lyrics, they just have a kick-ass sound altogether. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any other bands that have this kind of feel to it because it's hard for me to find them. I like the sound of banjos, accoridians, bellowing voices, a gypsy swing to it, I dono, just looking, so if you know of any I'd appreciate it thanks!

2. M.A.N.

M.A.N. New Member New Member

Oct 21, 2009

Try some of these, maybe not all tried and true anarchists but at least they're kids with heart:

Ghost Mice (Obviously)
    Andrew Jackson Jihad (honest acoustic)
    This Bike is a Pipe Bomb (Obviously again, I get into them sometimes)
    Rosa (Texas folky folks - I like "Starch and Carbohydrates")
    Why are We Building Such a Big Ship (New Orleans accordion slow swingers)
    My Graveyard Jaw (New Orleans clowns)
    Casa de Chihuahuas (drunken banjo pickers)
    G-String Orchestra (mostly Romanian folk tunes but these Alaskan kids are rad)

Anyway, I'd love to find more of this stuff too. It feels right.

Good Luck!

3. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    they aren't anarcho... but check out the pogues, punky tunes with banjo, accordian, mandolin, and tin whistle as main instruments, along with typical guitar drum and bass.

4. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

Dude GOGOL BORDELLO.
    Really really really awesome gypsy punk band.
    Also not really punk but try "Traveling Band of Gypsy Nomads"
    I'm pretty sure both these guys have myspaces and websites, whichever is your cup of tea. You won't be disappointed.

5. suns0ut

Nov 23, 2009

Thanks.

6. Thomas Stench

Thomas Stench Member New Member

Nov 1, 2009

these and also:

the Broken Bottle Band (new orleans)
    Sundown Songs (new orleans)
    Dead Man Street Orchestra (not around anymore, but Ian from G-String was in this with some other friends years ago)
    Hurray for the Riff Raff (new orleans)

7. chesticles

chesticles Active Member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

DUH

BLACK BIRD RAUM

HOBOGOBLINS

and there's a scene of this down in san pedro, ca
    black sparrow press

8. CrustyElmo666

CrustyElmo666 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Oct 12, 2009

God damn it! Folk punk has gotten to be such a buzz word/phrase/label lately! So much so that whenever someone mentions some band, that could be totally unrelated musically to the "plan-it-x sound of folk punk", it will infallibly be compared to just that being the first half of your list... As far as the second half goes i can't say, but i'll have to check them out... Not that there's anything wrong with that kind of folk punk (i'm listening to Spoonboy right now and I plan on making out a mail order to plan-it-x today) and not at all meaning to jump all over ya, but the dude asked for stuff along the lines of Mischief Brew and Ghost Mice is not exactly the first thing that comes to mind pertaining to that line of thinking...

Honestly, there's not alot of bands out there that are going to match up to Mischief Brew, but i'll name a few...

This may sound little weird, but the first thing i would recommend would be Tom Waits, start with Rain Dogs, that album is probably the closest thing to the same feel as Smash The Windows or Bakenal i've ever come across.
    Chris Neuman did a collaborative album on Fistolo with Erik Petersen that is pretty good.
    Meisce would be something to check out, also on Fistolo records.
    Seconding Gogol Bordello and The Pogues
    Greenland Whalefishers from Norway, even better celtic punk than The Pogues, although I'm sure that's blasphemy
    I've also heard that Mutiny is good from Australia is good although I've never heard any of their material
    Bread And Roses, who did a split with Mischief Brew and are also on Fistolo
    The Dolomites started out playing some awesome celtic punk but evolved into playing a crazy mix of Romanian and Japanese folk punk.
    More recent Murder By Death, amazing folky punky stuff that i'm pretty sure is not associated with punk rock in any way.
    Streetlight Manifesto, World/Inferno, This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb, Evil Robot Us' ,and i'm sure you've heard of Defiance, Ohio
    and i'm sure countless lesser known bands...

9. chesticles

chesticles Active Member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

since i cant delete a post i take back that duh i said.. i sound like a snobby ass valley girl.

other bands are
    pale robin
    dandelion junk queens
    the macrae sisters

10. suns0ut

Nov 23, 2009

Thanks! You guys are awesome great help.

11. watermouse

watermouse Member Forum Member

Dec 30, 2009

12. Jive

Jive Member Forum Member

Dec 2, 2009

blackbird raum is great.

13. ampallang

ampallang Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2009

Mutiny from australia are awesome.. i have some russian stuff but i cant find it right now. I think its pozo or poza an album called airmail balkans... sorry not to be clear.

The currency from Melbourne, not so punk.. but still awesome

14. Harrison

Harrison Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 11, 2009

Fuckin A, sparkle the Blackbird Raum and Dandelion Junk Queens.
    Blackbird Raum is and has been my favorite band for a long time, they are amazing and worth looking into.
    If you like these bands, Hail Seizures are also really good and somewhat similar.

15. snookams

snookams Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Feb 7, 2010

not really punk but if you like swing type stuff you should check out Big Bad Voodoo Daddy or Poindexter...i know that mischeif brew does delve into swing alot, especially with bakenal and smash the windows