Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

anti flag good or bad?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by corpratedeath, Dec 24, 2009.

1. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

stop acting like a punk rock scholar

2. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Ok I'm still not agreeing with you, see unlike you I didn't get my Info from films or books, I have a George and Leo Bass guitar sitting in front of me right now with Joe 'Woody' Strummer's and Paul 'London SS' Simonon's Signatures on it. Didn't buy it on E-bay, didn't steal it from behind the bar at The House of Blues, It was a gift from Luis Guerena and was signed on an all night bender at Luis' House in the middle of the Infamous Tijuana Red Light District. What I'm getting at is that Joe and Paul certainly didn't owe the Pistols their Influence, It was the Ramones. And this is from Joe's mouth to my ears. Same with Jello, who was a stoned out bored assed hippy until he witnessed The Ramones play a show in Colorado all a matter of record in a million interviews. But again, Jello recorded Tijuanarquia's Demo and was getting ready to put out a 7 when my Compadre Luis died on me. My point? I don't have to read about the things your trying to convince me of, I know these people, which is not a brag because they're just people like you and me. Again you can put the Pistols on a pedestal and overemphasize their importance but it doesn't make it true.

:beer:

3. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

you can undermine them doesn't make it true, lets say they were hugely influential to some on not on others, geez louise, its like saying d beat would exist without discharge or someit

i like the ramones, the sex pistols, the clash and anti flag oooh, musical pooo, sentiment yea but i'm still not so sure on their boloticx and yes i've heard their album

4. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

D beat only exists because of one band, and one band only.
    MOTORHEAD.

5. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    hahahahaha, believe it or not Cocytus that was the last thought in my head before I closed my eyes last night, I was trying to remember back to those days and think of what it was that drove the change in punk to hardcore and it wasn't Discharge it was Motorhead! But aparantly we don't know what were talking about....
    :/

6. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

It would be a completely useless exercise to debate the merits of your life experiences, recollections, what have you, I have no interest in doing so. However, you claimed that the Pistols formed AFTER the Clash, which is undeniably false. I wouldn't argue that Strummer wasn't AWARE of the Ramones, but that wasn't what caused him to break up the 101ers, and the Clash do not stylistically resemble the Ramones in any meaningful way. However, even if they did, they'd still owe their existence to the Pistols because as I mentioned, Strummer would still be doing rockabilly numbers, and Mick and Paul would also never have formed London SS, etc. etc.

I have no doubt the Ramones were an influence. But the Dead Kennedy's music bears far less resemblence to the Ramones than the Sex Pistols.

[/quote]

I'm not overemphasizing anything. Point of fact; the British punk explosion, and all the bands that were to any degree inspired by it, owe their existence to the Sex Pistols, from the Germs, to Crass, to Green Day.

7. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

sorry the d-beat was discharges drummer, motorhead rule and influenced more crust and thrash and metal

even minor threat did a cover of a cover by the sp's, c'mon people, just cause u don't likem is like saying propagandhi weren't truly influential

this sound like a an argument between a metaller and a punk rather than a punker to a punker but then the scene seems to have been getting dumber from the 80's 'indy' charts to the present, maybe they were influenced by metal which was influenced by 'punk', they don't seem to wish to admit that, fine but ya wrong anyway

oh and i love motorhead probably not as much as your t-shirt though

"I'm not overemphasizing anything. Point of fact; the British punk explosion, and all the bands that were to any degree inspired by it, owe their existence to the Sex Pistols, from the Germs, to Crass, to Green Day." - Thats overemphasis as steve jones learnt guitar as many did by playing along to the first ramones record but i agree with the rest whole heartedly.

8. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    u love someone's t-shirt more then motorhead?

9. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    It's too bloody boring IDN'T IT?. You think your an authority after being into punk for twelve years? Thats Laughable NGNM85, I'm not after 32 years nor would I want to be, because Authority is Bullshit.

Anyway, why don't you write a book about how we should all be licking The Sex Pistols sweaty punk rock balls and how that has relevance to my music that I play, Oh and i'll be sure to let everyone in a band in my immediate area know how much we owe the Sex Pistols because without their brilliant music we would be in Funk bands not Punk bands.

:lmao:

10. crimethink666

crimethink666 Member New Member

Oct 26, 2009

Not to be nit picky, but the original wasn't done by either the pistols or minor threat. It was originally from a 60's band I think..

11. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

The song "Stepping Stone" was made popular by The Monkees, which charted pretty well, but was originally written by Paul Revere & the Raiders. The Minor Threat cover is obviously paying homage to the Pistol's rendition, which is, in my opinion, the best cover song they recorded.

12. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

What is the limit? People keep inventing these obscure new rules. Quite odd. While I'd say twelve plus years in the punk scene definitely counts for something, most of my knowledge of punk rock comes from research.
    I don't know if I'm necessarily an authority, compared to Jon Savage? No. Compared to your average punk? Definitely. I think reading dozens of volumes on the subject counts for something, that is how knowledge is generally attained.
    More importantly, questioning my credibility really only matters if what I was saying was erroneous. Virtually everything I said is a matter of well known or easily verified fact. You're jumping from debating the specifics of the evolution of punk rock, to personal attacks is revealing.

You're deliberately blurring the lines between authority as in expertise; having knowledge on a particular subject, with a centralized power structure.

First, you cited erroneous facts, now we're down to hyperbole and sarcasm. This is obviously a retreat because you are unwilling or unable to engage in substantive debate.
    You are being willfully dense, which is unfortunate. It's very possible that all the punk bands in your area take no direct or indirect influence from the Sex Pistols, just extremely unlikely. That would have to mean they were ONLY drawing from punk bands formed prior to 1975, as essentially everything afterwards is directly or indirectly based on the Sex Pistols. Again, I don't care whether you or anyone likes them or not. I can't stand the fucking Beatles, but just because I dislike them doesn't mean I am so blind as to refuse to acknowledge the pivotal role they played in the evolution of modern music, including virtually all the music I listen to.

13. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

Close. That's how SID VICIOUS learned to play bass, after the Pistols had already written and recorded virtually all the material that would be included on NMTB.

14. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

now u r being picky and sed u got it from books mainly so u can't say either which way nananana, anyway can we mention the toy dolls now

oh and a cover of a cover means yes it was orginally done by a 60's band, wasn't it a small faces song, wipes brow, that was hard.

u dodn't haveta b a fan but the sex pistols were important oh wat about the big boys, how bout some new bands ummmm

15. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Why do you people get so bent out of shape over bands? And music genres? WHO GIVES A FUCK WHEN IT STARTED, WHO STARTED IT AND WHO DID OR DIDNT SELL OUT. I don't see how argueing this is in any way relevant to anything that's actually a serious issue on here.

I mean its a good question and all. But just make a fucking poll or just write (i dont like em, i like em). And let bygones be bygones, damn. Im sick of seeing these petty arguments. Killing people is one thing to argue about, but who started D-Beat? Whos better or worse than Anti-Flag? C'mon now.

16. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

17. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

Hahaha,I like the U.S. Bombs....Anti-Flag however aren't my scene..They make me think of NOFX,Bad Religion and other bands that "weekend punks" listen to.

18. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    I've refrained from defending bad religion thus far... but saying that weekend punks listen to them is probably in accurate. they are one of my all time favorite bands, and their lyrics never cease to amaze me, or the fact that they have survived for almost 30 years and have never written songs about girls or drinking or other things that most "sell out" punk bands embrace. If a weekend punk does listen to BR, I hope it at least up's their intelligence a fraction.

19. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

Well put my friend. Not to say that only "weekend Punks" listen to them,I know there are some genuine listeners as well. Just appears that almost every one i have met thus far that is sporting a BR shirt seem to all be a part of the NOFX,Anti-Flag,warped Tour "crowd".

20. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    OK Punk Rock 'Expert' like I said go teach a class " 'cuz nobody here caaaarees" Thats a song by the way, and its not that I'm retreating or won't engage further. Its boring, and we're obviously boring our friends on here so I'll say this: Your right and I'm wrong. There you happy? Now you go crank up your Sex Pistols, and I'll go crank up The Wretched and drink a beer to your health
    :beer: