Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

anti flag good or bad?

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by corpratedeath, Dec 24, 2009.

1. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

Alright I'll let you have that one. What I really meant was REdefine it. The definition is probably the simplest part. That was just a case of superficially profound thinking on my behalf q:

2. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

HAHAHAHA, I love how you selected to disregard the Conflict Lyrics I posted talking shit on your SUPERFAN BAND.

Im done with this thread, I feel like im talking to a retard with downs syndrome.

Yours skulls about as thick as Flava Flav is Illiterate.

I can sleep easier at night knowing youll die one day, and still be a fraud.

3. Cocytus

Cocytus Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 14, 2009

Movies are just that, Movies.
    Never ever take film and interviews as fact.
    They will always make shit seem larger than life in an interview/documentary.
    Same thing with most books.

4. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

Oh and Cocytus. As much as you despise the pistols I think you should watch "The Filth and The Fury" it was an extremely informative documentary that never glorified the Sex Pistols but also displaces a lot of the things you claim to be true.

5. disfuck

disfuck Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 11, 2009

actually i just viewed it tonight and thought it was funny , it did try and make them out to be more then they were , they even tried to pretend they werent , practically a joke/money making band for mclauren , because sid said that one of mclaurens other bands were "puppeting" or something for mclauren . it was lame ,malarky !!!

6. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Shhhhh! It'll be our little secret, they don't need to know ;)

7. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

With this kind of logic, whos to say what YOU believe is true and not just "larger than life"?

8. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I said "essentially." Punk began in America, with CBGB's and a couple West Coast acts like Iggy Pop and the Runaways. However, the then nascent Punk movement had no real foundation, there was no cohesion. There was a rough idea of what punk WASN'T, that the pop/rock of the day was crap was universally agreed upon, but that was about it. The Pistols didn't invent punk, they codified it. This is why I referred to them as the Robert Johnson's (Who Cocytus has never heard of.) of Punk. He didn't INVENT the delta blues, but he collected and combined various strains into a coherent formula that set the standard. Without the Pistols there probably would have been future bands that were called punk but it would be nothing like what did happen. After the Pistols punk was permenantly changed. Without them we'd never have had the Germs, the Clash, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, and, Crass and Conflict while we're on the subject.

9. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

Don't try and argue logic with him, it's hopeless.

10. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Sorry buddy but your dead wrong, and giving your opinion does not a fact make...I was there in California in 1977 and the pistols had absolutely nothing to do with punk in California or Michigan(Iggy Pop-MC5) thus you saying that without the Pistols no Black Flag, no Dead Kennedy's and no Germs is fucking ludicrous. Furthermore three of them hung out at some of the Clash's first Rehersals before they formed the Pistols, and Joe Strummer had always acknowledged The Ramones as lighting his Punk fervor and there is actual footage of those pre-Pistols Clash rehersals. When the Pistols toured the US they met major resistance from punks that were already here and didn't care for there antics. Now if you want to keep going we can talk about New York and how ridiculous your statements are. The Zero's are from Chula Vista, Ca. and actually predated the Ramones by about a year and a half. I can keep going but it's really pointless. You love them and I don't really have a problem with that, but there are a lot of really young punks on this site that might mistake your misguided Rhetoric as fact.

11. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

12. BlinkoChrist

BlinkoChrist Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 1, 2009

You know where a guy could find some of that music?

Oh and all the pistols did was influence street punk....

13. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

I had a torrent of there album a few monts ago and it took a ridiculously long time to download and half of the files were missing....

14. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

I only like anti flags name, aren't they on a major, c'mon people, keep ya silly faves in the closet, na really most of us don't wanna hear it, ya could even have an anti flag tv party, remember to call me tomorrow eh and tell us how it went, no really, we're all friends, aren't we, i'm serious, no asshole here

15. dwtcos

Oct 22, 2009

They aren't on a major label.

16. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

ok

17. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

i guess majors are dying ahahaha

18. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

19. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

You're still not hearing me. I fully acknowledge that Punk technically began in America with performers like The New York Dolls, Richard Hell, Iggy Pop, the Runaways, Cherry Vanilla, Blondie, and The Ramones, to name a few. However, modern punk almost exclusively draws influence from the Sex Pistols and bands inspired by them. The Sex Pistols were one of the Germ's biggest influences, otherwise they probably would've gone into some kind of glam rock. Darby's dress and musical style was an Americanized version of Britpunk. The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag were also primarily inspired by the Pistols, and bands that came after them like The Clash, the Damned, etc. As were the Weirdos, the Dils, the Screamers, etc. There WAS a California punk scene that predated the Pistols, bands like Crime, and the Nuns, but they were stylistically different. Shortly after the Pistol's first recording there was a sea-change. Everything afterwards was different. The musical and clothing style of the aforementioned bands up to modern punk flowed from the Pistols, short, spiky, dyed hair, fetish adornments, safety pins, etc. Richard Hell wore safety pins once or twice, but that didn't catch on. There may have been a community of thought, but the British scene, which the Pistols created, albiet unintentionally, was a radically different animal.

This brings me to my next point. You are confused about your history. The Clash formed AFTER, and BECAUSE OF, the Pistols. Joe Strummer was going by the nickname "Woody" and playing in a rockabilly outfit called the 101ers, one night they shared a bill with the Pistols, who were just starting out, and Strummer broke up the 101ers just afterwards. Shortly after that he was contacted by Mick Jones and Paul Simonon who were originally in the London SS, which were managed for about five minutes until they broke up by Bernie Rhodes, an associate of Malcolm McLaren's, again, AFTER, the Pistols formed. With the incredibly short-lived London SS behind them Jones and Simonen needed to put a new band together and they were impressed by seeing Strummer in the 101ers so they asked him to be the lead singer, and soon the Clash became the second major punk outfit in England. I'd recommend you check out Marcus Gray's "Return of the Last Gang in Town."

20. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

mr germs is right