Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Another conservative government elected by 15% of the population. This is what democracy looks like.

Discussion in 'General political debates' started by ungovernable, May 3, 2011.

1. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Yesterday the conservative government was re-elected in canada for the 4th time and this time they got majority in parlement meaning that they will be able to:
    - Continue the war in afghanistan
    - Fight against gay marriages
    - Fight against abortion
    - Abolish the database of weapons and make canada a country like US where you can easily buy guys
    - Continue to cut in education and public services
    - Pass their laws to protect copyrights and big trademarks
    - Pass their laws to criminalize the crimes committed by minors under the age of 18 and pass a law to be able to send them to prison for some crimes.

Hopefully only 6 sieges were won in quebec, against 160 for the rest of canada. Meaning that Conservatives definatly lost Quebec. They didnt even try to campaign here...

But most of people seems to think that when a government is elected, it is the majority of population that puts him in power. It is really a big myth. Let's debunk it.

23 971 740 canadians have their voting card (According to elections canada)
    34 019 000 is the population of canada in 2010 (according to wikipedia)
    So 67.65 % of the population have their voting card

57% of the voters participated to the election.
    Meaning that only 57% of the 67% registered voters used their right to vote. 57% of 67% is 38%
    So, 38% of the population voted

Conservative Party won with 40% of the votes (which is still a large avance)
    So, 40% of the voters (38% of population) elected the conservatives. 38% of 40% is 15%
    In other words, 15% of the population voted for the conservative party

This is what democracy looks like. A system governed by a government that is only suppored by a canadian and a half on 10. A government elected by 15% of the population while 85% either voted against them or refused to give them their voice.

Stop saying this government represent the canadian people. This government represent 15% of the population and they still got a large majority in parliment.

In 2008 (last elections) it was even worse.
    42% of the registered voters voted (on 67% of registered voters), meaning that 28% of the population voted.
    Conservative party won with 37% of voices. 37% of 28% is 10% meaning that only 10% of the population elected Harper in 2008. Welcome to "democracy"

2. butcher

butcher Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Marriage out, prostitution in..
    :p

3. Mike Generic

Mike Generic Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
  4. SOADcore

SOADcore Experienced Member Experienced member

Mar 29, 2011

Do you think Canada is going to be like the U.S. in 3 or 4 years? I was thinking getting the hell out of the U.S. when I am 18, but if Canada is just as shitty...

5. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    With the conservative party it's definatly becomming like the US on many points...

6. vAsSiLy77

vAsSiLy77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jun 21, 2010

We have a conservative majority since when? - 1949!!!!!! - in bavaria, they are only slowly declining down towards 50%, and we don't vote since the last social democrat/green party coalition turned out to be completely weird (schroeder/fischer) - and we still survive!
    So cheer up and wait for the participation rate to vanish into the abyss completely because nobody's left to believe in their petty games and it's getting time to clear the mess up and after this:

7. Burn1ng

Burn1ng Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Apr 24, 2011

Thanks for those calculations Ungovernable... I'm pretty dumb with mathematics myself so I wouldn't know how much people actually vote, at least now I know how it goes in Canada and to be honest since I'm talking to a nice canadian girl from the boards these days I'm a bit worried of what might happen there :( Hopefully you people can do something against those conservative pieces of shit. Don't give up!