Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

ANARCHO-PUNK IS DEAD

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by bikepunk, Sep 22, 2009.

1. bikepunk

bikepunk Member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

It's a bit old but I like to provoke \m/
    I was thinking about posting in Punk is Dead ? theard, but I think it worth a new topic

Let's puke on CRASS here :ecouteurs:
    Let's be punk
    Let's be anarchist

http://www.activedistribution.org/images/Fed.jpg

still I love all of my CRASS vinyls. :rock:

2. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    anarcho-punk isn't the 77 punk movement, anarcho-punk can't die as long as anarchism is still actuality.... just take a look at the number of the bands on this website... Anarcho-punk isn't dead ;)

3. bikepunk

Sep 22, 2009

I do know, I wouldn't waste my time here if anarchopunk were really dead.

just a post to think a bit, since CRASS is often considered as THE anarcho punkreference. I think this flyer remind us we have to be careful.

what is important is not what you say, not even what you think, but what you DO !

4. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Yes, Crass were the pionneers of anarcho-punk, but let's say it frankly : they just made the link between anarchism and punk and they radicalized a part of the movement...

Considering anarcho-punk is punks who are anarchists, the definition of anarcho-punk doesn't belongs to crass's definition. They just express their own opinion just like any anarchist bands do, but i wouldn't consider it as "the official definition which can't be questionned" (although i do agree with 99% of their ideas)

As long as there will be anarchists there will be anarcho-punks. And if punk dies then anarchists will just play another kind of music, but i doubt anarcho-punk will die soon. Even if punk was less popular then the anarcho bands would just be more true and more radical...

But i think sometimes crass are worshipped too much... Just like in anarchism some peoples gives too much attention to Proudhon just because he is considered as the pionneer of anarchism... But Proudhon doesn't own the "official" definition of anarchism just like crass or anybody else doesn't own the definition of anarcho-punk

5. bikepunk

Sep 22, 2009

I agree :thumbsup:

6. Napalm

Napalm Active Member Forum Member

Sep 14, 2009

i've always thought anarchism would resent idolization, not embrace it..?
    that text\hymn in the first post is the most revolting thing i've ever read. (considered you don't treat nazi propaganda as an actual "read")

7. jarek_M-F

jarek_M-F Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 28, 2009

Punk (or anarcho-punk) movement is based on punk music... And that's OK, because music is a good tool to spred the message, and it heals our souls and helps to survive as well... I can't believe punk music dies. It is just too "perfect" and universal, and everybody can make punk music... Also after 30 years, punk rock is still what it used to be in the beginnings. I mean, there are loads of bands, which keep the traditional sound of late 70's / early 80's. Again, it says, that punk is too "perfect" to die...

8. Dr Rudeboy

Dr Rudeboy New Member New Member

Oct 12, 2009

yes that whole article is just mind-numbing. the author has either no knowledge of underground movements and out-of-mainstream bands and networks (such as this one) or is just completely ignorant. anarcho-punk lives!

9. ghost in the void

ghost in the void Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 8, 2009

this is possibly the stupidist thread on this site. as admin said, look how many members we have.

o rly?

considering how many members of anarcho-punk bands (by general definition) from all over the world i know, this is blatantly wrong. where i work we have international bands nearly every week, especially now it's spring. all mainly punk. i talk about this with political punkers A LOT. why did i even bother writing that "what is anarcho-punk?" thing for the site?

i know a buttload of anarchists too. i guarantee you punk isn't the most popular form of music amongst them. they like all sorts of stuff.

i agree CRASS are "worshipped" too much. i've "busted" so many people with CRASS patches that don't even listen to the band, and definately don't give a fuck about their message. their symbol is almost like a marketing meme (like the nike tick or the adidias three stripes) for punkers.

the rest i definately agree with.

10. ungovernable

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    Ok you're right, i didn't formulate correctly :p

Anyway i think our definition of anarcho-punk is clear (see the text in the information section for those who haven't read it)

Yeah, we got a lot of this kind of wannabes here in quebec.... Sad but true

11. paddy the punk

paddy the punk New Member New Member

Oct 11, 2009

anarcho punk still means more than a fashion its a way of life..!DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN!!!!! fashions die movements dont!

12. Carcass

Carcass Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 12, 2009

Living Dead

I wish I could agree, Paddy! I think many, many movements have died or at least been ground down to ineffectual collections of marginalized and heavily surveilled individuals. The American Indian Movement, the Black Panther Party for Self Defense and the Citizens In Solidarity with the People of El Salvador come to mind.

While I am glad to have met so many stalwarts like yourself, for whom being a punk means living a lifestyle that aims to confront tyrannical government on every level, the far majority of punks I have met pay only the most vague lip service to anarchism. Most of them seem completely disinterested in taking action against the state; they would rather play dress up, get blind non-verbal drunk and listen to fast music. And, you know, that's fine. It's not that I have anything against that sort of predeliction, but I think Crass' point was that punk is not a movement. There was a great moment in the 70s where it seemed like punk was going to evolve into a bona fide anarchist youth movement but it fizzled. Now we're 30 years later and people are still expecting punk to save the youth? I doubt it. Maybe a few of us get turned on to true radicalism through this kind of music, but it seems like most are happy to have a few years of living and "extreme" lifestyle while still spewing homophobic and racist sentiments and then retire their piercings when it comes time to get a real job.

What I think is most telling about the (lack of) political effectiveness in anarcho-punk is that those three movements I listed in my first paragraph (AIM, the BPP and CIPSES) were all busted by the FBI. The FBI, the United States political police that exists to terminate social justice movements at the point that they are seen as even a potential threat to the status quo, has never given a fuck about anarcho-punk. They have attacked individual anarcho-punks who were engaging in direct action against the government, but have never seen anything in the whole of anarcho-punk worth attacking.

13. PissholeSurfers

PissholeSurfers New Member New Member

Oct 21, 2009

If it is, then why did I sign up

14. Kobac

Kobac Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 7, 2009
     Denmark
  15. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

sounds like a cult to me