Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Anarchists on welfare

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by Tom Pirate, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Tom Pirate

Tom Pirate Member Forum Member

Nov 14, 2012

What are your thoughts on anarchists being on foodstamps. etc? I have mixed feelings about it, but it's something that's been on my mind lately, so I was curious as to your opinions on it.

2. NomadicAnarchy

NomadicAnarchy Member New Member

Jan 1, 2013

personally speaking, i am all for it. I am on food stamps and not welfare, and out of 9+ years of homeless/travel, i only started stamps about 6months ago.

i think of it this way: the government fucks you in so many ways and takes money from you in any way it can. if you can somehow get some of that back, even if it's in food stamps form, i think that's a win for the people.

and if the arguement is "oh they are soaking up our tax dollars" .... ha, i get 200 a month which is enough to feed myself carefully and provide for my dog as well. i'm not making profit or getting over on anyone i'm merely being provided one of many things this world has to offer and SHOULD be offered to anyone in need.

when comparing how much is spent on welfare/food stamps/helping those in need to the trillions spent on killing people in foreign lands and taking their resources, i think it's a small percentage. also, being an anarchist, of course ideally no one would need to "rely" on the system, which i up front will tell you i do not, and as mentioned only started this 6 months ago, so i know i'm capable of fending for myself, however in the mean time, hoping that i get to watch it all crumble some day, i will gladly accept my support of food while i try to better myself and the lives of others.

-Hawk

3. PoshyX

PoshyX Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 17, 2012
     United States
    glad to see you're taking advantage of the system, mr. hawk. i'm pretty much on the same boat as you, i'm all for using food stamps and the welfare system regardless of your financial situation. screw the government, it steals rom you all the time anyway.

4. CrustCat

CrustCat Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2012

One thing we have to acknowledge is we have to learn to eventually live without food stamps, welfare, state health insurance, disability, and any other form of benefits controlled by the states . Just remember that with the anarchist beliefs that even the 'good' things have to be abolished with the bad things when the government is in control of it.
    Freedom and self reliance is the final goal, no?

5. Tom Pirate

Tom Pirate Member Forum Member

Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it, Crustcat. The way I see it, it's not really any worse than an anarchist getting a job, but it's not something that should be abused.

6. THEBLACKNOVA

THEBLACKNOVA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 11, 2011
     Mexico
    How would you "abuse" it? They give you like $200 in food stamps? Oh and if you spend it in any other industry the money still is circulating within the economy and maintaing jobs and bottom lines...

From the Governments point of view it's probably used to hold down parts of the population from organizing and rising up. :/

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Buenaventura Durruti had many jobs and I don't think a person in the world would question his anarchist credentials do you?

8. NomadicAnarchy

NomadicAnarchy Member New Member

Jan 1, 2013

no offense punkmar77 but what the FUCK does your post have to do with food stamps??

you didn't even post your opinion. if you want to start a new thread on bands that influenced dishcharge, go for it. if you don't have an opinion on the topic...please don't waste people's time.

p.s. who the fuck needs to prove to anyone how much of an anarchist they are. one thing i can't stand about punks/anarchists is they almost always feel they have something they NEED to prove to everyone else. get over it. i don't care about hermando guatemala or his ideals.

i honestly mean no personal attack on you, but come on.
    thanks for your informative post tho brother.

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    What the fuck it has to do with this post is that I am commenting on Tom Pirates comment...nobody is trying to prove anything to anybody...you want to accept food stamps from the state, that's entirely your prerogative...who the fuck is hermando guatemala? If you don't know who Durruti is then I suggest you fucking inform yourself before spouting off...brother.

10. ungovernable

ungovernable Autonome Staff Member Uploader Admin Team Experienced member

Aug 21, 2009
    Male
    Canada  Canada
    I'm all for welfare, even if you're working. Some people say it's stealing, well i say that i'd rather steal the government than let them steal from me.

Anyway, i believe welfare should be given to everyone regardless of your financial situation. So it would make an end to infighting and division inside working class between people who touch welfare while working and people who doesn't.

11. crustybeckham

crustybeckham Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

I guess the divide between the unemployed who are on the dole and people who have a job is orchestrated and fuelled by the media who would rather have a divided working-class rather than a united one against the upper-class. All the talks about "social parasites" is just a distraction from the real enemy. Divide and rule.

I have been on the dole for almost a year and I don't feel an ounce of guilt. :beer:

Lardy Cox likes this.
  12. Spike one of many

Spike one of many Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Banana Republic  South Africa
    :beer:

13. kad budu gorjeli gradovi

kad budu gorjeli gradovi Experienced Member Experienced member

Oct 23, 2012
     Serbia
    anarchist on welfare is like vegan on meat - doesnt exist.
    if you dont think like this just try to imagine yourself living in a country that doesnt give you nothing, as i do.

14. crustybeckham

Jan 22, 2012

I know a lot of "non-existant" people then but I suppose you meant that there was no such thing where you live, didn't you?. I am well aware that many countries don't have unemployment benefits (for instance, a mate from Minsk recently told me that in Bielorussia, you only get 20 euros a month when you are unemployed), but what does it have to do with being an anarchist? If you were unemployed in Western Europe, you would try to get some dole money, wouldn't you?

15. kad budu gorjeli gradovi

Oct 23, 2012
     Serbia
    offcourse not. anarchism has nothing to do with taking stuff for free. when you accept something from the system, your justifying its existance. youre agreeing with everything else it does.

16. CrustCat

CrustCat Active Member Forum Member

Nov 12, 2012

This. I guess it's an unpopular opinion but what do people think will happen once the system is abolished? I know people say "oh, it's ok, I'll give it up once we are closer to our goal" but they don't realize how silly that statement is. Like the vegan comparison, it's like saying "hey, I'll give up meat when the animals are almost completely liberated!"

PS. Are there any books/zines on this particular debate? I'd love to read about more views.

17. kad budu gorjeli gradovi

Oct 23, 2012
     Serbia
  18. crustybeckham

Jan 22, 2012

This, Sir, is a lot of bollocks of the patronizing kind.
    If I wasn't on the dole right now, I would have lost my flat and pretty much everything but the feeling of being pure. I know that the whole welfare system is a means to keep the poor in line by creating a situation of dependency. But to me, it is survival first, political perfection later. Following your argument, going to school (funded by the state) would also mean that you agree with everything else it does. Yes, it is that thick an argument. Not taking part in the system won't make it disappear either.

19. kad budu gorjeli gradovi

Oct 23, 2012
     Serbia
    its exactly what it will make it disappear.

20. nclpw

nclpw Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 25, 2012

Actually, by having a job you do more for the system then if you are on welfare. Unless you get payed under the table and live in a squat and are 100% self-sufficient(meaning you don't even use electricity you haven't generated on your own). Really, how far do you have to go to be considered trve?