Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Amebix - Sonic Mass - 2011 (UK)

Discussion in 'Anarcho-Punk music albums downloads' started by Caps, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Caps

CapsExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 3, 2010

DOWNLOAD LINK

Click on the link above to download the file

[​IMG]

Track List:

01. Days
    02. Shield Wall
    03. The Messenger
    04. God of the Grain
    05. Visitation
    06. Sonic Mass Part 1
    07. Sonic Mass Part 2
    08. Here Comes the Wolf
    09. The One
    10. Knights of the Black Sun

RECORD INFORMATION

Sonic Mass
    Release Date : 2011

Gatefold cover, no credits nor any recording info.Mastering firm and mastering engineer for vinyl cut uncredited, identified by the etched matrix. Pressing/manufacturing company uncredited, identified by the etched matrix.
    LISTEN ON YOUTUBE FIND VIDEOS MORE DOWNLOADS

Amebix Biography

WEBSITE
    Formed: 1978. Disbanded: 1987. Reformed: 2008. Finally disbanded in 2012.

Influential English band considered to be the godfathers of the Crust Punk subgenre. They recorded two full-length albums and three EPs before splitting up in 1987, at which time The Baron went to live on the isle of Skye and worked as a self-taught sword-smith whilst the remainder of the band forged ahead with [a=The Smartpils] member [a=Tim Crow] as [a=Zygote (3)]. This endeavour was short-lived however, and lasted until the early 1990s before fading into obscurity.
    The band officially reformed in February 2008 without Spider and with new drummer Roy Mayorga ([a=Nausea (2)], [a=Soulfly], [a=Stone Sour]). However in 2012, in a interview, Rob "The Baron" Miller has made a statement announcing that Amebix is no more.

Band members: Roy Mayorga, Rob Miller (10), Chris Miller (8)
    Band ex-members: , Spider (11), A. Droid, Neil Worthington, George Smutpig, Ric Gadsby, Billy Jug
    ---

Amebix were a British crust punk band that formed in 1978. Many consider them to have started the subgenre crust punk, by mixing heavy metal with anarcho-punk. They established crust as being separate from thrash metal by mixing post-punk music with metal riffs and atmospheres, as opposed to thrash bands' mixing of metal music with punk rawness and speed. They were originally called The Band With No Name, and shared a squat in Bristol for part of their career. Their music, heavily influenced by Motörhead (and to a lesser extent Lemmy-era Hawkwind), Black Sabbath, Venom and early Killing Joke, combined with an ethos and worldview akin to Crass, represented their non-traditional lifestyles.

Amebix had an early track called "University Challenged" which appeared on the first Crass Records "Bullshit Detector" Compilation LP.

Their music blended hardcore and heavy metal into a form of early thrash metal. Such notable talents as Nausea (NY), Extinction of Mankind, Sepultura, Choking Victim, Neurosis, Napalm Death, and Deviated Instinct have paid homage to these masters.

The band split in 1987 after release/distribution difficulties associated with the Monolith LP.

Members went on to perform in Zygote. Bassist/vocalist "the Baron" now lives on the Gaelic speaking Isle of Skye and makes ceremonial swords.

In 2008 they reformed with ex Nausea drummer Roy Mayorga and have made few tours since. Most notable the U.S. one. They are now going strong after the reunion, having released an EP of re-recorded old material called Redux in 2010.

As of 2011 they have released a new album Sonic Mass.
    They disbanded on 28 November 2012.

Read More...
    Disclaimer: this biography was gathered automatically through an external music database and could be inaccurate. We don't control the information found here.

Label - Amebix Records

RECOMMENDED BANDS SIMILAR TO Amebix

Axegrinder

Anti Cimex

Deviated Instinct

Antisect

Discharge
  2. gringofred

gringofredMember Forum Member

Aug 2, 2011

amebix was one of my favorite bands but this album realy sucks

3. Mike Generic

Mike GenericExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    Agreed. I enjoyed the video for Knights of the Black Sun when it came out (I think in the summer), but yeah, the rest of the album kinda blows.

4. deadsmart

deadsmartExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 19, 2009

Hey I have this on vinyl but downloaded this , can't open it in any program as it says its "protected" and "copied from a ripped cd". Any ideas?

I've got to ask, what is it more specifically that you don't like about it ? Just curious.
    i think it's basically what should have been expected after Monolith. Amebix have always been a really experimental, genre-defying band. Its quite slow songs granted, but I think it still sounds like an Amebix record.

5. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisasterExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Punk music used to be about innovation, now people get pissed when bands sound different than they did 30 years ago.

6. Mike Generic

Mike GenericExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Mar 29, 2010
     Canada
    I dunno, I've been listening to it more, and as much as it's starting to grow on me, I doubt I would have given it a second listen if it wasn't Amebix. But that's just me. Feel free to enjoy it as much as you want though.

7. bastardator

bastardatorNew Member New Member

Sep 2, 2011

It has nothing to do with old Amebix, but I really liked the song Knights of the Black Sun. The other songs are mediocre.

8. gringofred

gringofredMember Forum Member

Aug 2, 2011

its sounds emo to me

9. Bentheanarchist

BentheanarchistExperienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

It says Its protected; anyone know what to do to play it.

10. punkmar77

punkmar77Administrator Staff Member Admin Team Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    that's weird, It sent me straight to the download...

11. Bentheanarchist

BentheanarchistExperienced Member Experienced member

Dec 10, 2010

I already downloaded it but it wouldnt play when I downloaded it. It says you have to have a liscense.

12. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    try that one, I switched it out

13. crustybeckham

crustybeckhamExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

A major disappointment. You have to like new-metal to enjoy this one. I didn't like the imagery either.
    The Lp may have some qualities but it is definitely not for me... :/

14. lazaru2000

lazaru2000New Member New Member

Aug 11, 2010
     United Kingdom
    Am I listening to a different album? I think it's definitely 'Amebix' in sound & most importantly, atmosphere. Excellent stuff.

Edit: After listening to this all the way through, & bearing in mind all the above negative critisisms, I cannot believe some of the comments I've read. This is a fucking awesome, immense album! 100% Amebix, not new metal, not 'Emo', I think some of you are getting very bogged down in tiny nuances about what 'is' or 'isn't' whatever it is you're 'into'. I don't mean to be rude or disparaging here but some of you need to realise that you are allowed to like any music you want to, especially if it comes from a band or artist you trust.

15. deranged_panic666

deranged_panic666New Member New Member

Apr 27, 2012

Can someone help me plz :)
    I need to know something ...this is unrelated
    But can ANYONE tell me what the (E) symbol means in Punk? What does it symbolize in punk?
    And what does the peace sign or the upsidedown jesus symbol sybolize in punk?
    And what does it means when they're combined?
    A peace sign with a capital E over it and both are enclosed in a circle?

I need to know...

And what does "in grind we crust" mean :/

16. lazaru2000

lazaru2000New Member New Member

Aug 11, 2010
     United Kingdom
    There was a band called the 'Epileptics' (most of whom went on to form 'Flux of Pink Indians) that used an 'E' in a circle for a logo. Apart from that, it could stand for 'Ecology' perhaps?

The peace sign is as it is meant generally, 'Peace', it has no special or different meaning to punks.

Upside-down Jesus symbol is generally an anti Christian symbol. Those two combined probably refers to how religion often causes war & conflict so 'no religion means more peace' or something like that...

A peace sign with a capital 'E' ..., er... 'peace & ecology'??

'In Grind we Crust' is a play on words/pun on the 'In God We Trust' motto which is the official motto of the USA & also is the title of an album/12" EP by the Dead Kennedys.

Generally, punk isn't ambiguous or trying to be 'clever'. Punk should be taken at face value & with a lot of humour. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Can anybody tell me what punk means?? ;)

17. crustybeckham

crustybeckhamExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Jan 22, 2012

(E) stands for equality and it was used by Flux and probably by the Epileptics.

"In grind we crust" is the name of an Hellbastard record, a reissue really, that Acid Strings did a couple of years ago, though the phrase may have appeared earlier. I know that there was a rather good compilation entitled "In crust we trust" with Cry of Terror and Confrontation among others.

As for the Amebix Lp, I still think it's a very average record. The production does sound very "new-metal", and the atmosphere of the record is more reminiscent of a second-rate Neurosis than the great Amebix era. It isn"t a terrible album, but it is very disappointing and far too clean and cheesy for me.

18. apples&onions

apples&onionsExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2012

Two tracks in and I can already tell this is going to be fucking amazing!

19. punkmar77

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    Likewise we are also allowed to be disappointed in bands that we have come know and trust...double edged sword my friend...

20. apples&onions

apples&onionsExperienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

May 16, 2012

Just wrapping up and it pulled absolutely NO punches! Fucking sick all the way through, I just love the way each song just flows into the next and just the general atmosphere created throughout. I wasn't sure what to expect what with all the complaining and conflicting opinions I had heard. To me it just seems to me like a logical progression of sound from Monolith, just with cleaner production values. I for one am a lover, it just took one listen... it may actually be my favorite Amebix. Fuck I need this on vinyl... I'll wait till I have this on vinyl till I weigh it against Monolith. Fucking dope!