Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

Activism-Where to start?

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by nodogs_nomasters, Oct 28, 2014.

1. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I've felt very passionately drawn to activism for many years now, but the truth is that I don't quite know where to start getting involved. I live in a rural area so there isn't much in the way of protests and existing organizations.
    Lately I've been thinking about organizing some people together so that we could start a community garden, put the power of food production into the hands of the people. But, truth is, I don't know jack shit about how to go about it. I was hoping that I could draw on some of your experiences and wisdom. How do you start generating attention for something like that? Flyers, posters, facebook? Any stories of successful attempts at something similar you might be willing to share? How-to books, Activism For Dummies? Haha, tell me what you guys think. :beer:

2. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Do you know how to grow food? It's quite possible that anyone you recruit will be wholly ignorant of how to farm. Not to mention that you'll be a better motivator if you know what you're trying to do, and can plan far ahead. If you don't then the first step would be getting your feet wet with some small-scale gardening. There's plenty of agricultural information on the internet, but first-hand experience is a necessity when you're growing shit.

3. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I do have a small scale garden, but I really ought to read up on it more. What plants grow best in the local climate, figure out what the best water supply plan would be, so on and so forth. Research is very important. Thanks for your input :)

4. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I should also probably get more experience growing things from seedlings, since seeds are generally more affordable. I could add some more pots out back of my duplex and get some practice there.

5. RememberGlencoe

RememberGlencoe Experienced Member Experienced member

May 12, 2014

Sounds like a plan, good luck to you :)

6. nodogs_nomasters

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    Thanks, comrade!

7. Noble one

Noble one Member Forum Member

Jan 24, 2015

Composting for gardening is a good idea. Also good for fertilizing your garden. Anything biodegradable will break itself down and cuts on smelly waste!

8. pizzapirat

pizzapirat Member Forum Member

Jan 28, 2014

hrmph... sound pathetic to start an "activism carreer" with some lonesome gardening - that's every bit as square as it sounds!

to support your good intentions, here are some clues on how to get started:

*pick something that sets you off (eg sexism, anti-immigrant racism, meat-industry, bible-mullahs, prison industrial complex, ... you're from rural us, right?)
    *find like-minded folx - this is the most crucial thing, cos if you don't want to turn into a "lone-wolf-cell" you'd need at least 4 other fellows, and don't take couples (cos they will be their own decision-making group) - it's not a "ponlitical decision" unless there are 5 of yous.
    *if you can't find such, convince ppl around you; might turn out you don't know what you're talking about, so educate yourself ("intuition" isn't a strategy)
    *now that yous r a bunch, think about decision-making BEFORE yous set a goal/plan an action (either consensus or split decisions; NEVER majority, or are ye a bolshevik?)
    *empty farm, abondoned field/plot: squat! (what were you wainting for? it's not that "activist" if you garden on "private property", is it?)
    *live more in 3D, DON'T join FedBook, might as well invite the k k k directly; find reliable means of communication OFF-GRID; at least use Linux and TOR if you go online
    *music is not essential but helpful, but don't get absorbed with it; same with any arts

*you can still do gardening, only now it's communal/collective gardening - potatoes and squash just can't fail, green beans are very rewarding, too. chili, jalapeno, piri, pepperoni or whatever you call them grow in abundance even in flower pots, and that should give you a nice vegan stew that yous could FNB -!o) (experts grow cabbages, cellery, carrots, ...)

hope i was of some help (to someone),

deadwords likes this.