Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

"Accessible" Anarcho Music.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dwtcos, Nov 28, 2009.

1. dwtcos

dwtcos Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 22, 2009

I am doing a project for school in which I will be introducing my classmates to a wide array of anarchist ideals to them and showing them how anarchy interacts with the arts. I want to expose them to anarchist music but I don't think that bands like Crass will be of any use to there virgin ears. I want the lyrics of the song to be forward enough that the ideals are clear but i also want it to be friendly to the untrained ear. Please help guys, thanks.

2. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    try the poppy sounds of Progagandhi on how to clean everything.

3. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

chumbawumba - tub thumping

though they would most likely just laugh at you
    if you played this song and talked about anarchy.
    i would.

4. CrustyElmo666

CrustyElmo666 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Oct 12, 2009

I'd say your best bet would be either Subhumans or Citizen Fish... I'd go with Citizen Fish, some pretty catchy inoffensive ska/punk (hey, my Mom likes Citizen Fish). I'd use the song "How To Write Ultimate Protest Songs" off of their first album Frees Souls In A Trapped Environment, I think that would get across what point you may have quite well...

You coul also maybe choose something out of the whole "Crack Rocksteady" genre, that ilk tends to be pretty accessible... i'd reccomend
    "The Civilization Show" (which just so happens to have Dick Lucas of sub/citizen on vocals) off of Star Fucking Hipsters new album, it actually has really, really good realistic lyrics that aren't (surprisingly) about killing cops (I attribute this lack there of to Dick Lucas' input). Catchy ska...

You could try Beltain's Fire, Anarcho Celtic fusion rap... look them up and check the songs "Carpe Diem" and "A Matter Of Will"

Some folk punk or riot folk... Mischief Brew would be a good choice "The Reinvention Of The Printing Press", "Nomads Revolt", "Every Town Will Celebrate", "Thanks, Bastards", "Gratitude And Thanks"...

I just uped some Evan Greer and you ought to check that out, very accessible intelligent riot folk...

One thing I'd advise you not to use however would be Jeffrey Lewis' Crass covers. No, just no...

I'll up some of the syuff i've mentioned that isn't already up here today or tomorrow... Hey, you culd even refer to this website if you think that would be a good idea, it woul be a good example of anarchy in the arts, don't you think?

5. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

don't water to right down though eh

6. meansofexistence

meansofexistence Active Member Forum Member

Sep 13, 2009

I know I'm gonna get bitched at for this, but you could try Rise Against. I am not really sure if they are anarchists per se, but i do know that they have very social and political lyrics that definitely lean to the left. and they are absolutely catchy, in that annoying MTV style.

i also agree that Propagandhi and Citizen Fish are both good choices.

7. Hex

Hex Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 22, 2009

maybe check out x TRUE NATURE x
    acoustic hardcore that aims to be accessible and reach those who may not be into 'the scene'. besides, Keegan is an ultra rad guy!

"xTRUE NATUREx is a music project created for the primary purpose of raising awareness around issues of Animal Liberation, Earth Liberation and the Liberation of Humyns from their voluntary enslavement to drugs of all kinds. We strive to reach people outside of Hardcore with the messages gained from such notable bands as Earth Crisis, Gather and Anchor by presenting the ideas in a format that is perhaps more easily acceptable to a larger audience."