Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

A Poison called Apathy

Discussion in 'Anarchism and radical activism' started by AnCommoRebello, Oct 24, 2014.

1. AnCommoRebello

AnCommoRebello New Member New Member

Sep 26, 2014

I've noticed something within both my friends and even others that, well, disturbs me greatly. Whenever I try to tell them (as we all usually grovel about the contrived nature of the capitalist education system) that our vexations are a result of the cocked-up, anti human turn that our education has taken in order to benefit the capitalists, they rebutted with several gut-wrenching things. "Look, its shitty man, but you just got to work with it. We can't change things, and if you truly wanted to, you'd have to become a politician." I shuddered when he told me that. But to be short, this type of apathy is quite obviously toxic to any social change and I'm perplexed as to how I or rather us could try and further any movements towards change. I've thought about possibly forming a sort of federation within my school that'll act how the C.N.T works with the working class. But I'm always open to hear any ideas from comrades. And with that, any ideas?

2. nodogs_nomasters

nodogs_nomasters Experienced Member Experienced member

Jul 15, 2014
     United States
    I think that sort of apathy is frustrating to a lot of punk/anarcho types. It is an unfortunately prevalent issue.
    Perhaps your friends are not interested in resistance, but that doesn't mean you can't broaden your scope outside of your social group. Reaching out is an excellent place to start :)
    One of the best antidotes to apathy is awareness. Spreading information about the current world dilemmas could generate interest in activism, especially if you organize a preexisting federation or club where interested parties could meet.
    Of course, you can't make the willfully blind aware. Unfortunately, there is a toxic breed of anti-intellectualism that is quite rampant these days. But, by generating more awareness you just may attract some curious black sheep. For all you know, there may even be people in your area who are already quite aware; people who would jump at the opportunity to organize with like minded individuals.

Best of luck!!

3. ollyollyoxenfree

ollyollyoxenfree New Member New Member

Oct 7, 2015

People don't want to think about it. They don't want to see the truth of the matter because to them it is simply too burdensome. And then of course there's the blind patriotism that is typical in some parts of the US where the simply refuse to acknowledge anything that could reflect poorly upon the nation they love so much. But I digress.
    You can't force them to see. The best thing you can do is associate with those who are willing to see it all for what it is.