Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

'77 punk

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by punkdude, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Bananaman

Bananaman Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Aug 9, 2009

Is this true? Because Paul McCartney back catalog is not something that can be acquired just like that. I know One Little Indian had some moderately successful artist at one point but that seems too much for a label of it's size...

2. Spider

Spider Experienced Member Experienced member

Sep 3, 2009

what about some '78 punk. The Descendents!!!! Still one of my all time fave bands, not overly anarcho but punk as fuck.

3. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

fuckin word, splittin hairs, context, how bout some stiff litle fingers anyone, how bout some food, i ain't thick it's just a trick - not 4 some aha

4. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Paul McCartney Snubs EMI Record Label: Moving To One Little Indian
    by Staff

Sir Paul Mccartney has dealt a blow to his former record label by taking away his back catalogue - and transferring his hits to a smaller independent music firm.

The Beatles legend parted ways with Emi in 2008, ending his 45-year partnership with the company, because he felt it had become "boring".

And the rocker is keen to sever every last tie with Emi - by moving his collection of solo material to One Little Indian - the London-based label that released Electric Arguments, the third album from his experimental project The Fireman.

Now McCartney is trusting the tiny company to oversee future reissues recorded since going solo in 1970, according to Britain's The Sun.

A source tells the publication, "Paul has been unimpressed with Emi for quite some time now.

"He's really enjoyed working with One Little Indian on his Fireman project, so didn't think twice about giving them the responsibility of handling his solo catalogue too." (c) WENN

This was posted by THE CHRONICLE, but a simple google search will show quite a few references and verifications of this story.

-the anxietist

5. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

Word.

Some other fantastic old-school punk bands that deserve mentioning; Germs, the Adverts, Penetration, X-Ray Spex, Generation X, the Weirdos, Cock Sparrer, the Runaways, the
    Buzzcocks and the criminally overlooked X.

6. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

not all '77 punks good but it sure was more diverse seemingly, ie: buzzcosk, can't go past spiral scratch or the clash first album but if don't like that theres a whole lot of others to choose from a whole site to, chekem out at the rather comprehensive but fun 77 punk

7. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States
    I was 10 years old in '77, everybody in california was either dancing to disco or listening to hard rock aka aerosmith, led zeppelin, etc. the clash were a godsend to a little kid who didn't fit in with everyone else, sorry ungovernable but you got it wrong on that part. They inspired me to direct action, to radical politics, to pick up a guitar and learn. There are literally dozens of punk bands you nixed with your statement about crass, conflict, and FOPI. X, black flag, the germs, x-ray spex, eskorbuto, flipper, DK...were these bands not punk? oh and dont forget the zero's, chicano punks from Chula Vista, Ca. before the Ramones......

8. the lash

the lash New Member New Member

Dec 21, 2009

why dont you climb down from your arse for a breath of freah air?

9. punkmar77

punkmar77 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member

Nov 13, 2009
     United States

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for a great morning laugh after a rough night

10. divotfreely

divotfreely Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 4, 2009
     United States
    hope you dont feel like i am trying to hijack the thread punkdude

how do you all feel about the misfits?

11. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

the misfits ruled, the misfits now suck, no really but jerry only can play a meeean bass, misfits fans can sometimes be like fan attics, dim as folk

12. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    the misfits have some of the dumbest lyrics ever. Music wise they were a bit too poppy for my tatse... and danzing always reminded me of a jim morrison impersonator... truthfully though, inspite of what i just said, i did like the misfists at one time until some idiot who thought they were the best band ever ruined them for me... Personally i'm not a fan of "gimmick" bands.

13. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure they were in a tony hawk game,
    they are about as overlooked as FEAR

Black flag formed in the same year as the clash but no one recognizes them at 77' punk
    Dead kennedys and GBH 1978... do they have to be cartoon snobs to be considered 77' punk?

14. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    does anyone like Rollins era black flag? personally Damaged and every album that came after it sucks in my opinion... they went metal, and started singing sexist songs, and i can't take rollins seriously singing about drinking and stuff when he was an avid straight edger. But i like the 3 previous singers, to various degrees... I like keith morris probably most, but mainly because of his later work with the circle jerks. and I will argue that anyone who has never heard GROUP SEX has never heard true punk...

15. Anxiety69

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    i use to wear the family man album cover t-shirt to church... i wish i had had a camera for the faces i got :lmao:

16. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

I like all the singers before rollins better, but he was still pretty good,
    the spoken word stuff like family man is pretty funny though

17. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

everyone impersonates and jim morrison please haha, the doors are as boring as most rolling borings, the first time hearing Misfits without knowing anything i went who the fuck is this, they sing mainly about horror movies being real fans and were not a gimmick when they bring the goods, all those bands acting like punks who have no energy or reality behind them are gimmicks, live the misfits ripped a new one, i went wtf for fear and x too haha yea but fans ruin everything, its music maan with a message more often than not giving it a style, we needta get outta this 'punk' music is the only phase but it does have a lineage

wat electronic punk bands do you like?
    wats blues artists influenced punk
    wat rock and roll
    mainstream pap
    disco
    soul
    funk

18. Rathryn

Rathryn Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 21, 2009

Electro: Krause, Aux Raus, Hadouken!, Adam & His Package
    RnR: Backyard Babies, The Spades, Ottoboy
    Mainsteam: Sum 41, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion
    Disco: uhm... dunno
    Soul: dunno either
    Funk: three time's the charm, dunno

Lately I've caught myself saying this a lot btw: punk is the biggest whore in music, it'll be mixed with virtually any style in virtually all degrees of success

19. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

i was almost chagrined to say mainstream but thats what r'n'r became mostly and cannot be undermined in its influence specially on bands such as the ramones which is why some people hate them but they often miss the point, then again i'm a truth seeking music fan before a punk music fan but punks speeding right up behind it so fast it influences hard, doo wop and 50 and 60s specially girly pop tunes and indy rebel rockers hit hard, when r'nr' was at its coalface leading to the 'indie' scene of ths 80's, though anti pasti were indy at the time too early on and later boxed into anarcho/it was inportant to take sides as it were at the time, the industry always kills unless you are made of toxins already fueled by the system, you can survive, just a guitar, u don't need em but when people start throwing shit maybe its time to rewrite ya songbook, listen to ya peepz or music has lost its meaning and i'm a fan of music not artwank

spose i should mention the velvet underground but i don't like em that much as a bit wishy washy even if good but don't generrtaly lump in with this genre, most people into that shit seem to make insipid uninspired crap bands, always looking for the next big thing, not punk

u would call real r'nr' garage now mostly, not the dance genre who r full of old punkas, free and easy floozy

bad religion were un mainstream for a very long time but i get ya steez

blues was huge in keeping it simple

the big boys were one of the first to introduce funk and 'hardcore' but the rightiousness(in a good way) of it came through too their cousins being wire, gang of four, pil, poison girls, no means no....

soul wise, otis redding etc etc etc and northern soul dances had a huge effect on the mods such as the who who led to bands such as the small faces which led to the spistols which then led to oi which led to mod revivals, the jam etc....then you had the exploited, it all makes sense

i see punk as purity much like tru hip hop or blues, strripping away the bullshit and rebuilding it so yea guess is is a whore but all good art generally is

JUST SO PEOPLE SEE IT, WHAT ALTERNATIVE MEDIA DOES ANYONE UTILISE? it's all at ya fingertips mostly

rant ova

20. Vegetarian Barbarian

Vegetarian Barbarian Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 19, 2009

Who cares what ungovernable thinks about the bands. ITS JUST FUCKING MUSIC. Seriously.

I never really liked the Clash, but the Ramones and Sex Pistols have some good songs. "REAL PUNK" started way before 1977.

And ungovernable would be a sellout too if someone offered millions of dollars for, lets say... his artwork (which is good shit by the way!).

Dont lie ungovernable ;)