Welcome to Anarcho-Punk.net community ! Please register or login to participate in the forums.   Ⓐ//Ⓔ

'77 punk

Discussion in 'Music, punk scene & subcultures' started by punkdude, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Outlaw_(A)_Punk

Outlaw_(A)_Punk Member Forum Member

Sep 15, 2009

I didn't want to tell you what punkrock is. The punk I like is not the punk the sex pistols did. That's all.

The Sex Pistols of today are some emo-bands ;)

No, it doesn't mean you have to become puppets, it shouldn't be a manager like Mclaren was. He/she should be more like a member of the band, a good friend who agrees with the lyrics, the opinion of the band, etc.

2. t-bag

t-bag Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 24, 2009

I still love alot of the 70's Punk,Even Picked Up a damned Vinyl not so long ago. The music was more of a bite at society than it was about any real change. It was music for disenchanted kids and it did it's part,It led to alot of serious bands forming and IMO it's just as valid as anything i listen to know. I see it as progression,Crawling to walking.

3. DrunkSquid

DrunkSquid Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 11, 2009

Fuck the Sex Pistols, fuck the Clash, fuck the Ramones and fuck Iggy Pop or whatever the fuck it is. I don't even know what Iggy Pop is?
    And don't argue with me about what bands influenced who, ect. ect.
    First, it doesn't matter if the Sex Pistols inspired Crass because they stated later they were "fooled" I think..
    Second, where do you think rock comes from? The fucking blues.... poor black people, which made it not okay for middle class white kids to listen to it, but was "legitimized" by Elvis and shit. But after the blues it was poor white people music, country rock. Then Elvis. Then the Beatles. Ect. ect. If all we are talking about is the music and you don't identify the obvious political factors with anarchopunk bands like Crass and other factors like that, that go into what the band is all about then you can't continue to argue how important the Sex Pistols were because in reality there were just a boy band of junkies. I bet Crass was also influenced by individuals who were around in the 60s too, having nothing to do with punk beside the fact that it came before it and you will obviously say the "hippie movement" influenced the "punk movement". Not because of them being called "hippies" but because of things I have read which I am not sure are true but I'm pretty sure about.

4. NGNM85

NGNM85 Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Sep 8, 2009

I've got one more name for that list...

Who Crass, or the Sex Pistols? The only person the Pistols were fooled by is their thief of a manager.

Thats' essentially true. What I think you're attempting to say is that all music is based on other music going back to some neanderthal banging bones together, just because it was influential doesn't mean you're obligated to like it. That is absolutely true. However, you ARE obligated to give credit where credit is due. I dislike the Beatles, musically, but they absolutely transformed music dramatically and cleared the path for nearly everything I do like.

This is just a logical morass. I seriously wonder if english is your primary language. If it isn't, I apologize, mind.

Thats' not remotely even close to factual. First of all, the Pistols happened organically, they chose their own members, they were not chosen. Except for a few covers, they wrote all their own material. If you were putting together a boy band, these guys would be the last candidates, except maybe Sid, but still he's no Brad Pitt.
    Second, there was only one junkie in the band, and he wasn't even an original member. Sid didn't join until just before NMTB was released, he's credited on the sleeve but essentially nothing he did made it onto the album. Glen did the lions' share, he even wrote several of the guitar lines, and co-wrote the lyrics for Submission with Lydon. The band were NOT heavy drug users. The drug of choice for the Pistols was beer, except for Sid, shortly after he joined the band, when he met Nancy Spungen. That hardly counts. You are flat out making shit up, or you're repeating nonsense you heard because you haven't read anything about these bands.

Translation: "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

5. DrunkSquid

Oct 11, 2009

A) "Who do you think they are fooling, you?"
    B) And what I think you are attempting to say is that you like those bands and you are defending them, okay whatever. I say again fuck the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Iggy Pop ect. ect. I dislike them musically and the boring and stupid fucking lyrics too.
    C) Actually no I do know what I'm talking about, they got into contact with folks who were around in the 60s and shared the same ideas. You are wrong.
    I said that because I was drunk at the time and it could be a lie, the internet is full of lies. lies lies lies!

6. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

I personally love the Ramones and the Clash. The Clash were a huge deal for involving real political statements in the early punk scene, as well as their musical experimentation, which is great to listen to.
    I just like the Ramones and the Stooges. They're more rock than punk certainly but I like their style just like I enjoy the early Who and Stones.
    The Sex Pistols were instrumental in exposing me to new music, so I owe them that much even if their music is crap and they didn't do anything but offend uptight people.
    I enjoy anarcho punk and crust the most of any genres but I have respect for older artists. There would be no Leftöver Crack without Desmond Dekker and the Skatalites (and more), just as Crass and the Subhumans owe something to the mods and rockers who came before them.

7. n0iseterrorist

n0iseterrorist Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 5, 2009

never got liked it never tried to get into it. I grew up on metal and eventually found punk through listening to crust and grindcore bands. the closest I get to it is Confilct Crass Discharge shit like that

8. SurgeryXdisaster

SurgeryXdisaster Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 8, 2009

Crass is so boring
    Pistols were in it for the money
    Clash sold out
    The Ramones are a good easy listening band

9. Rabbit

Rabbit Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 26, 2009

The Clash didn't do anything resembling a sellout until the very bitter end when it was only 2 original members, at which point they realized that it was just for the money and disbanded. The Clash deserve respect for their ethics. As someone mentioned, the Clash took a cut in their royalties so that London Calling would be a double album at a single album price.

10. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

I give up...

No, not "whatever." You said the Sex Pistols were "junkies", Sid was the only heavy drug user in the band. (Although years after they broke up Steve Jones had a heroin problem, then got clean and remains so.) Sid's drug use was a major source of friction in the band. If you knew anything about them you'd know that. You implied they were manufactured, which I've repeatedly stated is completely false. You don't even have to take my word for it, do a little research.

I don't much care for Iggy Pop, but to call the Sex Pistols', or, especially THE CLAH's lyrics stupid is just stupid. Get yourself a copy of the Essential Clash and an education while you're at it. Lydon's lyrics may have been spartan, but clearly very intelligent. Strummer was an absolute genius. Musically the ranged from raw three chord punk, to incorporating reggae, new wave, ska, and early hip hop. Not to mention, they helped set the prototype for bands like Crass to follow.

No, you obviously, obviously don't.

Thats' really immaterial.

It's also full of morons, morons, morons! Thats' why you need to read books, books, books!

11. DrunkSquid

Oct 11, 2009

Yeah to hell with you then, you said right there what I thought all along: you simply are defending a band you like and you are telling me the lyrics are brilliant because ooo, it's the Clash.

Yes I am a moron and I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't like the Sex Pistols and the Clash. Okay buddy whatever.

Well yeah they weren't manufactured and no I am not meaning to nor will I ever mean to attack the individuals in the bands. All I would like to say is that I might as well claim they were manufactured seeing as how the result was the same.

12. ASA

ASA Experienced Member Experienced member Forum Member

Nov 2, 2009

Faves, bruvas and sistas or divide and bludy conqua

13. NGNM85

Sep 8, 2009

No, it's because Strummer wrote really intelligent lyrics. For contrast take the Exploited, who you might like or not, they did NOT have particularly intelligent lyrics, I've read worse, but it's not really impressive by any stretch. The Clash don't have the enormous respect they have just out of dumb luck. They weren't randomly selected by god knows who, they earned that acclaim. Just like Shakespeare is considered a good writer, or Micharlangelo a good painter, not that I'm necessarily comparing, just that the reputation is based on merit. Have you read the liner notes? Are you coming from an informed position? I doubt it.

I don't care what music you happen to like. Thats' irrelevant. If you had said; "The Pistols and the Clash don't appeal to me musically.", or something analagous to that it would be fine. I have no interest in legislating peoples' taste. However, if you start making bogus, and uninformed accusations then there's a problem.

That doesn't logically follow.

14. oneleggedpunk

oneleggedpunk Experienced Member Experienced member

Nov 4, 2009

I remember watching the Today program(a evening news and entertainment show in Britain at the time for those who don't know) with the Pistols on and thought "yes this is it, this is the thing for me" and it started me listening to Punk. Now 30 years later i'm still listening to it and loving it. I know a few/lot of people might disagree with me but without bands like the Pistols, Clash, Damned, Ramones etc there would be no Punk of any sorts now. Bands like Crass, Discharge and so on took what the earlier bands had done and evolved it and it's been evolving ever since. So dislike their music, dislike them for what they stood for but don't try and say they're irrelevent and meaningless.

15. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

yea and anarchist is anti stateist who works towards that, thats it for me or ya get divide and bloody conquer and a fuck the lof of ya attitide, it art, art is free i don't just like stupid art, dum funs fine but if yu were that dum u wudn't survive etc, don't like fake neives but let others ir to be human to a point etc

so mayny r coopted cause they don't know the line that they stand on, its pretty simple really as i just explained and it doesn't matter how ya get there as long as its ya aim, for real

16. DrunkSquid

Oct 11, 2009

Hey NGNM85, I didn't mean to sound so negative towards you in this thread I was probably drunk when I typed all of that but I really dislike the Clash, Sex Pistols, Iggy Pop, ect. I just don't really give a damn what the music scholars have to say, if it doesn't interest me it doesn't interest me. And no I don't like or dislike a band depending on how many people have heard of them or how obscure it is, ect. Example: I like the Beatles.

So yeah sorry I didn't mean any offense and I didn't mean to sound so nasty lol.

Yeah and without the blues rock and roll would not have happened, sure.

17. ASA

Nov 2, 2009

18. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    Sounds like Rudimentary Peni's "Rotten to the core" is being held as scripture...

and for the record, I alos like the ramones and iggy pop (more so the stooges), and to lessser degree the clash, and while i'm not a huge fan, i can rock out to a few sex pistols songs. I don't feel that everything I listen to has to be anarcho, or even have a message. music for pleasure is ok.

-the anxietist

19. NuclearArmedHogs

NuclearArmedHogs Active Member Forum Member

Nov 8, 2009

I know a lot has been said about this particular post but I'd like to add that this attitude within our scene is often discomforting to newer punks who might not have heard the more obscure anarcho bands yet. Everyone starts somewhere. I also want to mention that this sort of disdain for popular bands also sucks the fun out of participating in the scene. I mean, even if they HAD sold out, are these bands really worthy of trashing? The Ramones might not have written the most politically engaging tunes - who cares? They played fast music, and had fun while doing it. Jello Biafra saw them live once and was hooked, ran out and started the Dead Kennedys. The Sex Pistols were a wild bunch, their attitude struck fear in the hearts of the conservative working class and middle America (when they sort-of toured here). It could be argued the sense of nihilism and disillusionment with the world around them contributed greatly to the attitudes purveyed by later bands in the UK like Discharge, Chaos UK, and GBH. The Clash were always bouncing from one sound to another, no two songs would sound alike. They might not have used a pure punk formula, but they were creative and reached deep into their bag of tricks to surprise listeners from album to album. Even if you're not a fan of these bands, recognize them for what they are: all essential pieces to the punk subculture.

And for the record, I'd rather listen to a Ramones record over a Crass record any day. Crucify me.

20. Anxiety69

Anxiety69 Experienced Member Uploader Experienced member Forum Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Male , 46 years old
    Long Beach CA  United States
    For the record, Flux of pink indians are bigtime sellouts- they started one little indian records, which has a history of greed and mistreating it's artists, and now owns the entire Paul McCartney back catalouge. So I guess u should start hating FOPI and labelling them as sellouts too.

-the anxietist